Orthopedics Community
Dupuytren's contracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Dupuytren's contracture

Does anyone in this forum know anything about Dupuytren's contracture.  My husband has this problem in his hand and in the last year it has gotten worse.  The orthopedic doctor said that either surgery or an injection called Xiaflex.  My husband chose the injection.  His doctor only did two procedure.  This is a newley approved by the FDA in 2009.
Did the injection help at all?  The ortho that I worked for rarely gave injections for this, and when he did, it was cortisone.  They weren't usually all that helpful but it's good to start conservatively instead of jumping right into surgery.  If he lets it go though, he could lose the use of his hand over time.  The surgeon I worked for only did a couple of these procedures during the time I was there but the patients did very well and were glad they had gone throught the surgery. Best of luck!
No he did not have  the injection.  He is waiting for the insurance to give authorization...