Orthopedics Community
Edema on Top of Foot after fall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Edema on Top of Foot after fall

Hi, I slipped and fell over a week ago and directly after the fall I had a huge hematoma form on the top of my right foot. (It was twisted behind me when I fell) I went to the ER the next evening after Icing it all night and day and elevating it in hopes of reducing the swelling and hematoma.  The ER doc said it wasn't broken, just sprained, gave me some 800 mg motrins and sent me home.  It's over a week old now and the swelling hasn't gone down and the bruise is more diffuse.  I have a constant pins/needles sensation too.  My cap. refill is most definitely delayed ( I used to be a nurse) but the color of the foot is a pinkish/purple, so not blue or anything like that.  I also can't put much weight on it.  I called my doc this week to get seen and never got a response other than his nurse saying go back to the ER which is the last place I want to go.  But the foot is hurting so very bad and I can barely lift it now nor can I put weight on it without being in very bad pain.
I also want to add that my right knee is also still swollen, I went down on the knee too, and sends shooting pains through my leg.  The Doctor at the ER said it's nothing, just a little swelling on top of my knee.  It looks like a good 2-3 cm mass of fluid on the knee cap and is dark red.