Orthopedics Community
Enchondroma should I be worried????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Enchondroma should I be worried????

I recently had a full body bone scan looking for enthosopathy, my Rhuematologist contacted me and ordered more tests an x-ray and then a CT scan as they have discovered an enchondroma in my right femur. My rhuematologist wasnt really concerned about it and said I can have it re scaned in 3mths if I want. My local Dr was a bit more concerned and said he would have it re x-rayed in 6mths. My questions is should I be having this re done at 3mths as suggested on my scan results or should I not worry for 6mths. From what I have read enchondromas are very difficult to diagnose between that and a low grade cancer. I have clear margines on both sides but im really worried about how fast enchondromas can grow and also if it could be cancer?????
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Lytic lesions in the X-ray are found in Enchondromas and the prognosis is good.
You should go for 3 months as the chances in long bones known to undergo malignancy are more compared to the small bones.
The unsightly appearance is generally the indication for treatment. The lesion is curetted thoroughly, and the cavity, if it is big, is filled with bone grafts.

Take care!
Thankyou for the reply. I will have it checked at 3mths through my rhuematologist as it was through having other test with her that this was discovered. I must admit that I have been getting some short sharp pains in the area and it makes me very nervous!

Thanks again

Leanne
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Check with an orthopedician who has specialized in tumors.
There are oncologist orthopedicians available.

Take care!
Thankyou will an oncologist do test other than ct or xray eg: biopsy not sure of the difference between oncologist ortho and orthopedician.

Regards Leanne
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

All orthopedicians are not experienced to deal with tumor surgeries.

The orthopedician who has experience in cancer surgeries will be an expert if you need a surgical correction for your enchondroma.

That was my motive in telling you to find out an orthopedician who has specialized in onco-surgery, so that if the need arises over a period of time you would need him.

Take care!
Thankyou so much you have been very helpful, I just wish I had a crystal ball so I could look into the future and know that this enchondroma was nothing to worry about. I must admit it really makes me feel uneasy knowing its there, I have pains in that leg but because I have spondyloaropathy im not sure if its from that or the tumour.

Regards
Leanne
Ok so in the last 4 days I have been waking up in the night with searing pain at the  site of my enchondroma. So I made an appointment with my GP and saw him today. He has DR Vinod as you said reffered me to see an oncologist Orthapedic Surgeon who deals with these kind of tumours. It has been 2 and half months since my last CT scan and they requested that I have it rescaned at 3 mths so im guessing they will take more pictures to see if it has grown. Unfortunately my Dr was unable to give me much more info as he has never had or seen a patient with an enchondroma so didnt know much about them. So im not sure what happens from here but I will be making an appointment first thing Tuesday morning as we have a long weekend here in Australia.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Do some research about orthopedic surgeons who are specialized in tumor surgeries and take an appointment for back up and suggestions.

Keep going for follow ups and take control of the situation and do not worry.

Take care!
Ok so I went to see the orthapedic oncologist yesterday and Ive come away not knowing what to think. He has told me that yes it is deffinitely and enchondroma. He looked at my xrays and scans from 3 mths ago and didnt get me to do anymore. He has said that only 5% turn to cancer and that he will see me once a year for 5 years and watch for changes or growth. What im wondering though is why am I getting so much pain from it. I told him It was painful and he asked me to point out were and when I did he said yes thats were the tumour is but I doubt thats that is why you have pain there. I understand that I have arthritis throughout my body but this is absolutely different pain. I just feel uneasy that it wont be checked for a year and that I now have to put up with extremely painful stinging over that area. :( Any thoughts????

Leanne
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Yes, he is right about it that it is a benign tumor mostly and very few tumors change into malignant form.

You can have a second opinion and have it checked annually till you have symptoms. With absence of symptoms you can get yourself checked with a little longer gap. You can take intermittent pain killers for the pain.

I would repeat the same as i did in my last post “Try to find an orthopedician specialized in bone tumors (oncology)".

Take care!
I am wondering how you are doing?  I have similar symptoms (pain in my leg) and Enchondromas around my hip area that were just diagnosed by an MRI.  Now I have to see an orthopedic surgeon.  So, I am wondering how things turned out with you.  I hope you are okay and that it didn't turn out to be cancer.
       Hi, I am a 48 yr old woman had x-rays done 3 yrs ago have degenerative bone an disks, the first x-ray showed no bone tumors, had another one done two wks ago with an mri and a enchondroma was found 2.7 cm-3.0-1.9 is this something I should be worried about?  lot of pain and even at night when at rest.