Orthopedics Community
Excision of radial head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Excision of radial head

3372410?1220739806
I fractured my radial head in a fall in December 2007. I was given a 1 inch thick collar and cuff to wear and attended physiotherapy for the next 8 months. My arm was still not straight so last week I had an excision of the radial head.
My arm is now covered in a layer of cotton wool and an elastic bandage from my wrist to elbow., and the incision is held with several staples, and I have a sling.
Does anyone know how long the staples stay in, and how long I will need to keep it in the sling? The swelling in my hand has only just gone down and I know I cannot drive for 4-6 weeks.
I have been out sick since last December as I need full use of my arm for my job. Is this typical for this kind of injury? At first I was told the recovery would take about 6 weeks!
Hello tatt2,

It seems that the injury and the trauma has been extensive. Are you diabetic? Was there any infection or fever post operatively? If yes, then those factors might delay the recovery process.
Take ibuprufen and serratiopeptidase to accelerate the healing. Get an X ray done to know th status of the bone formation. Take calcium supplementaipon and consult an orthopedician.

Best
Thanks for the reply. I am not diabetic and painkillers have no effect! I was told to do my exercises but cant rotate my forearm because of the pain and the clicking.
hi I had my radiad head remove in april I have had 6 mos of o.t.and still haveing pain no end .if you still have a lot pain go back to dr .if you have  no luck see a other dr the frist mos I had truble rotate  my arm go to place that has go o.t. not pt
I had a fall in Crazy Horse(a bar downtown) due to poor lighting...I and three other friends did not get a chance to order a drink when I fractured my radial head,broke my middle toe on my left foot plus skinned 18inches of my right front leg.All from steel tips nailed on steps of this bar.The bar that day just so happend to be "conserving"energy that day and I was the one who was escorted to the patio(to smoke) by the manager their with a long 20" black flashlight.Given no instructions on how to return to where my friends were,I got tired of waiting for the manager to escort me with his flashlight to our table.Not being familiar with their floor layout,I found myself at the bottom of three steps with no one to help me up.To make a longer story shorter two months later I under went excision of my radial head in April 2008 two hours away from my hometown.Physical therapy only 9 or 15 times my ulnar is in acheing pain I have inflammation in my wrist so many complications when I put my arms side to side my right arm is 1-2 inches shorter.My doctor did not tell me all the syptoms (symptoms) of possibilities or outcomes that occur after the removal.I have not the regular use of my hand my fingers ache my hole arm from shoulder to tips of fingers hurt me unable to sleep ect.ect.ect. goodluck with your removal of radial head..even typing is excrutiateing...Lily Garcia 530-332-9070 if u have ????s