Orthopedics Community
Extreme Knee Pain/no swelling/no injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Extreme Knee Pain/no swelling/no injury

I'm a female ... mid forties... active and up until now, in good health

I've never had a problem with my knees, but a week ago I was laying across the bed and a severe pain struck me behind the knee cap. I was in tears instantly.

It is a constant pain... varying from a dull ache and amping up to a crescendo of high pitch... There is no pattern to it... walking or laying down makes no difference. There is no position where there is relief.

I don't like to take pain pills, they upset my stomach but had a few Loratabs left from a dental problem. They lowered the volume, but still the pain was intense. My family doctor referred me to an orthopedic surgeon and prescribed Percocet until my appointment. Same results as the Loratabs.

The pain in my knee set off a topical pain down the front of my shin... I can control that with Elcon cream. It also affects the Sartorius muscle‏, but I can vibrate that and it stops. Those areas have different types of pain, but both radiate from the knee.

2 days ago I woke up and a brown bruise about the size of a quarter was on the side of my knee cap. It's not a bad bruise, but there are 2 black dots about half inch apart inside of the bruise. They look like small punctures, sort of like you get with a shot.

Today, I saw the specialist... I've used him before for a frozen shoulder and had excellent results with a cortisone type injection in the shoulder joint.

He took a few images and couldn't see a problem. Then he spent about 20 minutes checking all the pressure points. He explained, that certain points when pressed would indicate the problem and that I wouldn't be able to stand his touching it. Nothing hurt any worse when he pressed, but the pain was already severe. When I didn't react, he checked them again and was puzzled by my lack of reaction.

When he saw the bruise, he questioned me at length about how it got there. When I finally made him understand, it just came there while I was asleep, he said he'd never seen anything like that. I asked if there was something leaking from under the kneecap and he said no.

He said that without further tests, he couldn't tell what was wrong. He said, this was the first time in his career he had seen a patient be in such pain, without responding when the pressure point was pressed. I asked him about tests and he said an MRI.... Without explanation, that is out for me.

I asked for a cortisone shot and he agreed to try it... but said it might take as long as 72 hours to feel the full effect. He didn't come right out and say it, but he didn't appear to think it would do much good... but wouldn't hurt to try.  

Has anyone here had a similar problem, or know of something I can ask him to check?

Thanks in advance for any information

Sassy_

My girlfirend has such pain in her knee although she is only 18. She has never had anything wrong with it previously it just started hurting and now hurts in both knees. The doctors think that it is Rheumatoid arthritis but the chemo pills haven't helped at all. so if you find out what this is please let me know.
Your problem sounds like mine exactly. I am early 40's, healthy, not overweight, and about two months ago I developed unexplained left knee pain. It hurts when I sleep, it hurts when I walk. Some days it is worse than others. Then this past weekend, I developed a series of light bruises around my kneecap. I am fearing arthritis but the bruising is certainly strange. Let me know if you learn anything more.
KK
I am 25 years old, almost 3 weeks back i felt heaviness in my right leg especially the knee area..for abt 2 days it was mild, i went to a local doc who gave me Muscadol- a pain killer..the pain was still mild..i was bck to work and suddenly i felt so weak in my leg and the pain was unbearable below the knee cap ,gradually the pain spread to my calf and back of my thigh but there was no swelling at all..no redness no bruises...i tried al sorts of heat rubs and pain killers ...wich showed temporary effect. went in for an x-ray fearing arthritis or rheumetisis..later figured out its a sprain...was put on some more pain killers n more heat rubs...asked the doc if i shud go fr an MRI ,to wich he replied not needed. at the moment there is no pain in the knee but i still feel a strong pain in the calf n back of my leg especially while sleeping and in the mornings....now without wasting any more time m heading to a specialist fr an mri....havent been wearing high heels since the pain started. will keep u posted with the results.
I'm a 20 year old college football player. I play on the defensive line so I'm constantly hitting 300+ guys day in and day out. My knee pain started my senior year in high school 3 years ago, but now is becoming more of a problem and a burden because the pain it is grting worse and worse. Im praying it's not arthritis. Tendonitits might be the problem but the excercises the trainers tell me to do don't work! If I sit down for too long my knees begin to ache! The urge to stand up is unbelievable! If I stand up for too long I have to sit down and give my knees a break! Squaring with weights is definitely out of the question! If anyone knows a possible diagnoses of what I may have and/or treatment for me it would be GREATLY appreciated! Please contact me at ***@****

God Bless
MJ
my husband had sudden knee pain a week ago , it is most unbearable while driving , he did not injure it , there is no swelling,  even when I drive we have to pull over so he can stretch it out the door , very, very painful, hard to go upstairs, he had acl surgery on the other knee about three years ago, but he had injured it while shoveling , but this one is sudden for no reason, the pain is in the right leg and radiates all the way down , very sharp   .
i am only 16 years old and have been dealing with severe knee pain for 3 years. i have been to 3 doctors (one specialist) so far and i have had two surgeries(in less than a year) i had a plica removal surgery and a lateral release procedure. i have had two cortisone shots(neither did any good to help with the pain.) and i am now on my fifth round of physical therapy and i am making great progress strength wise but i still have pain. i myself am still trying to find someone that will give me a diagnosis and i will finally have pain-free days. if anyone has an idea to help.. it is very much appreciated.
look up pseudogout its painfull knee pain, hot, no swelling .
has anyone at all found out what's the cause? I, too, woke up yesterday with extreme knee pain that no matter how many pain meds I take, it isn't stopping
Hello- I am a 38yr old, healthy, in good shape female.  I exercise lightly but on a regular basis.  I started having unexplainable severe knee pain.  No idea how or why.  No injury, no swelling, no bruising.  I had my knee examined, Xrays done, and everything looked great. I decided to change the sneakers I was using to exercise and actually use sneakers when using the eliptical at home and as God is my witness - problem solved!!!!!!!! No more knee pain.

I hope my story helps someone.
M
I have a similar issue. I am 20 and have had my knee problem for about 10-11 years. My right knee will "flare up" and have extreme pain. It doesn't hurt to move or touch it. I can walk and even sprint while the pain is there. There is no physical indication either but the pain is unbelievable. To put it into perspective, I ruptured my spleen in two different places while playing hockey in high school. I finished the entire game and ate dinner with my friends before going to the hospital. I nearly bled to death and died. I refused any pain killers the whole first 24day hours because I wanted to be aware of everything before my internal bleeding was stabilized. That was a cake walk compared to my flare ups. I can't describe the pain but it is tear inducing. It wakes me if I am sleeping and nothing relieves the pain. Sometimes, it lasts an hour others 10 hours. It can happen every day for a week straight or it can be months before it happens again. It's almost always late at night or early in the morning and NEVER unless I am very tired up and up to near exhaustion. Also, standing for 60 or more minutes causes my knees to burn with the fire of 1000 suns. It becomes completely unbearable after about 4 hours, which is very difficult considering my job requires me to be on my feet 40 hours a week. I wish I could find relief. There is never any physical indication and doctors and family just think I'm an idiot.
Your husbands situation is just like mine. I am in such pain while driving home. I went to my orthopedist and he told me physical therapy 3x a week for 6 weeks. He took an x-ray, which showed nothing. Did you ever find out exactly what was wrong with his knee????
i'm 14 years old i have had severe knee pain in both of my legs for over a year no bruising no swelling sometimes it's everyday for a few hours and sometimes it stops for a few month and then comes back nothing changes what ever position i'm in if i'm standing sitting or laying down.
please help if you have any information about it.
Do you by chance have a swollen lump just below your knee cap? My 13 year old son has something called Osgood Schlatter Disease this is caused when the growth plate gets injured before you are done growing. It can cause a swelling just below your knee cap of the patellar tendon. It is irritated by activity of any kind, especially twisting or jumping. It can flare up and then go away only to come back again. There is no treatment but rest and ice an usually goes away once you stop growing.