Orthopedics Community
Extremely painful dent in my shin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Extremely painful dent in my shin

About 5 years ago, I hit my shin very hard on some slippery stairs.  It was very hard to walk or put weight on it for about a month and if anything touched my shin (including cloths), it would be extremely painful.  After the pain was gone. I had a decent size, visible dent in my shin.  It hasn't bothered me in a few year, until I hit it again the other day.  Now, it is bruised, very painful (it takes my breath away), but I can walk on it.  There does seem to be a bit of swelling.  It is possible that I fractured or damaged the shin bone?  I thought that it was suppose to be one of the strongest bones in the body.  Is there any point to going to the doctor now?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the possible cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include stress fractures, muscle inflammation, periostitis, vitamin/ micro-nutrient deficiencies, neuro-muscular/ vascular issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!