Orthopedics Community
Femur Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Femur Pain

I broke my femur 4 years ago.  Had screws in knee and hip removed, the rod in femur is still in.  1 year ago, I was running 5 miles, pain free.  Now, I cannot run.  I get pain in my femur.  The pain is anywhere from a 2 to an 8 (on a scale of 1 to 10), where sometimes it just hurts to walk.  X-rays do not show anything abnormal.  

What are the possible causes of this?  Could it be the rod?  Could it be Osteoma?  What else could it be?

Any suggestions on what to do next?  Are there certain tests I should ask for?

(My current insurance doesn't cover anything with the rod as it's from a pre-existing condition.  I paid cash to have the screw out of my knee, hoping that would alleviate the pain, but that's not it.  So, any advise on what to do about it next I would appreciate.  I am a 30 yr old, female, very active (well, used to be moreso), but in good shape otherwise)

Thank you!
DId you ever get any answers about your pain?  Our daughter wasin a car accident and broke her femur in 3 places so they inserted a titanium rod.  Everything healed well but then 6 months later she started getting severe leg pain 8-9 on scale of 10.  She was hospitalized 4 times and all they did was give her mass doses of pain killers.  THese episodes are still ocurring and last 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  She gets them approximately once a month.  Her surgeon says everything looks ok and the neurologist did testing and didn't see severe nerve damage.  We are at a loss .....    thanks
You had sustained fracture of the femur a year ago and was managed by the internal fixation of the rod.
Can you be still descriptive about the pain.
Have an consultation with your ortho surgeon and have discussion with him about the implant and the time frame for removal
I also had a rod implanted in the left femur and 2 screws in knee and 1 screw in hip in 1999, after atv accident. I had the 2 screws removed in my knee a year after surgery.I have always had some discomfort but, In the past 3 years I have had lots of pain in my femur in the spot where i broke it(6 in above knee).I have been back to the dr that did the surgery and they took several x rays.they determined everything was 100% healed.After no answers there I decided to go elsewhere.Went to different dr and they did x rays and said the same thing. But they also said that 15% of people who have implants of hardware,thier bodies dont accept it,and that I fell into that 15%. The only way out of it is removal of the rod.I can't do that cause they say 6 mo recovery before back to work.I have a family to feed and a 1 yr old son.That option is out.
Forgot to mention that the first dr recommended PT after 12 years. Second DR said no PT,my qaud was as strong as my other.
I have accepted to walk with a limp,but i want the pain to go away. Any one else like this?
I broke my femur two years ago and had a plate and 7 screws put in my leg. I was forced out of bed the morning after my surgery and put on crutches by my physiotherapist (I thank him now). 3 months later I was walking with a limp. A month after that I had the plate and screws removed. After getting the hardware removed I walked out of the hospital! Doctors tell give you a way linger recovery rate than you really need. I am now perfectly fine. I can walk, run, bike, snowboard, and surf perfectly fine with 0 pain. Get the hardware removed and I'm sure the pain will stop. If you are very active and you practice some physiotherapy after the surgery I'm sure you can cut the recovery time in half.