Orthopedics Community
Femur Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Femur Pain

I started having unexplained bruising 18 months ago.  4 months ago I started getting pain in my right femur.  Then there was warm spots on the skin where the pain was.  I saw a Dr. right away then went onto a speicalist, orthopedic oncologist.  There was an MRI done, came back abnormal.  Showed something in the bone marrow in that femur.  I was sent onto Mayo CLinic  to another Orthopedic ONcology specialist.  He told me I did not have any problem in that bone, dispite looking at the MRI and saying there is something there.  HE refered me onto an OB/GYN.  All tests and biopsies there were just fine.  I have just made a trip to another specialist, in the same field, at a University.  THe only testing left to do is a bone marrow biopsy, having to drill into that femur bone and try to pull out some marrow from that spot that showed up on the MRI.  No one will do this biopsy.  First they say my femur bones are extremely thick and it will be very hard to drill into them.  They say  they don't think it is cancer because it is not showin up in the blood work.  The pain is getting worse and worse all the time.  I do not sleep because the pain wakes me or keeps me awake.  I limp all the time, the pain does not go away, it is always there.  I don't know where to go or what to do next.  Has anyone had this happen or can anyone help me with some ideas here.  Seriously in pain!
Up on reading your post I felt your pathology would be related to hemato-oncology and hence all investigation related to hemato-oncology should have been done including bone marrow study.
Bone marrow study is a must if you have unexplained bruising, pain in femur etc.
I think you should be consulting another hemato-oncologist and ask him to bone marrow study as early as possible.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Thank you for your post.  I want to find someone who is willing to atleast consider the marrow biopsy.  I am in more pain each day and am at the end of my ropes.  I know there is something wrong.  AFter seeing 2 specialists and both are not willing to do the biopsy I am at a loss as to where to go now.  Thank you again though for posting back.  I hope to hear from maybe others who have had these symptoms and what they have had done and found out too.  Write more is you wish to.
bye
How are you feeling? Did you find any doctor who is ready to do biopsy?
Bone pain usually suggests that either there is injury in tendon, cartilage or bone per se.
You have bruising also along with bone pain suggest, it might ne tumor or any growth affecting your femur.
Bye.
I have not found a Dr. to do the bone biopsy.  I am going to see another Dr. Next week and then there are further testing we are going to do.  No one will tackle to bone biopsy at this time.  I don't know what else to do other then follow through with these next test. Taking it one day at a a time.  I am in so much pain and all I want to do is get rid of it and know what is going on.  Thank you for the post.
bye
I am terrified! I have femur pain (In the Center of my thigh)  at random times, some times so badd i have a hard time walking,
     ,I have a history of IBC in the left breast with 6 nodes removed all were clear, my last mamo was clear  I am up for a new one this next month, I tested for a DVT by ultra sound with negative results so then my Oncologist asked me to get a Xray and then a bone scan to see "whats going on"
       I do have L4 L5 S1 fused and i am a cronic (chronic) pain patient, I do have random sharp shooting pain in my back , I realize you can not diagnose but my question is could cancer be that agressive and cause pain this bad and this fast of a growth rate from my last bone scan a year ago?  Could radiation therapy cause this pain?  I am terriefied I have this overwhelming feeling I can not explain,
hello,
for the past week and half i have had pain in my right thigh and it is random pain.. it seems to stop me from walking at times. It is not that i am in severe pain but almost that i start limping so i can continue walking. Does this make sense? i have never had this before and i am concerned! Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Is it an injury related pain?, if yes go for an X-ray. You sometimes have pain with insect bites and also twisting of your leg during sleep. There are many muscles attached to the thigh bone and any inflammation, sprain or pull will give you pain. Take some anti inflammatory drugs and if the pain does not decrease you have to visit an Orthopaedician for examination. Take care!
Hi mymommyof6,

I am having similar symptoms and would like to know whether you finally got a diagnosis.
hi,
I have left femur pain that keeps up all night. I limp all the time and pain is 24/7. Nobody understands doctors brush it off as nothing is wrong.
I used to have severe aching in all my long bones and pelvis.   I discovered eliminating corn stopped the pain.   It turns out i make too many platelets too.  Recently i ate something with corn in it and all of the pain came back.  I have also cut out gluten, white sugar and nightshades and added more raw foods while taking 1000 mg of D3 per my primary doc's instructions.  My family history included many cancers. I have no markers indicating anything.

Maybe this is worth a try.