Femur fracture?
My 12 year old son fell over 3 weeks ago at school and came home complaining of a very sore knee. After a few days it became worse and he had very little movement and was very painful and swollen. Eventually we got him to A&E where he was diagnosed with possible ligament damage, he has been on crutches the last 2 weeks and had a tight bandage & padding up the whole length of his leg.

Another appt with the fracture clinic today has raised a suspicion of a fractured femur which is rather a surprise as he had X-rays 2 weeks ago which were negative. Our concern now is how long he will take to heal and what is the likely treatment for what I'm guessing is a hairline fracture.

The other added problem is that he has previously suffered with tight tendons due to being a "toe walker" from infancy, he's due to have an operation next year when he's 13 to lengthen the tendons but for now they are very painful because of lack of use, this was noted by the doctor when he was laying on his front.

We are going on holiday in about 6 weeks and are unsure now what to do as we are unsure of the prognosis....
With proper treatment he will be ok in 4 weeks. Then he has to do mild PT and if he is fine in 2 weeks he has still a chance to go to the holiday.
Rest, proper diet and immobilization of the part is the primary rule of fracture healing.
Tendon lengthening and strengthening can be done later.
Take care!