Orthopedics Community
Fibrous Dysplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fibrous Dysplasia

I have had pain in my left leg, particularly in hip flexor and thigh, for about 2 months.  An MRI and CT indicate that it is fibrous dysplasia.  

What is the usual course of treatment for this condition?  Does it always involve surgery?  My main concern is control of my pain.

Are there any other diagnostic tests you would advise?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

A typical ground glass appearance on an X-ray will confirm fibrous dysplasia. Expansion of the involved bone and also deformity of the bone can be seen in an X-ray. You already had an MRI and CT.
Other non specific tests are alkaline phosphatase enzyme levels are elevated in blood and elevated levels of hydroxyproline in urine but these are not specific only for fibrous dysplasia.

You can go for braces and supports but you have to watch the dysplasia and whenever it grows you have to take preventive measures. You can try biphosphonates to relieve the pain along with anti inflammatory drugs.

Surgical treatment is often necessary with the following findings:
Symptomatic lesions that have not responded to nonsurgical treatment, displaced fractures, hairline cracks that do not heal with casting or bracing, progressive deformity or presence of cancer.

Take care!