Orthopedics Community
Fifth Metatarsal Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fifth Metatarsal Fracture

I had a fracture to my fifth metatarsal 3 weeks ago. A cast was put to restrict movement. The doctor says he can remove the cast and put a splint. In the meantime, he presrcibe 3 different tablets: Norflex, Celebrex and Kotase(Bromelain). He asked me to take one of each tab twice a day for 5 days before removing the cast. According to him, this will reduce the pains i will feel when the cast is removed. However, i am a bit worried about the drugs. I'm bothered there might be some after effects. I'm also worried the drugs might be too strong. Please what do you think?

Thank you'
Lizzy
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

Celebrex is celecoxib is a pain killer and both norflex injections and kotase are also pain relieving drugs .Titrating it to proper dosage and consumption for few days will cause very few side effects.

Discuss with your orthopedician and you can limit the number of drugs but the very idea of your doctor is to take you through very little pain once he removes the cast. There will be pain due to stiffness and these agents will reduce the pain once you are in physical therapy.

Take care!
Avatar n tn
thanks..  I appreciate your comments.