Orthopedics Community
Finger Swelling / dislocation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Finger Swelling / dislocation

Well, I dislocated my finger playing football and popped it back into place immediately after I saw it happen. I went and iced it for a half an hour and went to the doctor and got an xray the next day. they said there was very very tiny chip and that all i had to do is wear a splint for 2-3 weeks. after 2-3 weeks, the finger was still swollen from the first knuckle on the finger and up. and the whole finger pointed slightly in towards the palm when i held my fingers straight up.
I went and got another xray at 5 weeks at a different doctor. that doctor said that the join was perfectly fine and it was nice and healed, and all i had to do was massage it for the swelling to stop. i've been massaging it everyday since then.
i'm almost at 7 weeks. my finger is in the exact same condition it was when i got the xray. i'm afraid that my finger might be permanently disfigured, which would not allow me to play any sports, lift weights, or do anything. i am still able to bend the finger, however, not nearly to the same degree that i was previously able to. please let me know if there is a solution.

It's normal that the movements gets restricted after prolonged immobilsation (as is the case with you). Consult a physiotherapist, i am sure that every thing will be fine.
Rest your fingers COMPLETELY.Do not move your fingers ATALL.Wear a creep bandage tightly for 24 hrs and check for the swelling if it has reduced.
Take low protein diet for a week.A 'hairline' fracture will take 4-6 weeks to heal.
Take care,
Good luck.