Orthopedics Community
Finger Swelling and Pain Weeks After Injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I banged my wedding ring finger playing football - was fouled and I hit the barriers pretty hard. Anyway it was sore initially and swelled up a bit and could see that it was sore just by looking at it. It seemed to heal a bit but now it's still swollen, in fact a bit worse, looks red, the joint at the top of my finger is tight when I bend it and it generally is causing me a lot of pain...I dont think it's broken but I wondered if anyone knew what it could be?

Thanks.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to say. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, injuries to supporting ligaments/ tendons etc. It would be best to have this examined by a primary care physician or an orthopedician or visit the ER, to rule out the same and for appropriate management. Meanwhile it is advised to keep the finger straight and avoid movement around the joints. Ice-packs and OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!