Orthopedics Community
Finger arthrodesis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Finger arthrodesis

Back in january this year (2011) I broke the end of my left pinky finger. The first surgery was a disaster, the finger was now dislocated! The 2nd surgery (july 2011 at a different hospital!) was a arthrodesis of my left pinky end joint to fix the dislocation (the fracture healed on its own). Now I have a pin in my finger. The pin is only visable on an x-ray as it is internal.Will this type of pin be removed? If so when/how? Also, I have very little movement in my left pinky (about 5%) will this improve? I'm in pain quite a bit and the feel of it is awful! Can you help?
Tags: left
Hi there!

The pin is unlikely to be removed in future. Also the movement is unlikely to improve after arthrodesis. I would suggest getting the pain evaluated by your orthopedician for secondary causes such as contractures, nerve impingement/ pressure, vascular insufficiency, infections, inflammations, degenerations, fractures etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this was helpful.

Take care!
Thank you very much for replying :)! That helps!