Orthopedics Community
Finger hyperextension

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Finger hyperextension

I fell at a baseball game around 6 weeks ago, I fell on my hand and fingers were bent back under me. I had x-rays done and have 2 small fractures in Pinki finger, However, My pointer finger 2ND joint is twice the normal size, skin keeps peeling off, and I can't fully straighten it out. Also, the back of my hand and palm swell when I use them for a period of time. The pain in my hand is about a 6 on pain scale. I have been to the Dr. twice now. I ice it and massage it as best I can tolerate. I also can't make a fist. It feels like something is gonna pop in the joints and the skin looks and feels like it will split open. If I lay my hand on a flat surface my Pointer finger and palm won't touch the surface of the table. Am I nuts or could something be really wrong. I live in a small town, with not real stellar doctors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Wear a finger splint immediately and visit an orthopedician with the X-rays.

If this cannot be corrected conservatively you would need finger surgery.

Take care!
Thank you, I did go see a hand surgeon and he acted like I was wasting his time. He looked at my x-rays and thats it. Said to do Physical Therapy, and if not better come back in 6 weeks. I still can't bend my index finger, and it is 1 & 1/2 times the normal size, and my hand swells after using it for a while, nad my finger gets very warm, and looks like it's gonna pop. It has been over 6 weeks since this happened and still no pain relief. I hurts so bad, I've considered going to urgent care, just to get some relief. Thanks for your time I truely appreciate it.