Finger pain - Can I see a general Doctor?
I've had pain in my finger (when I twist a lid on can or do anything similar to that) for about 10 weeks.  My question is, can my general family doctor treat injuries of this type (make a splint, prescribe range of motion routine), or do I have to see an orthopedic doctor?  The reason is, I'm in a real jam financially, and seeing my general doctor whom I'm already established with would be significantly cheaper.  
A pain in finger could be due to various reasons. (by the way, is it the thumb?) Also, since you mention the pain being present since last 10 weeks, I think you might have unknowingly injured your finger (some twist injury) which might have led to some ligamental sprain. You can certainly visit your family doctor and I am sure he can help you with it since it doesn't look to be too serious to visit an orthopedist.
Do let us know about the inferences!

Regards,
Mamta
It's my index finger.  I think I injured it when trying to twist off an unusually tight cap of a poor designed water bottle.