Orthopedics Community
Finger tendon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Finger tendon

In Aug 09 I had surgery on my index finger to remove a gangloid cyst.  Afterward, the end of my finger hung down and I was unable to move it.  A hump formed on the top of the joint.  The surgeon had me splint the finger for about 6 weeks, stating that the "tendon  had flattened out" due to the cyst.  After 6 weeks no improvement so I went to a different ortho surgeon.  He monitored the finger and advised he thought the tendon was not attached to the finger.  In Dec 09 he performed another surgery.  He advised that the tendon was not attached to the finger when he was able to open up the finger. He stated it was curled up around the joint.   He reattached the tendon with what he described as a "grappling hook" and inserted a rod into the end of the finger to keep it im-mobile while hearling.  The rod was removed after 5 weeks post op and the finger is so stiff that I cannot move it.  The surgeon said the tendon attachment was healed and I should begin working with my finger to get it to loosen up.  I am doing this daily. I have two concerns - the "hump" has returned to the joint - and the stiffness of the finger.  Do you think the hump is scar tissue forming?  If so, what should I do?  How much can I force my finger to bend without causing damage to the repaired tendon?  Any therapy suggestions?