Orthopedics Community
Flat feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Flat feet

Hello, Is there anything I can do for "flat feet".
My podiatrist  recently x-rayed my foot and ankle, came back into the room and kinda laughed and said" You have a flat foot". She never recommended or even said if this could even be cured or what , if any, choices I have on this matter.  I have osteoarthritis in that knee(same side).  Could this have affected my condition? I have extreme 'rollover" of the ankle bone.  It is very noticeable and all my shoes give me fits with that one foot.  She did say that could be fixed but I'd have to be off that foot for eight weeks.  I am a Medicare patient and I feel that I was just hurried through. Just recently became Medicare patient. In the past, on regular insurance, I would have been encouraged to have  ankle bone fixed.  Same thing with the other foot, broke one toe(one next to big toe), and dislocated the one next to it.    All that was done was x-rays and wear the black shoe (not the boot).  That did nothing for my broken toe, of which I am not even aware of how it got broken, since I have neuropathy of the feet caused by severe spinal stenosis. Yes, I am a mess!  Now getting back to the broken toe- It did not straighten up, it is now humped up like a hammer toe, which it was not before being broken.  After wearing the black shoe, this did not work . X-rays were done over  and I asked her "what can be done about this toe, and she just replied "well you'll have to break it again! She never even encouraged surgery or mentioned it at all.  Now I can't get a shoe over that toe hardly without discomfort.   Any recommendations or suggestions, especially want to know about flat feet.  Thank you kindly.
Hi there!

Though individual injuries and deformities can be atleast partially fixed, it is not possible to fix a flat foot since this involves multiple bones and joints of the foot. Flat foot is a normal variation in the population, though at times it could lead to orthopedic issues in severe cases where the specific issues would need to be treated.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!