Foot - Trapped tendons - Options
In 1985, I suffered a compound fracture to my tibia and fibia about 4-5 inches above left ankle.  The surgeon at the time who set the leg inserted pins and I had a terrible time healing.  On top of his improperly setting the leg, I got a staph infection.

The result of this was that all of my foot tendons (especially the big toe) were entrapped in scar tissue or they adhered to the bone?  So they all resemble hammer toes I guess you would say. I am not sure specifically because I have never had an evaluation by a proper orthopedist. Eventually, after several years I sort of adapted to it.

I was then and still am today very athletic.  As an adult (I am 43 yrs old now) I have done most normal activities that would involve the foot like playing baseball, basketball, running (I even did ultramarthons for a while 10 yrs ago) and rock climbing. But even through the ability to adapt and still function satisfactorily it has caused me alot of problems from lots of pain, bone bruises, blisters, and a big toenail riddled today with 28 years of fungus buildup, the list goes on.

Do I have any options to fix this after all these years that would not require months of recovery? Is it worth it? I guess I am looking for an idea of options before considering a proper consultation with an orthopedist where I live.

Hi there!

Well, it is very difficult to comment specifically on the situation without the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation. If there is significant morbidity, it might be worthwhile considering a professional evaluation by an orthopedician for suggestion of an appropriate management plan. Though a review surgery may not be simple years after an initial injury, it might still be a possible option in a few cases, to improve functional mobility.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!