Orthopedics Community
Foot still swelling after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Foot still swelling after surgery

February 15th 2011 I had foot surgery on my right foot. The surgery was to repair a bunion on the outside of my big toe in the usual spot. When the surgeon X-rayed my foot it became immediately evident this would be no simple surgery like the Doc originally thought. All my metatarsal bones looked like some type of prehistoric claw! They all had a bend to the left following the same line as the protrusion of the bunion. The surgery involved breaking all the metatarsals and cutting wedges out of the bones so my foot could be aligned straight. The surgery also included removal of the bunion.

Recovery seemed to go as planned with about 3 weeks spent mostly sitting with foot elevated with ice applied for 30 minutes of every awake hour. By June I was walking with a walking cast and crutches and by the end of July walking in a normal shoe with no problems. Did lots of PT obvioulsy for months and I'm am thrilled with the results. I have full range of motion and normal looking foot for the first time in my life (except for some hefty scars). The problem is that my foot is still swelling significantly if I spend a long day on my feet...10-12 hours or more. Only the one that I had surgery on. I'm just wondering if this is normal and if so how long will this go on. I am a 47 yr old male. I like to think I'm in pretty good shape...6'1" and 185 lbs. Normal BP and normal blood sugar and I don't own a salt shaker. I don't drink to excess, maybe a few beers or mixed drinks a week. I really want to get back to life, riding my bike, jogging etc but can not yet because of the swelling. I no longer live in the same state as where I had my surgery so I seeing the same Doc really is not an option. I am uninsured so I don't really want to waste money going to see a new Doc if this is normal.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mark
Hi there!

Though this is not particularly normal, swelling on standing for long hours for continued exertion, may be seen post a surgical repair. This could occur due to continues low grade inflammation and could last a few months. It is best advised to avoid excessive stress on the foot and try keeping it elevated. Ice-packs and NSAIDS may also be helpful for symptomatic improvement.
Hope this helps.

Take care!