Orthopedics Community
Foot swelling 3 days after twisting ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My 13 year old daughter twisted her foot jumping on a trampoline 3 days ago.  We went to the ER and the took Xrays of her ankle (which was visibly swollen) and said it was just a sprain, put her in an air cast and told her to use braces for the next week then follow up with her pediatrician.

Last night her foot got very, very swollen (which it wasn't the first two days).  We thought maybe she put her brace on too tight, loosened it up, gave her more Motrin and had her keep it elevated.  It is still very puffy and swollen, yet the swelling in her ankle seems to be going down.

Could she have actually fractured her foot?  Do they get a good peek at the whole foot when they do an ankle series?  Or is this just normal?  She was unable to put any weight on it at first, but today is able to a little...not sure if that matters at all.

Thanks so much!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The reasons may be due to tight cast or due to physical movements. Tell her to rest and also elevate her feet for couple of days while she is sitting. Give her pain killers.

Go for another X-ray if the swelling continues beyond a week and get the X-rays commented by a radiologist for a proper diagnosis.

Take care!
Hi penquinz, go to a Poditrist (foot doctor)  don't waste your time with a pediatrician there not foot doctors. i've had 6 surgeries on my left foot and 1 on my right foot. i go to a foot doctor and not my primary care doctor. your daughter may need an MRI. MRI's are used to find soft tissue damage.  good luck  Phill