Orthopedics Community
Forearm Break - Long Term Effects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Forearm Break - Long Term Effects?

Two years ago I broke my left forearm down the middle playing football.  Both bones broke and they needed to put 2 steel plates in and I've got these two scars running down my arm now.  

I haven't done much since then but more recently I've started to get back into football shape and am starting to think about playing again.  Before I ask my question, I just want to say that I'm not worried about pain, setting of airport scanner alarms, and other small things like that.  Anyways, my question is this:  Should I be worried about further, major damage to my forearm?  There are certain places along the scar that send a strange sensation to the bottom of my hand near the thumb when I press on it and if I hit something with my previously broken arm, it hurts considerably more than the other.

Any ideas?
Do you still have the plates in?  If so, talk to your surgeon about having them removed.  I had a plate on my clavical that was very uncomfortable.  As soon as it was removed it felt great.  Currently I have a plate in my forearm that the doc says can come out after a year because in most people it causes discomfort and is subject to being banged against things.  Check with your doc and good luck!
i Have a pin and 2 rods in ym arm after two break within 6 months of each other about 8 years ago, my only complaint is that i do not have a full range of motion in my left arm, not sure cuz the multiple breaks are the rod. Only problem i had was getting hit where the rod sticks out of the bine since i can feel it all the way up the bone. No real problems some annoyences
Will you ever get full rotation back? I broke my radius and Ulna when I was 12 and have lost rotation, and desperately hoping one day the doctors will find a way to fix me.