Orthopedics Community
Fractured Cuboid Bone/ Left Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured Cuboid Bone/ Left Foot

After reading many of the blogs on this type of fracture, it appears that everyone is different.  My accident was a fall and a break to my Left Cuboid.  I was in emergency with-in 30 mins and diagnosed quickly.  After 5 days on crutches NWB I met with an Orthopedic Sergon that agreed with the original diagnosis and put me in a Walking cast but could not put any weight on it for 6 wks.. I began putting weight on it 15 lbs every few days and have about 90% of my weight on it, still with crutches.  I am now 8 wks out.....I have tried to walk w/o them but can't still too much pain.  I go back to the Dr next Tuesday with hopes of being off the crutches, but I don't think so.  I am worried that I have more going on than just the Cuboid around the ankle.  I have only had X-rays no MRI was done.  Could weight and age play a big factor in this?  I am 5'6 and 175lb and in mid 40's.

This was the result of a stupid freek accident and I can't stand it much longer.!!! I feel so frustrated...
Anyone with any advise? Or anyone completly healed from one of these strange fractures?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Yes the healing of talus bones is difficult with age due to the location, weight bearing and poor circulation in your feet.

I would suggest you to go for X-rays if it is bony injury and if you suspect a soft tissue injury in a tendon or a ligament then go for an MRI.

Follow up with a podiatrist.

Take care!