Orthopedics Community
Fractured Cuboid Bone in Left Foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured Cuboid Bone in Left Foot

Right before the memorial day holiday I got up from the desk in our home office and noticed my left foot was really hurting me. I was limping around as I got the kids to bed and thought perhaps when I was sitting at the desk that maybe I overstretched the foot and it needed to just calm down. By 4AM the next morning I made the decision to go to the ER as it was hurting that bad.

Because I had not recalled falling or tripping, no xray was done and I was told I had plantar fascitis (sp?). They allowed me to leave with crutches and pain meds.

I did a follow up with my primary the next morning - he sent me for an xray to be sure nothing was broken. The report he got back from the xray showed nothing, or so it said.

I stayed home from work for 2 days thinking that between those 2 days and the long holiday weekend, I would be much better the following week. However, the pain continued and I noticed after work the next Tuesday my foot was very swollen.

Our onsite nurse at work suggested asking my primary for an MRI to ensure there was no break in the foot or ankle. I called and scheduled the MRI for 6/4 - almost 2 weeks since the initial symptoms had started.

Meantime, I wore a walking shoe we had left over from other toe injuries that the hospital had given us mainly because my foot hurt more when it was in a sneaker and the walking shoe just had soft velcro closures.

I got the MRI done and went to work. The primary called me around lunchtime that day and said the MRI showed a cuboid bone fracture in the left foot and explained that this bone was right where I was indicating alot of pain.

He also wondered how I broke that particular bone and suggested that it could have been a stress fracture where you do an activity every day and at some point the bone cannot handle the activity and breaks. Also, I had given birth to my 2nd child a few months prior and was very anemic the entire pregnancy - they thought this could have been a contributor as well to the bone breaking.

He told me to see an ortho Dr. that day as I needed the foot stabilized in a cast or cam walker.

My regular orth Dr. was in the process of relocating his offices to a new space (he had done 2 knee surgeries on me) so I was forced to call any ortho Dr. in the area. The only Dr. who could see me that day was a podiatrist who worked within a large group of ortho Dr's in the area - my primary assured me that a podiatrist was just as good to address the break so I made the appt.

I found out once I was there that the break was actually seen on the xray from 2 weeks prior - apparently whoever read the xray and did the report overlooked it so in essence, I had been walking around with a broken foot for 2 weeks. The MRI simply confirmed everything.

I was put in a cam walker and told it was 6 weeks minimum to recover. I was instructed to only take it off to bathe and the rest of the time I had to wear it.

As much as I was relieved to find an answer to the issue with the foot, I knew this was going to be hard as I just had my 2nd child the end of 2006 and my husband works 2 jobs. They did not instruct me to stay out of work - they simply said rest it as much as possible.

I elected to stay out of work for 2 days and then return after that in an effort to get the swelling down.

I am currently in week 3-4 and the foot started really hurting me last week and continues to hurt just as much as it did when this first happened. In addition, my 2nd toe is numb and it is not from over tightening the cam walker - I have been very diligent in ensuring the boot is not on too tight.

I did notice with the 2nd toe that when I press on the top of the toe in the corner by the nail, I get alot of pain and wondered if maybe it was an ingrown nail - never had one so I am unsure how it would feel and can an ingrown nail cause numbness?

Needless to say I caved as the pain became more then just a distraction and I first called my ortho and found he was out on vacation this week for the 4th of July holiday. So I called the podiatrist office and bumped up my 5 week follow up appt. to this week (Thurs) as I felt that having pain at this point wasn't normal........my fear is that the foot is not healing for some reason and they will either continue with this boot for more time, put a permanent cast on me or say only surgery can repair.......the last 2 options I really have no inclination to do as it would severly incapacitate me in being able to care for the children.

My questions:

1. should a fractured cuboid hurt this much at the 1/2 way mark (3-4 weeks in cam walker)?

2. what am I looking at realistically if it appears that the break is still there and not healing?

I have found limited information on this particular break in this particular bone and am very frustrated in having to wear a boot almost 24/7 and now it hurts more then when I first injured it.

At home I have 4 floors in the house so everything is stairs - by the end of the day it feels like I am lugging around 50 extra pounds on the leg when I trudge up and down the steps.

Any information reg my partiicular injury and what the possible reasons for the pain to start up again would be appreciated as well as what I am realistically looking at if this week's xray shows it is not healing.

Thank you in advance.
I'm interested to know if you've gotten any response to your post??
I also have a broken cuboid bone. About 4 weeks ago, i stepped down (very hard)  on a 6" spike in an overgrown field and crushed part of my cuboid bone. I also went to a podiatrist who put me in a boot/cast and told me to stay off of it...or try to keep it elevated.
I'm trying to stay off of it......but life gets busy.
It's been a month and it's still swollen and painful.
I was told that it would take 8 weeks (approx.) to heal but it seems odd that it still hurts and swells as much as it does.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I too have a fractured cuboid bone. My dog ran into me full speed.I'm going into week 5(wearing a boot and non-weight bearing) and I too am feeling more pain than before! I've been told 6 weeks, but I'm a little worried about whether or not it's healing.

I understand that there isn't much of a blood supply in that area, so avascular necrosis is a concern. And it is always swollen by the end of the day.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm so frustrated too!!  I'm 8 weeks fractured cuboid-in a walking boot and had been on crutches but just can't handle them anymore!  I still cannot tolerate walking much distance without a lot of pain and I"m still having shooting pain through my foot.  the doctor says the fracture is minor so why does it still hurt so bad??  I've wondered if the boot is what is making it hurt so much.  Does it do more damage to walk on it if it's not completely healed?  any thoughts?
I to am in the same boat as the rest of you. I hurt my left ankle/cuboid in mid June. i was chasing my 2 1/2 year old son and dog out of the hose and down my garage stairs and missed the bottom step. My wife saw the whole thing and knew righ taway that it was ugly. I got up and walked it off for 2 weeks it was bothering me so it went to see an OS and x-rays were negative go figure! I was given a air cast and was told it was a bone bruise and moderate sprain. 2 more weeks passed and the pain turned it to a burning pain so I went back and aan MRI was performed and low and behold it showed up like a sore thumb a stress fracture to the cuboid bone on my left ankle. I was given the option of a Cam or a cast and I opted for the cast I work a job that I'm on my feet 10 hours a day and I want it to heal correctly if I had a cam I would be walking on it for sure. I was told 5 weeks in this cast. I'm 2 weeks in ans handeling life okay but my cast has loosened up on me and when the joint moves in the cast I can feel the point where the injury is. I have to call him back and maybe have it re casted. He told me once the injury was discovered that it's a 6-8 week recovery buy I'm sure I didn't help things along by walking on it for a month before it was imobilized. I do have some swelling from time to time if I don't elevate it long enough. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. any one else out there that can sare a realistic time table for this to heal?
I am in a cast for a cuboid fracture.  I fell on an oil spill June 23.  I was told a sprain and after 4 weeks of pain in a boot, they did an MRI.  Like the rest of you, sure enough there was a fracture.  Now I am in a cast.  I go back this Thurs. to have the cast taken off and hoping they don't put me another one, as I still have pain.
I'm almost 3 weeks in now and I still have pain I'm going to call my OS tomorrow to see if I can get in and have a tighter cast put on. Here is the answer I got back from an ask the expert web site.

http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=984&qID=4650692
I still have some pain after almost 6 weeks.  I go back to the Dr. on Thurs.  My foot still swells even with the cast.  Let me know what your Dr. tells you.  I checked out your link, interesting.  Thanks.
How do you ice a hard cast?
I called my Dr. today and I have to see him in the AM. I hope he says that yep it's loose and let me put on a tighter one for you. I still have 2 weeks to go and my gut feeling is that he's gonna say tack on an extra week you shouldn't still have pain.... best case cenario I don't have one I'm still stuck in this thing for 2 weeks. It is nice though that I can ice it down and after about 5 minutes it feels good. With one of those cam things I'd have to take it off to ice it. I'm not into taking any kind of pain medication so ice is my friend.
I have one of those felxable ice packs in a velcro sack and just wraped it around the outside of the cast at the ankle area assuming it's a fiberglass cast. ! It's hevan. I went in today and now I graduated to one of those cam walker things for yet another 4 weeks. This will make 7 week total not walking on it. It's really starting to be a drag. I couldn't belive how much my lower leg shrunk down in size. It looks like a tooth pick. By this time next month it ought to look like worse! I'm sure PT is in my future when it's all over and done with. Keep me posted with your recovery and what your Dr. says.
I feel your pain. I'm now on week 8(6wks non weight bearing and 4 more partial weight bearing). I see my MD on 2 wks but I'm not getting my hopes up.When I began to whine about it all, he told me if I was any heavier( I'm about 120#) I'd be looking at 6more weeks non-weight bearing.That shut  me up. the thing that worrys me is the chance for necrosis is this particular bone. I'm trying to be good, but.....well you know.
I also have a tooth pick leg. And getting a thick waist
Hang in there.
I'm 5'8" and about 135# my legs look like toothpicks all the time but my recently uncasted one looks like one from a person in from NAZI concentration camp! But seriously This cam is a drag and I've only had it 1/2 a day I should have pushed for another cast. I know it sounds nut but other than the showering I have everything else down pat. This is heavier and very cumbersome. The only reason he put me in this is he said he wants me to streach it out 1-2 times a day. I'm not sure why but This is a pain in the a$$ I went out with my wife to the store and I was whipped by the time we got out. I could have done 2 more laps while in the cast. If it were not for the fact that it loosened up so much I should have kept it the extra 2 weeks and maybe been done with it once and for all. It's still VERY tender to the touch where the fracture is but the joint feels better. Maybe having me streach it out is his way of saying this will help prevent necrosis I didn't ask him. He's Indian and doesn't have all that great of a bed side mannor. Keep me informed as to your status. Like I stated before there Isn't much on "the net" about this type of injury it's rare to say the least but there are a few peopel now with current posts that are in the same boat as us. Take care!
Is a cam the same as a boot? I  didn't get a cast, just a boot all this time. However, I'm glad to take it off to bathe and sleep. And yes, this is not a common bone to fracture.I work in a Family Practice office, and when asked which bone i broke, i get coments like"that's almost unheard of " and boy, that's rare". But since it is Family Practice, I can't pick their brains like I could if they were orhtopods.
But I'll keep trying.
This is what I have It's a high cam walker scroll down the page a bit.
http://www.mercymedicaleq.com/resource/products/productList.asp?Cat=71

Yes My best friend is my MD/DO  and he told me the same thing A DO is an ostopath I don't know if I spelled that right but they have an understanding more of the sketal and muscular system than an MD at least that's what he's told me in laymens terms. He said that's very rare!
I got my cast off today.  I still have some pain, but the Dr. said it is healing.  I still need to use the crutches for 10 days or so.  I am going for pt starting Tues. I go back to the Dr. in 4 weeks.
How long where you in the cast for? How bad does your leg look compaierd to the other one? How long have you been at this total now? As you can see in the threads I'm in a cam walker now and to tell you the truth I'm in more pain now than I was when I first hurt my self. I'm almost 2 months in. I can't belive that a stress fracture or bone bruise could hurt more 2 months later than it did at first. I'm seriously thinking about seeing a new Dr. about it. Maybe an "American" Dr. . I'm rellay getting discouraged I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium with this walker where I don't have much movemnet in the boot but yet not so must pressure from the straps where it's puching on the area where the pain is. I'm still having swelling as well . To tell you the truth this thing hurts more that the air cast he had me in to start off the whole ordeal. The cast I was In was the most comfortable of the three if you can belive that whenit got to the point where it was loose it wasn't much fun though.
I had my fall on June 23.  So I am in over 6 weeks.  I wore the boot for 4 weeks and the cast for 2.  My calf does look alot smaller than the other one.  Is your Dr. doing xrays to see if the bone is healing or there is anymore damage?  My Dr. did an xray today.  I asked why an xray, when it did not show the fracture in the first place.  He stated that he could see if there is anymore damage or if the bone is healing by a white line on the xray.  I would check out an American Dr.
Yes he did x-rays to start and it showed nothing. MRI showed the problem so he said. did a second X-ray the other day after he cut off the cast I was asking my self the same thing If if didn't show up at first why look again other than a reason to charge the insurance comapny?? I don't know... I didn't ask him. He wasn't to gentle during the exam or when he cut off the cast either he was throwing it around like a rag doll. He did apologize when I was grimicing in pain! How long are you in PT for? Why did you go from the boot to the cast? I went from Air cast to cast to camwalker. The cast and walker are both non weight on the leg. I have a job where I'm on my feet 10 hours a day so I'm off work now and I don't want to be screwing around with this for months to come!
Did he think the bone was healing from the xray?  I am in PT for 4 weeks, 3 times a week.  He said that after a week or 2, I can do the exercises at home instead of going.  3 times a week, who the heck can affor that?  They had me in the boot, because they thought I had a sprain.  When they finally did an MRI 4 weeks into, they saw the fracture.  He then put me in the cast since I still had alot of pain.
He didn't say he just said he though that the healing has far enough along that a cam walker was in order. He told me to streach it out a few times a day and it really hurts when I do It. I'm not sure if it's from it meing imobile or from the injury. But the pain is the same that is felt at first.
Ok, now I"m 11 weeks fractured cuboid-my doctor finally put on a cast instead of the cam walker and it feels better except the swelling.  I have been no weight bearing since they confirmed the break with an MRI.  the real problem is that my doctor treats me as though it's all my fault that it's not healing.  Seeing others that are having the same healing issues helps.  Has anyone else had these issues with their doctor??  And any suggestions on how to deal with that-other than changing doctors...And yep, got the toothpick leg too:)  
Well I'm 5 weeks in since the problem was detected on an MRI I went for a second opinion to a doctor in the same group. He is the foot and ankle "specialist" he looked at the report and at the MRI films and confimed what the first Dr. said except he noticed that the Talis bone was "bruised" as well. so I actually have 2 bones that are bruised. I expressed my discomfort with the cam and that it was twisting my ankle all over the place and he told me that a cam was the appropriate treatment for this type of injury but that a cam doesn't fit everyone properly. He told me I could actually walk out of the office with nothing on my leg but don't walk,bump,twist or jolt the leg. Like that will happen. He offered to re cast the leg if it was more comfortable. I opted for that option As crazy as it sounds It fits my lifestyle better I have a 2 year old at home and it's a track meet all day long so the leg gets beat up a bit. So here I am I'm casted for another 4 weeks that will make 7 weeks in a cast total. He did tell me that actually pegging a time frame is hard because those bones heal slowly due to lack of blood floow in that part of the ankle. he said it would be fair to say 12 weeks out before it actually fells better. I'm 8 weeks since the fall but only 5 weeks imobilized. good luck to you and hope that sheds some light on the injury.
I am switching Drs. too.  I am upset it took my Dr. 4 weeks to order the mri.  Then casted me for 2.  My foot is so tender and it still hurts.  He siad that when he did the last xray that it was healing.  My fall was June 23
My ankle is still ver ytender as well. My fall was 6-15. This cast I have now was extra padded around the place where it hurt the most. and even with the extra padding when it swells up it still presses on that spot and it's quite uncomfortable. Like I stated in my last post the dr. said it could still be a whil before it starts to feel better. He told me that if I had indded broken both of them that surgery would be in order due to the slow healing of that part of the foot and ankle. Feel better! keep me posted.

I'm now in wk 10 in cam walker, partial weight bearing (I'm using one crutch).I have a MD appointment next week. I now have terrible elbow pain (probably from the over use from crutch walking)! But my foot is starting to feel better.I wonder how much physical therapy there will be. And like all of you, I'm sick of the whole thing.
I'm actually 9 weeks in right now but only 5 weeks into being treated properly. I lost a month with a mised diag and me waiting for 2 weeks before being looked at in the first place. I'm actually felling better altough today I woke up and my ankle was aching. I havn't had that in a while. to tell you the truth my problem is actually with bones in my foot but my ankle is the place that's caused the most pain. I still have a lot of swelling. I wake up and the cast is loose but by the time i goto bed my toes are all swelled up. I've beenwoundring about PT also.
I have started with electric stim and ice 3x a week.  I am doing exerscises at home.  My Dr. says we will start PT once more of the pain has descressed.
kmcosgrove114 here............

My injury was 5/23 (I think)...........I finally got in to see my ortho who put a regular cast on for 4 weeks............1 week into that cast my outer ankle joint was rubbing bad against the cast so they "windowed" it and I could remove that piece at night which helped........

But, while the "window" was off and I could move the ankle a little I noticed lots of pain. The cast came off 8/10 and it hurt WAY more then before and I told him this in the exam room. They re-xrayed and it seemed ok. He thought that 2 more weeks in the cam walker was in order and possibly a repeat MRI after.........

After 4-5 days (was put back in the cam walker and told I needed a few weeks for things to calm down), I couldn't take the sharp pains - was getting them near the fracture site and now in the ankle which was the same one I sprained as a child.

I called and said I want another MRI now and not 2 weeks from now - the 2nd MRI showed swelling, signs of the fracture and they also looked in the ankle which showed swelling and now a growth that they termed "exostosis" which is defined as a benign tumor made of bone and cartilage...........it is on the bottom of my fibula............

The ortho called after the MRI and said things appear like they are healing and no obvious issues and that we would discuss on 8/29 when I return.

I can tell you the pain in my ankle and the frature site is during rotation of the foot / ankle - not so much weight bearing unless I am doing steps and that flexing motion happens.........also, the ankel pops in every direction all the time now and I get a feeling of instability alot..........I don't trust the ankle at all and I have a 5 yo and a 9 month old baby at home along with working FT...........

First, why is no one addressing the growth? It is right at a spot that has sharp pain when I move the foot and common sense says it is rubbing against things in the ankle - also, if it is a growth that is not normal (his words) then remove it, it doesn't belong there...........

Second, when I went to him for my knee surgeries 3 years ago, the xray and MRI only showed swelling - he had that same "on the fence" attitude, well, it may need time to calm down, etc. It wasn't until I said I want you to go in and look, something is not right, that he found that a loose body had been wedged in my inner knee for years and wore a crevass into my femur which was catching on the knee causing the pain and yes, swelling..........he drilled holes into the crevass, causing the bone to bleed which filled in the gap.............bottom line: MRI and xray never showed ANY of that - only surgery did..........and I was ok if they found nothing but needed to know for sure.......would I be off base asking him to go in and look at the foot and the ankle?

I hate to "push" Dr's (and surgery) as I think he should be guiding me to an extent but I have sharp pains in the foot and ankle and I think that sprain I had years ago had some underlying issue all along that is just coming out now when the cuboid fracture happened - when he first removed the cast, my ankle was normal looking (1st time in years it looked normal) and within a day was swollen again (now is swollen 24/7) and now the last 2 toes are numb..........

Thoughts?
first off let me say I don't think Dr.s have a clue at times.... I bet you most of them have never broken a bone in their lives. enough on that. I think I would get a second opinion. I did but from the same office I saw a second OS about my problem. As I stated in a pervious post I though this was taking a long time to heal so I sought out a second opinion. one of my neices works in this office as a PA but she works with a hand/arm guy. she took my records to the foot/ankle specialist and had him look at the report and the films. the first guy never mentioned the fact that I had 2 bones messed up in my foot. The Talis and Cuboid. from what the foot guy said that it looked like those two bones collided in my fall and "bruised" both of them. She and her OS showed me the MRI that showed it best that the one bone had chaged color meaning trauma/fracture about 50% of it and the other bone the talis had about 25% change in it. he said that these bones in the foot take a real long time to heal and that telling me 6 weeks was more like 10-12 before you feel better. he said he has only seen acouple of other "bone bruises" in his years of pratice and one was from a professinal hockey player here in town was the last one he saw. he said a "bruise" is basically a fracture but you didn't do a god enough job to break it all the way through. I was more worried that they missed some kind of tissue damage like a ligamint or tendon I spelled them wrong... he re assured me that nothing was missed on the films and that was a total of 4 people looked at the films and the reports that the bone injury was the only issue at hand. he was reluctant to put me back into a cast but the cam wasn't working for me I was casted 3 weeks and in a cam for 8 days before my neice re casted me.I am in this untill the week aftelabor day. I have a 3 year old and my life style is much like yours on the go all the time. The cam wasn't getting it done. It was making me go backwards in the healing process. It was twisting the hell out of may ankle.It felt like I was respraining my ankle each and every time it twisted my foot around. I to have had ankle sparians before. None major but minor to both ankles as a kid. They didn't need medical attention is what I mean by not bad. But I know what one feels like when it happens.  So in closing if you get a second opinion and that you only have a bone issue and nothing else going on it would suggest you push to be put back into a cast it made my life easier as crazy as that sounds. in the cam I was also experiencing numbness in the bottom of my foot and in the last 2 toes on my foot. In the cast all is well except for the swelling which is still extensive at times.  My injury ws on 6-15-07.
well I'm 6 weeks casted tomorrow and I can say right now that the point on my foot where the most pain was has let up. I still have a bit of pain in the ankle area though. This cast I'm in right now is really quite comfortable. She put on extra padding around the "hot spot" and it has been pretty good up till now. I still have 2 weeks and a day to go. Next weekI'm going to give walking on it a try. I purchased a shoe that is meant for aiding in walking in a short cast. It's called the gaitkeeper. Will see how that goes. The Dr. said if it doen't hurt walk on it if it does hold off untill I seen him again. I think at this point the cast was a good call all but the hot weather we have had it's been quite miserable for that reason alone. It's been 85-90 here pretty much the whole summer not to many cool days and that is where the cam would have been nice but my ankle wasn't having any of that. so to sum up at this point in the game I'm doing better hope the rest of your are as well. :)
Well I got rid of my boot and crutch yesterday!!! I feel like a free woman. Starting PT today. It hurts a little but the bone is healed. Good luck to all of you. Hnag in there.
I've been following this thread for the last month or so. I stepped into a hole in my backyard and was found to have a Cuboid fracture of my left foot. An MRI showed excessive amount of fluid around the tendons in my foot that overlap the cuboid bone. I was unable to bear any weight for a week. I wore a walking boot for 2 months and then a permanent cast for 8 weeks. After it's removal I attended 2 weeks worth of PT. My range of motion got better but was still quite limited.
It has been six months since my injury and I still have gross swelling at the end of the day and have to wear my boot for pain relief. I don't go back to the doctor until October 1st.
Has anyone experienced this and has surgery been an option for you? My doctor said come October he will get a second opinion and discuss surgical intervention.
Wow yuor had dragged on and on. As far as what I've read an seen on the web no one has had surgery for a fracture. maybe you have some kind soft tissue damage that wasn't picked up in the MRI. either the person reading the films and generated the report for the DR. or the DR. may have over looked it?? In the back of my mind I still think I have some kind of underlining issue that hasn't been picked up on yet. Yesterday my ankle was quite sore for no apperant reason. I havn't done anything out of the ordinary than I have the past few weeks. The swelling is still a problem for me. I'm 9 or 10 weeks out from the original injury...
Well I have an avulsion fracture of the cuboid bone after stepping off a concrete walkway.  This happened Saturday.  Its now Monday and I have a scrip for crutches, walking boot, and non weightbearing for two weeks.  Its a holiday so I can't get anything till tomorrow morning.  Im supposed to meet with my primary Dr. who may or may not refer to an ortho.  I have been reading your posts and this doesn't sound good.  I had wondered if this kind of fracture would need surgery or just RICE therapy.  Sounds like im looking at a lengthy recovery period. And i didn't get a scrip for any pain meds...Ibuprofen 3 times a day....ummm...NOT HELPING.
Welcome to the club.  It's a exclusive one that no one wants to join. Neproxin is what I was given and it was more for the swelling than the pain. I'm un aware of that type of injury and I've been looking around the net for weeks since I hurt my self. Good luck. I never saw my primary my insurance I don't need a referal so it makes it nice and you don't get jerked around. Reading all of these peoples problems the boot doesn't seem to be the way to go it wasn't with me either. Good luck and please keep us posted.
they are calling it a nutcracker fracture.  the tendon pulled a portion of the bone away from the cuboid bone instead of the tendon simply pulling away alone.  hopefully i'll get some answers tomorrow from either primary or specialist.
I saw your post on Yahoo "ask" How did you make out? Are you in a cast or is it a case where your in line for surgery? Hope it's the less of 2 evils for you.
Well, after almost 11 weeks of fractured cuboid-ortho finally put me in a cast and 2 weeks later it was feeling so much better..long story short, he decided to cast me for 2 more weeks to make sure it was healed...the next week I was in the most excruciating pain so I changed Drs and went to a foot and ankle specialist.  He said...yes, my bone was still fractured but that I was also developing complex regional pain syndrome due to being imobolized for so long and was heading down a path of chronic problems.  He took me out of the cast and told me to start walking on it and moving it otherwise I would have permanant damage.  He said I was also losing bone mass because of non-weight bearing for so long... I start PT next week...I'm walking now-with a lot of pain yes, but everything he said made sense.  If you're months into the fracture the complex regional pain syndrome is something you might want to look up-I had every symptom...I think it came from the injury not being treated appropriately from the beginning like many of the rest of you...good luck everyone!!
Hey I'm walking, Sort of.... Today I decided to try to take a few steps on my broken ankle/foot It wasn't all that bad I can tolerate the pain It's not as intense as it was beofre it was casted up and not as bad as it was in the cam. Overall I'm pretty happy thus far. I still do have some pain where the bone injury is but I guess it's par for the course at this point in the game. I have 1 week untill I have to go back to see the Dr. he advised me to try to start putting pressure on it about a week out so Will see what happens. I'm mor concerned abou swelling at this point in the game than the pain. That Syndrome I looked up via google search and it doesn't sound like any fun at all. Hope you are feeling better and keep all of us posted on the PT I'm curious how long it's gonna take you to get back into shape after 12 weeks? I'm only 8.
I finally got in to see my primary who sent me to an ortho.  Im in a cast non weight bearing for 5weeks then he'll xray again.  Getting around slowly on the crutches though...totally uncoordinated.  
check out this link.
http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=980&qID=4623260

I guess Surgery was avoided at this point in time? Good for you! Hopefully it's better for you in the not so distant future.
I'll check out that link.  P/T was here at work for one of my students and I got her to help me with the whole crutches thing and improve my stance and gait.  Im killing my other ankle with these things!!   I'm actually quite surprised that he didn't recommend surgery. I'm not so sure the ortho had the radiology report yet...but im certain he saw the xray...so I'm holding my breath until i'm sure he got the report and xrays.
I'm free.... 8 weeks and 1 day later I'm out of the cast and back into the cam. But only during the day the Dr. said take it off and streach it out. I'm a bit alarmed at how much my leg has shrunk down. It looks like a oiece of dental floss. Seeing what it looks like I asked the Dr about PT and he said I don't need it.??? I was shocked! Has anyone here started or gone through PT?
In fact I just got back from my PT appointment, my second and my last. It's been 2 wks since I've been out of the boot(after11wks in the boot) and I am able to walk, do stairs and even a little hiking. I do some stretching exercises at home. But my point is.........it's going better than I expected.
Hope it goes well for you. too.
I started my own PT routine. My wife has one of those recumant exercise bikes i rode 2.5 miles yesterday and 4 today. half with the cam on and half with out. I found a few web sites that explain different types of streaching exercises and I have been tryin them as well. My ankle is stiff as well as my achillies. I woke up today and it felt okay not great but I'm just trying to do a bit more each day :) I'm sure it's goning to be a long battle back!
It was interesting to read your comments and the long journeys most of you are taking.  I stepped off of a curb the first weekend in June and sprained (I thought) my ankle.  I did RICE for that weekend, and it appeared a little better.  I had been receiving treatment for plantar fascitis and achilles tendonitis since early spring, so my left foot hurt anyway.  I kept up my usual routine throughout
June and most of July, tho my foot hurt like ---- by afternoon.  Am a teacher, so went back to school limping at the end of July.  Pain at the front of my foot was worsening while the plantar was improving.  Doctor did xrays in early August that were negative, follwed up with an mri a week later.  There was the fractured cuboid!  She put me in a walking boot up to my knee - great to wear in 95 degree weather, but it helped the pain.  I went back for my 4 week visit last Thursday, and she told me to start weaning myself from the boot a few hours a day and gradually increasing so that in a month I am totally out of the boot.  I was never restricted to non weight bearing, so I was interested to read your comments.  Anyhow, it still hurts but not as badly as it did.  Hang in there!
I have to say that this whole experience has really sucked for me from top to bottom. There seems to be a reoccuring trend that I see that people with foot injuries have them for #1 a long time and #2 The problem seems to be missed more times than not. I have been cast free since last Wednesday and My ankle is sore,stiff and limp as a wet noodle all at the same time. I broke down and called a Chiroprator friend of mine to have him get me into see a sports rehab PT guy. I'm going to meet with him tomorrow in the Am. Will see what he has to say. My worst fear is that he says I'm not far enough  along come back in "X" and will try then or he says that I should really go and see my Dr. again that something isn't right...My Dr. told me I don't need PT. But who knows this guy may be really good and cam make a silk purse out of a sows ear.. My home PT has helped my achillies an calf a bit but the ankle has no strength at all. Keep me posted as to your progress :)
I went for my first PT today it was more of an evaluation than anything else. He had me try a few different streaching exercises and had me try to stand on the bad leg and balance stuff like that. It's prettty sore right now and not too much swelling though. I have to go back in 2 days and he will give me an actual regimin (speeling) that I can do at home after seeing him. The guy is pretty neat and he seems like If I ask him to try to push things along he doesn't want to push me to hard. I'm in pretty good shape pre ankle/foot injury. so I should be able to get back sooner rather than later.
Almost a month in the cast....IT SUCKS!!  So I hope that when i go back in a couple of weeks that I'll get out of this thing.  Achy pain any time I try to bear weight. I hope that this thing is healing so I dont have to increase the time in the cast.  I would really like a decent night's sleep.  Anyone else go this long without any x-rays?  All I had was the initial set at the beginning of the month. I'm not scheduled for xray till second week of oct.
I did I had 2 sets of x-rays. first ones were deemed negative after 2 weeks it was getting worse then an MRI revealed problem with cuboid and talus bones then placed into a cast no weight bearing! 3 weeks later cast was soo loose went back took second set of x-rays said healing was good and given the boot and emense pain back to dr. week later back into second cast for 4 weeks no weight bearing at all. So Yes I had X-ray's twice I don't know why they took the second set whn they didn't see the problem in the first ones. other than the MRIi showed what to look for??? I'm surprised they told to to try to walk on it?? I was no walking on it for a total of 8 weeks. When I did start to walk it was like a thousand needles sticking me in the bottom of my foot and heel. Oh and YES the CAST SUCKS!!!!!!! wait to see how stiff and sore your ankle will be... Of course my ankle was hurt along with the foot. How's the walking on crutches going??
I was treated for gout for six months until an MRI very convincingly showed a fractured cuboid.  I have been in an air boot cast now for two weeks and have been told I can walk as much as I have to without overdoing it.  I am very concerned that after 6 months I will have permanent damage.  Maybe I should be in a regular cast?  How do we know if the treatment we are getting is right?
I gues you ahve to trust your doctor on that. How much more damage can you do if you have been walking on it for 6 months already. In my case I  have a neice that is a phyiscians assistant to the doctor I was seeing and I felt more comfortable with a hard cast. It sucked being in it for the summer but in the long run it has only take a few weeks to regain the mobility. I feel it had a better chance to healing that way The other doctor I was seeing in that office is a sports medicine OS and he had me in a boot for a week and he wanted me to streach the ankle out it was pure agony moving it at all I thin the movement was cauing more harm then good. It's just my take on it. I'm not a doctor or play on on TV. How long are you going to be confined to the boot? If you have reservations tell them to you doctor and he or she will listen to what you have to say if they are good at waht they do.
The crutch walking?  I am an old pro at it finally.  I use the crutches around the house and to and from the car to get to work.  No long distances. At work Im stilling bumming the wheelchair or using my office chair to get around...we are calling it the executive wheelchair...hahaha.  As for trying to walk on it...they didn't tell me to do that.  Im using it to balance sometimes or hobble to the bathroom. Im just getting sick to death of the cast and the confinement. I only have a few days left really but these seem to be the longest overall.
Yes the first cast I had the time went by relativly quickly that was 3 weeks. the second stint of 4 weeks SUCKED it was also really hot here. The last week was the worst it just got to the point where is was uncomfortable. Wait untill you see what you foot looks like!!!!! After it was all and done I went for PT and it has helped a ton. My ankle was really tight and sore/stiff it has since loosned up a bit. My concern now is that I still have some ankle pain I also damaged the Talus bone which is the ankle bone. It's a sharp pain at times and the swelling still comes and goes. I went back to work this week and it was rough. It felt good untill I got home and put my feet up at the end of the day it stiffened right up! I'm afarid that there is something else tissue related that's messed up in there I'm going to wait it out before I persue other avenues. If it's some kind of tissue damage then 8 weeks in a cast didn't fix it I would venture to say it's some kind of surgery and then another cast?????
I was so happy to find this forum!
I fractured my left cuboid on October 18. I am in an inflatable boot. (Not sure what it's really called)
Like many of you, I was misdiagnosed by two xrays. After a week, I got a CT Scan, which confirmed the fracture.
I am a PE teacher FT, and a university dance teacher PT. I also live in an upstairs apartment, so needless to say, I haven't stayed completely off of it. I hate wearing it home, and usually don't.
Any advice? Any ideas?
Those of you doing physical therapy, what exactly do you do?
Thanx so much!
Stay off it! Were you permitted to bear weight or not? Best advice is if you were told no walking on it then NO walking on it. If you are having a hard time being compliant then your only hurting your self. I told The dr. when he gave me the boot option I'd just take the damn thing off to shower and not put it back on then he said a cast it is and at a pretty wierd angle of the foot so I couldn't walk on it if I wanted to. Served me right to open my mouth. Pt was a bit painful at first but it was a good pain. I had to get my regular MD to prescribe it for me my OS said that this kind of injury didn't warant it. It helped After being in a cast for 8 weeks i needed the hlep just to streach things back out. I am still having issues with the ankle joint 5 month past injury I hurt my foot "Cuboid" and my ankle "Talus". So best advise is to stay off it as best as you can and good luck :)
I recently fractured my cuboid bone in my right ankle, about 8 weeks after I had just suffered a 2nd degree sprain in my left ankle.  Getting around has been incredibily daunting.  I am thoroughly frustrated to have an ankle injury AGAIN!!!  Anyway, one piece of advice my doctor offered is... if it hurts don't do it!!!  I think this is probably true for most injuries.  We need to give ourselves appropriate time to heal.  I have kids, pets, a job, responsiblities, etc.  It has not been easy to put everyone off so I can put my foot up.  I am fortunate that I work for a school and it happened a week before the Winter Holiday Break so I was going to be off work for 2 weeks anyway.  Fortunately, my fracture was discovered immediately.  I wasn't casted until about 2 weeks into this.  It was grotesquely swollen.  My OS orginally put me in an airboot, which I thought was an IMPRACTICAL joke.  It didn't fit right and would either make my foot numb or would be falling off.  I was in more pain wearing it that not.  I went and saw my regular doctor who casted it for what he called a "custom fit".  He mentioned that the air boots are great for some, but they are really made as a one size fits all.  I have oddly been much more comfortable in the cast and within a day or two much of the pain was gone.   It isn't great for walking, but I have resolved myself to the idea that maybe that is a blessing in disguise.  It is forcing me to stay off of it.  One tid bit that some of you may find useful, my OS and my regular doctor, both informed me that this kind of fracture takes a long time to heal.  The OS said for the bone at least 10-12 weeks.  My regular doc said to expect pain for 6-18 months.  Both have stated that PT will be necessary both for the injury itself and also because of the cast.  My regular doc also informed me that there is recent information that ibuprofen, although great for the swelling and inflamation (inflammation), can actually interfer with bone healing.  He said to lower my dosage which had been 800mg every 6-8 hours to about 200-400mg every 8 hours, or better, just skip it all together and use Tylenol.  After a few days in the cast, I didn't even need that.  I am slowly trying to begin bearing weight on it.  If it hurts I lay off.  I am gradually getting there.  I just need to be patient.  Hope some of this information helps.  
How long do you have to be in the cast for? I was in for 7 weeks. I'm 7 months into my adventure and I still have pain and minor swelling. I was waiting untill the holidays were over before I decided to persue seeing a different Dr. If I don't see any improvment in the next couple of weeks I'm gonna see what another Dr. says. What type of regular Dr do you see that he has casting supplies in his office?
Any fracture if given more rest after proper splinting with mild physical therapy would heal faster.
There are other factors also which help in faster recovery like Vitamin C and D supplementation with Calcium.
The ankle should be elevated to reduce swelling.
Early weight-bearing and range of motion are important to prevent stiffness.
Range of motion of the Metatarsal phalangeal joints and, later, of the ankle and mid foot are important to prevent contractures and to reduce scarring of soft tissues.
Hope this helps too.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
So glad to see I am not the only one, this is such a rare fracture and we have all been blessed with it.  I was at my hotel after a day at Disneyland sitting in a straight back chair doing I tunes playlists for about 45 minutes.  I stood up, my foot was asleep, I didn't know it, stood up, SNAP SNAP and down I went.  Now I have a cuboid fracture.  The doctor in Anaheim wanted to pin it right then but because I live in another state, it was Christmas eve and  I wanted to have surgery and follow up at home.  Since then I have been given nothing but the run around.  I am 6+ weeks out, have been in a cam walker for 5 weeks with as tolerated for instructions.  After 5 1/2 weeks my Doctor repeated my x-rays and it showed there has been no healing.  I am off to a foot and ankle specialist which is so difficult to find.  I ended up seeing a podiatrist who has suggested I simply have the piece of bone removed (mine is a displaced fracture...1 mm) healing time is 10 days.  It sounds so good considering I start nursing school on March 17th but the information you can find on a cuboid fracture indicates that it is crucial bone in your foot.  Both Doctors I have seen think something else is going on as I am having an increased amount of pain.  Wasn't really experiencing any until week 6... think I over did.  Also they think it is not healing because the bone in the cam walker allows for micro movements.  I simply cannot be jerked around anymore I need to be on my feet.  I have waited 1 1/2 years on a waiting list to get into a nursing program I can't delay this.  Anyone had surgery for a cuboid fracture,?  Anyone had a piece removed?  HELP running out of time and can't find any information.
as you can see from all the threads on this subject this takes a long time to heal. Fromwhat I have fround out bone in the foot has poor blood circulation thus a long time to heal much like wrist fractures. I'm confused thye just want to remove the piece that broke off the bone it this an ilusive fracture? I think I spelled that wrong. But the tissue tore off the bone? did you have an MRI or CT scan done so they can see for sure what happened or just an x-ray? If they want to treat it like removing a bone chip I could see it being a shorter recovery time. In many of the cases reported no on I think has had a displaced fracture so Surgery may bee you only hope. Most of the people that posted here we first treated with a cam and weight bearing but graduated to a hard cast and no weight bearing that seems to be the trend. I my case I went fromwalking on it for a month with no support to a air cast to a cast no weight. I don't know why if this take a long time to heal that doctor insist o having you walk on it. That's my take on it hope it helps a bit :}

Join The Club, I stepped off the last step of an outside stoop, onto a thin rubber mat on the landing, below the mat, there was a hole slightly larger than a can of soda with a fragment of broken concrete in it. That date was 10/8/02' I am stll in pain EVERY DAY ! I have read as much aboid the bones, nerves, tendons and ligaments in the foot/ankle to the extent in which I would easily say I could be a podiatric physcians assistant tommorow. My references are the Univ. of Arkansas,  ( on line ) http://****.html    Northcoast Footcare ( on line ). In all liklihood the only " remedy " would be a triple arthrodesis ( very painful procedure ) after the first arthrodesis was performed I decided that I would not be able to sustain the pain of two more post op recovery periods. I now know how Christ felt having his feet nailed to the cross. Open heart surgery was like sneezing in comparison to the nerve pain post-op. In all liklihood we have SESAMOID BONE WITHIN THE PERONEAL SHEATH along with the brevis tendon which runs down our calfs and laterally along our foot that turns under the cuboid. Physics along with the bone structure of our foot causes the nerves to be agravated with any movement of the foot, sitting as well, I KNOW ! and so do you. Fortunately I have EPILEPSY and ironically the Dilantin (phenytoin ) I take daily interferes with the nuerons in the nervous system, so after taking my seizure med is the only time I get relief for a few hours. Drs. have been prescribing anticonvulsants for pain ( off label ) for decades. Nuerontin ( gabapentin ) is their favorite today, perhaps the mnftrs. suggest it or give them an annual vacation for prescibing it as opposed to a cheaper one. Once again I had my cuboid avulsion/fracture occur 10/8/02 and there is no relief for it is also known as pos os peroneum syndrome. The only thing that enabled me to get a decent nights sleep was Lidocaine patches, which I cut in half or thirds being they are expensive, Steroids are a waste of time, been there done that. You may also get some relief from a Richie Brace, they cost apprx. $1,000. It is akin' to a cam walker that fits inside ones shoe, and straps around the ankle, however I have to add aditional tape to the strap/brace being the velcro doesn't maintain a good enough grip. If you decide to get a brace I would suggest you wear your most often worn sock in order to have the mold made accurately. Having a mold made in bare feet might be good for those when making the mold but uless you plan on wearing the brace without a sock on insist your mold be made while you are wearing a sock on regardless whether your sock gets wet. Just bring another pair with you when fitted for a brace. And when you buy shoes you will need to buy two pair, one a half size larger so the brace will fit inside with shoe on. Believe me 10/8/02'       any other way I can give you info for this dreaded " curse " let me know  ***@****
I will remember that Snap ! ( pooping sound till the day I pass on ), we have something in common I'm afraid to say, it was your peroneal tendon and brevis being either streched or broken. Elevating the foot brings relief as we both know, along with keeping it in a "drop foot" position as well, or when resting in bed lying your foot on the side of your plantar fascia ( instep side ) with the toes ( metatarsels ) pointing towards the floor. Sitting down there is pain towrads the rear of the heel ( calcaneous ) along with some behind and towards the front of the in step ( plantar fascia ) behind the big toe ( first metatarsel ). When showering take short incremental steps when turning around to rinse or lather, I had fallen through my shower curtain and fortunately I missed having the towel bar stem from being inbedded into my skull by an inch. Or better yet until injury is fully healed go to a surgical supply store and purchace a shower stool/chair, in the event it may be too wide to fit in your tub place it lengthwise along with a non-skid made for tub. And be extra careful getting in and out, lean on inner walls or outside if necessary.
after 5.46 years....1965 days and fracturing the cuboid 10/8/02'  here it is today the constant pain has stopped by 95%. Thru the usage of a HEEL LIFT beneath the Richie Brace that I wear. As a result of lowered heel after the accident it had been pulling on the peroneus/brevis tendons aggravating the sural nerve. I came upon this by luck. I had a 3/4 inch roll of masking tape on the floor and unknowingly rested my heel upon it, which in turn lifted my heel yesterday. And after seeing my podiatrist today told him it relieved the nerve pain he hand given me a heel lift and WA-LA ! no more pain after 5.46 years !        try it you have nothing to lose but PAIN !
I fell down a flight of stairs about 5 weeks ago. Initially I was told I had a had ligament damage so they gave me crutches at the hospital and told me to put as much weight on it as I could bear.

2 weeks later I was still in immense pain putting weight on my foot, so I went back to the doctors and they sent me for an MRI scan. I got the results 1 week later and the specialist said I have an "injury to the lateral aspect of the mid foot with a non displaced fracture of the anterior process of the calecneum as well as trabecular micro fracture of the cuboid and marrow contusion within the head and the neck of the talus"

They have since put me in a non weight bearing cast and told me to avoid all weight for the next 4 weeks. They are reviewing at that stage whether to put me in another cast or a cam walker

My doctor said that it is a very nasty injury. The calcaneal fracture is called a Rowe 1c fracture. It ought to heal uneventfully.

The cuboid fracture is a bit more unpredictable. The cuboid is one of those little talked about bones in the foot. It's a humble little bone that bears a lot of load with each step that we take. But when broken, it significantly alters weight bearing. As long as there's not displacement of the bone or break into the joints surrounding the cuboid, I ought to do OK over time. Over time? Might be a matter of 4-6 months before I'm back to full activities.

Apparently the talus is also a bad bone to break. But again, as I have no displacement of the bone, I ought to fare well over time.

I am definately worried that I have made this worse by putting weight on it for the first 3 weeks?

I'll keep you posted.

Faye
I have had pain and burning in the top and side of my right foot for 8 months now along with sharp pain when rotating it.  Foot/Ankle feels very weak, but not much swelling or bruising. Extreme pain at the end of the day - feels better if I elevalate it. Some days its hard to stand on, but other days it only aches, I think I have adapted to the pain. Have had several x-rays and none of them showed a thing. Went to PT when injury first happened as the Ortho thought it was a sprain.  I now have seen my family doctor who ordered an MRI.  Guess What!  It showed a fracture that has healed, torn ligament and fracture of the cuboid bone along with a mass around the cuboid bone.  My doctor is sending me for a bone scan to check for the mass and or fracture.  Has anyone else had a scan done after an MRI?  I'm not sure what he is actually looking for.  He has said I have two options, surgery or casting for about 3 months.  I think I was in shock to learn the treatment and didn't ask the doctor many questions.  I think the doctor is more concerened of the torn ligament than the cuboid bone.  Can anyone out there give me some advice.  I have tried to find the symptoms of this fracture, but none are available.  Not many people know they have a bone called the cuboid.  HELP!!!!
If you look up at the top of this thread there seems to be a common thing this bone is misdiagnosed time and time again.. I went for a month before it was detected on an MRI. I was in 2 casts for a total of almost 8 weeks. I think they missed something on the MRI as well I am almost a year out from my fall and I still have moments where if it twist it just right I can feel the same spot the injury was/is at.. I also had an issue with the Talus bone as well.. I can tell you that my OS I saw said it's a nasty bone to heal and if it's broken in need surgery for sure. A fracture can take months to heal due to low blood flow to those bones much like those in your wrist. What is casting going to do for torn ligaments? I'm about 95% back to where I was pre fall.. Try this site. www.mybrokenleg.com it's for leg injuries but you will find more info on other things there as well. good luck :)
Scary stuff!  I "rolled" my right foot on April 19th while stepping down out of the house into the garage.  I heard the "crack, crack, crack" and went down to the cement.  I couldn't put any weight at all on that foot and my husband had to carry me back into the house.  X-rays about 2 hours later supposedly showed nothing.  So diagnosis was severe ligament strain, little black velcro shoe "for support" and crutches until I could stand weight on the foot.  Two weeks later, pain still severe so MRI was ordered.  I was told today there is a fracture of the cuboid in my right foot.  Appointment has been made for day after tomorrow with podiatrist.  Reading all your testimonies tells me that I may have a long road ahead of me.  Thanks for sharing.  Any advice?  
Sorry to hear about your injury but your in very select company. Fromwhat you have read on here is seems to have the same theme the fracture was missed at the first look. It seems like everyone has either an MRI or bone scan to find the problem.. It also seems that anyone here that was put into a cam/boot has all kinds of issues if the fracture doesn't require surgery that it also seems that anyone that is placed into a hard cast does better with both comfort and healing. keep us updated as to your course of treatment.
Stepped out of walk in cooler April 15 and onto the metal knob that had fallen off the door. Went to emergency room, they xrayed and said I have FX Cuboid-Closed and contusion of ankle. They showed me the xrays, I chipped the bone loose where it attaches to a ligament instead of ripping the ligament, I guess. They put me in a hard splint till I could get into an orthopedic Dr. a week later.  No weight bearing of any kind until I saw Dr. (Crutches are a pain). He put me in a boot from toes to knee, said get off crutches and weight bear as much as comfortable and see him in 1 mo.  I am now 3 wks into boot and still have some pain and swelling (like everyone else that posted).  I am a teacher aide and worker comp  said try go back to work.  Went 1/2 day and foot and ankle really hurts more and, of course is swelling.  I am just worried that walking and standing at least 6 1/2 hrs a day will be causing me more problems down the road.  I am 60 yrs old and already have osteopenia.  I really don't want problems for the rest of my years because of workers comp and employer.  Any suggestions?  
I too am a 60 yr old teacher's aide with osteopenia and a cuboid bone fracture and chipped bone and sprained or strained ligament. When I read your posting it seemed so much like me. I missed the bottom step on the way to the basement, fell and my foot rolled under. I went to the ER that evening and to my dr the next day who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. At the ER they put me in a splint and ace bandages and said use crutches with no weight bearing. The next day the OS took that off and put me in a Bledsoe boot with crutches and no weight bearing. I have some bruising and swelling and only minor pain as long as the foot is imobilized. My arms are sore from using the crutches though.
What was the prognosis for the time in the boot and when did they think you could go back to work? When do you go back to the dr.?  Did they say how long before you start putting any weight on your foot? They told me I could go back to work with whatever weight bearing tolerance I had,yeah right, as you know,our job doesn't allow you to sit or lay with your foot propped up.  After a full day today, my foot and ankle are really sore, don't know whether I am overdoing or if this is normal, hate to bother the dr. with a phone call, but might have to. As I said, I really don't want to be sorry down the road because of what I do now.  
I go back to dr May 20 so no weight bearing at least until then. I went back to work today just for the am. The teacher I work with took me to work and brought me home at lunch time. They put me in a wheelchair for work since I'm not the greatest on crutches. My foot was propped up all am and when I got home I propped it up again for the pm and even took a nap. I'm going in just for am until after I see the dr. next week. Is there a possibility you could just do mornings and rest your foot when you get home?
I go back to the dr. on the 21st.  I talked to dr.'s nurse this afternoon, according to her it was not a surprise my foot hurt, she said elevate as much as possible, tried to explain again, not possible during work, but did all evening.  She said dr. was not concerned about it, just try to elevate and stay off of it when I can.  My school hasn't offered much to accomodate me, my teacher is trying by letting me sit more and work with students one on one and I do appreciate that.  I am going to try tomorrow again, if still hard to do I am going to talk to principal about 1/2 days.  Good luck tomorrow.
I guess you'll just have to elevate it when you can. Maybe you can prop it up on a small chair while you're working with students. I was at work again this am on the wc with my foot up. I get lots of "help" from my students. Everyone has been so helpful thus far. I hope you can get half days if that works for you. I'm really ready to get home and relax after a busy am at school, even with having my foot up while I'm there. Good luck to you. I hope the pain and swelling lessens for you.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences in this discussion group.  I broke the cuboid bone in my right foot on April 8 about 6 weeks ago.  The break was finally identified this past Monday.  Basically, spent 5+weeks walking on the broken bone.  Thankfully, I did not have the intense pain many of you had.  It hurt but I could walk on it.  Seeing the treatment patterns develop as I read the previous 75 comments has been most helpful.  The podiatrist put me in a cam walker for the next 4 weeks.  She first said she would cast my foot and agreed to a cam walker when I made it clear I was too clumsy to survive crutches.  I was given a cam walker on Monday and was able to report on Wed. the foot did not hurt when I wore the cam walker.  She also asked I keep as little weight on it as I could for the next week.  The first x-rays were taken in Phoenix and showed nothing.  The second x-rays were taken here and showed nothing but I was refered to a podiatrist who immediatley ordered an MRI which showed the break.

My work is reasonably close.  Between email, telephone and people coming to the house I am able to keep up.  What concerns me most is the difficulty many of you have had in finding treatment that worked and I am concerned about the time for bones in the foot to heal.  Please keep sharing your experiences and I will give reports on my experiences.  Take care.

I recently received the results of the bone scan and it determined that I either have an osteoid osteoma or a stress fracture in the right cuboid bone.  Went to see a surgeon and he has put me on more meds.  At this point, they think it may eventually go away unless I can't handle the pain anymore then surgery is an option.  My problem is this- I think its a fracture to the cuboid becasue I can feel the exact spot and it's painful just behind the toes.  Also, there is pain at times along the side of the foot, but I think that is caused from the torn ligament.  Anyways, has anyone out there had treatment for an osteoid osteoma?  My scan says increased uptake in the right cuboid bone is nonspecific and maybe associated with stress fracture, osteoid osteom or other lesion.  Can anyone else fill me in on what this means.  I see another doctor next week for a second opinion.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...
I fell back on Dec 27th 2007, and broke my cuboid bone. You actually do not break the bone it shatters. The Dr said that I was fortunate because it stayed intact . It first took me 12 days to get into my Ortho because he was in surgery and they would not let me see anyone else in the practice and because of my surgery there are not any local ortho's that take it so I had to wait. He put a cast on it for just about 8 weeks, then I had a boot on for 2 weeks. I was 100% non weight bearing but I was sent back to work. No way you can be 100% non weight bearing working. He just said to be careful and do only what you can do with the foot. He said to give it about a month before fully healed. I waited the entire month in pain, my whole left ankle bruised, swollen and my 2 toes ( not little toe the 2 next to it) numb running all the way to my ankle numb. I called the Dr and he said to give it a few more weeks and if still bothering me to call back. Finally I got discouraged and was at my family Dr for something else and asked him to look at it, he sent me for an x ray came back ok, 2 weeks later still in pain called him back and he sent me for an MRI, took 4 days to get the results but when they came back it said the I have a fracture in the cuboid bone and that I have swelling around the bone marrow which in return is causing very little blood flow to my foot so if I do not treat it now my bone can deteriate and within 2 years I will not have a bone left. So any of you that are still having issues in the area that you broke insist on having a MRI done . I have been probaly walking around for 2 months now with the fracture . I go to the Ortho tomorrow, I am going to be hating life if I have to go another 6-8 weeks casted. I am horrible on crutches because I have a really bad right knee.
How long will it take to get back to running, player soccer, etc? I was playing soccer and sustained a hairline fracture in my cuboid bone... I am in a walking boot now (after 1 month of delayed diagnosis and hobbling around). So, this happened early April, and I am at almost 7 weeks... 3 of which have been in a boot.
Any thoughts on time it'll take to get back to my running and soccer? Thanks,
I to have a hairline fracture in my cuboid bone and much like yourself, I have had a delayed diagnosis.  At first they thought tumor, but with second opinion its detemined a stress fracture in the cuboid bone.  I am in a boot and see the Ortho again in two weeks to determine the next stage of treatment.  I'm hoping that the boot will be removed, but I doubt it since I am in alot of pain still.  Did your Ortho give you any input on how long this could take to heal.  From everything I've read it seems to be time and rest is the best form of medicine.  I would think with soccer your doctor would be more concerned about reinjury to the bone or possible complete fracture if not healed properly.  Keep me up to date on your process.  Good Luck!
  I am a teacher also and have 2 kids (12 and 8).  On the way to school one morning about 4 weeks ago (I think, it might have been earlier by a week or two), I stepped on a rock in my driveway.  I rolled off my wedge sandal and the top of my foot became the bottom.  I knew I tore ligaments because of the immediate pain on the inside of my thigh and across the top of my foot to my big toe.  I went to work anyway and iced it, propped it up, and wrapped it.  I am a collaborative special ed teacher so I sat and did IEP's all day which I needed to anyway.  I was able to go to work the next day after I took my Advil.  I had some pain but it was understandable.  Well, my younger son came down with pneumonia so I stayed with him and had my shoe off all day at home.  I noticed that my foot was continuing to hurt and still had a bruised area.  Went to the doctor,  x-rayed, it and I have a broken cuboid bone of my right foot which I've been walking on at least 3 weeks!!  I'm on crutches and non-weight bearing for 3 weeks (just finished week 1) and then I'm in a boot for 3 weeks.  Thankfully, we just finished our school year on May 23 and I'm done packing up today.  However, it has hurt more these past 2 days that I've been at school cleaning up.  It has been swollen and really cold.  It is better when I prop it at home.  Perhaps because I've been up more since I've been resting?!  I have not been told to wrap it or get the boot until 3 weeks have passed?!  I chose to wear a tennis shoe when I'm in public as it offers me some protection and support but it is getting more and more difficult since it swells more.
     My family and I are headed out West on June 8th to see Yellowstone etc.  At that point, I am hoping to be in a boot and able to walk some.  We will just do day trips that don't require me to be on my feet as much.
      Thank you for writing about this fracture.  As you have found out, there isn't a whole lot out there on it since it is 'uncommon'.  It looks like this is going to be a slow process and not a pain-free one either.  I too wonder about weight bearing even in a boot if it is not healed entirely.  I'd like to be well when I return to school the first week of August.
      Oh yes, I was told not to take Ibuprofin as it slows the healing process.  I should take Tylenol if needed.  I was also told to take a baby aspirin when I wore the boot to ensure that I don't develop clots which is a concern for leg/foot breaks.  Also, if you are on crutches, make sure someone adjusts them properly and teaches you how to use them.  Thankfully, my mother is a former RN so she brought over a book for me to read and helped me to adjust them correctly.  It made a significant difference when the hand grips were in the right place, every inch counts.
     Please keep writing about this.  It helps to know there are others out there with this 'uncommon' fracture.  
     Best wishes and speedy healing to all,
       Jane
Well, my adventure continues.  After walking on my foot for 3, maybe 4 weeks, before diagnosis, I was given 3 weeks non-weight bearing and then 3 weeks in a boot.  Now, a week and a half into non-weight bearing (and no wrap, air cast, nothing), my foot becomes dusky purple and grey, gets pins and needles in my big toe, and becomes icy cold extending up above my knee.  Went back to the doctor who said this was not normal and fears that I am developing Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).  This is when the sympathetic nervous system goes haywire and senses pain and sends inflammation.  The inflammation causes more pain which then sets in motion a vicious cycle.  Several of the solutions:  Ibuprofin (which I was taking when I was walking on it and stopped taking when I was diagnosed) and mobility of the affected limb (but I am not supposed to bear weight!!)  I am wiggling my toes, stretching my ankle, and moving it as much as possible but don't want to cause more problems since there tends to be a good deal of soft tissue damage associated with this break and many ligaments attach to that bone.  I am going to an Ortho doctor next week to figure all of this out.  I have a hairline fracture but it causes so much pain.  Of course this could be my possible RSD since extreme pain beyond the norm for an injury is a symptom.  I have not had an MRI which I wonder if it might point out if there is other damage there too.
     I have read the many threads in this site.  It is very important that you be aware of RSD as I wonder if many of the other cuboid fracture sufferers also have it.  It can be a much worse, chronic, debilitating, painful problem that can last for years or even a lifetime.  I hope that I don't have it and that if I do, I have caught it at the early stages to try and reverse the process.
This has been an interesting forum to discover!  I stepped off an unexpectedly high step wearing 2-1/2" heels and ended up 'spraining' both ankles!  I saw the family dr. three days later (it was a weekend) and he x-rayed the ankle and said it was just badly sprained.  My left foot was moderately sprained, and by that day I was able to hobble around a little on crutches.  I was on crutches for 2 1/2 weeks until I could some weight on my right foot.  After a total of 6 weeks I was still unable to walk without a lot of limping and discomfort, and my foot was still swollen enough I couldn't wear any shoes.  Any shoes other than extremely flat ones hurt to wear anyway.  I called the dr. and asked if it was still supposed to hurt and be swollen.  He sent me to a foot and ankle specialist.  So, 7 weeks after the initial injury, she looks at my original x-rays and says she's suspicious I have a cuboid fracture and ordered more xrays.  I was given a boot to wear for 2 weeks and told to come back.
So, last week I saw the specialist again, and she asked how it was doing.  I said, better.  She said a couple more weeks in the boot, and I could try wearing sturdy tennis shoes around the house.  
Now it has been 10 weeks.  I don't wear the boot much because it's causing a lot of discomfort in my knee, which is a little delicate anyway.  I wear tennis shoes part of the day, but they don't feel really great either.  I go barefoot a little, just for a break from the cumbersome boot and shoes.  (I'm a barefoot gal!)  
With my son's graduation party this weekend, my foot is much more swollen than it's been, and it's still pretty tender and can hurt unexpectedly.  I see, from this forum, that that seems to be common.  Is there any consensus on what could be considered "normal" for this type of injury?  I was told to see the specialist in 4 weeks if I'm still having problems and pain...but apparently that's common.
I was told to use my foot as much as I could and let pain be my guide.  I have a lot of tenderness in the arch just in front of the heel pad. And of course, the burning in the cuboid area, and sometimes a sharp pain in the cuboid.  I feel like I'm not getting a lot of definitive help from my dr.  Is all of this normal, and should I just keep on keeping on?  I don't want to have reoccurring or long-term problems.
Thanks for the input!
see the specialist. ask for an MRI to be done. If it's indeed was a fracture and the boot isn't helping insist on a hard cast. If you see all the threads to the original post here that seems to be where every one ends up. It's a pain but your immobile non weight bearing and the bone has a chnace to heal. That bone doesn't have a lot of blood flow to it like the ones in the wrist and they are slow to heal. Mybe with a cast it will be more comfortable then the boot. I went through that agong! for me the cast was the ticket. Yes it was in the middle of the summer and HOT but in the end it helped the healing! And swelling was a HUGE part of my issue.
Good luck :)
Thanks.  I'll have to look into continued care.  I was hoping I was on the tail end of the treatment.  But my foot has been more swollen and sore the past couple of days than it's been for a few weeks.

Does this mean I need to be non-weight bearing again?  Or just wear the boot faithfully?  I have an elastic sock to wear with the boot to keep the swelling down (which I admit I haven't been wearing lately due to the heat, and I can't remember where I put it!)  I'm just frustrated that I thought this was basically mended and now it seems like I'm back where I was several weeks ago.  

I wish there were more answers!  I don't know what to do to aid the healing process.  Stay off it?  Non-weight bearing?  Using the boot and walking on it?  I used ibuprofen pretty regularly until I saw the specialist and she put me on Aleve.  

I guess I'll contact the doctor again if I'm still having similar problems in another 3 weeks...she said in 4 weeks to see her again.  It's now 10 weeks from date of injury.  

If anyone has any advice, I'm looking for some help.  The swelling makes it harder to walk on and feels "wooden".  I still have some numbness in my inner heel, pain when I try to rotate my foot, both on the outside by the cuboid bone and inside from the plantar faschia, I guess.  My doc gave me insoles to wear to support the arch, but I HATE them.  They hurt my feet.  Any input on that?
Thanks so much!  Onward and upward!

If I were you I'd seek different treatment sooner rather than later. I personally was walking on a fractured talus/cuboid for a MONTH before it was found via an MRI. actually bone bruising but the second dr. I saw in the same office callled it a stress fracture. My wife saw me do it and knew right away I broke it I was in denial! For me not weight bearing and a cast was the way to go. I went from cast to boot back to a cast again. The damn boot was more painful than the injury was. One size doesn't fit all! I can't speek for compression socks or arch supports. I can tell you I had swelling for 6 weeks out of 8 while in a cast. At first it was really intense but it settled down as time when on. Again If I were you I'd seek different treatment before you have some serious or long lasting affects to this. From what I have read on this site walking or partial weight bearing does promote bone healing.
I fractured my cuboid while exercising and have been dealing with pain for the last 6 months. Until recently dr's thought it was torn ligaments, tumor and whatever else they could come up with, but finally went to an Ortho who determined that it was a fracture after an MRI was completed.  I have been in a walking boot for 4 weeks with one more week remaining.  Ortho said I could take the boot off next week as long as I have no pain.  I have had to see him every two weeks since he diagnosed me.  Last week he injected cortisone shot to help with the swelling inside.  The foot is feeling better, but like you I have terrible pain when I rotate it, and after being on it for several hours I'm exhausted.  The boot does help with decreasing the weight that is put on the foot, and avoids the added stress that the foot could have without it.  My suggestion to you is this, wear your boot, or call your Ortho and get put into a cast.  You don't want to make this worse by not following the doctors advice.  Plus how do you know if your not healing correctly if your not doing what is asked.  I wish you the speedy healing.  Good Luck!
I wrote earlier in this thread about breaking my cuboid bone in mid April and walking on it for 3-4 weeks before diagnosis.  I know that there seems to be alot of pain and swelling with this fracture but I got into trouble with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in addition to it.  I wonder, after reading all the other people with pain for so long and swelling, if there are not more RSD sufferers out there.  My foot swelled, turned icy cold up to above my knee, and was purply-black when it was down for about 1 1/2 minutes.  If it didn't turn purple, it turned cherry red and swelled.  It also sweats profusely and I've shed the skin between my toes.  Thankfully, I don't have the extreme pain that can go along with this condition and am hopeful that it will not progress to that.  I am very hopeful that I will be able to combat it but RSD can be a chronic lifelong problem.  Please look into the RSDA.org website at the symptoms.  Early identification can help.  I am in week number 5 since diagnosis.  I must go to PT 3x week but am still only allowed to have it down for no more than 30 minutes at a time.  I also must TENS it every other hour for an hour at a time.(it really helps with pain!)  I also was on steroids for 12 days which made a huge difference in the swelling.  I am clumping around in my boot without much discomfort but it varies from day to day.  Stairs are still painful.  By the end of the day, I have more discomfort.  Please make sure that you do not have RSD.
      I would ask your doctor if you should be going to PT to work on strengthening your ankle and foot muscles.  I was totally surprised at how wimpy my ankle had become with 4 weeks of no use and the injury.  It is important that you strengthen it so that you don't risk injuring it again.  I have quite a few excercises to do many times during the day and am making steady progress but am glad to have a professional show me how to gently warm up my ankle/foot and to show me how it it supposed to be working.  I write the alphabet with my foot/ankle (no knee action at all), do heel lifts and toe lifts, scrunch towels with my toes, pick up Legos/marbles with my toes, and use resistance bands both up and down on my foot as well as side to side.  It may sound easy but it is really hard with my bum foot.  I would really go to an ortho doc if you haven't been to one since they have the most experience with this.
     Hope this helps.
I've also had a cuboidal injury that was diagnose on day number  one 6/1/08  after I twisted my foot while wearing heels.  I live in Long Island, NY and it happened in Manhattan.   I dislocated the talus and broke the fibula and the cuboidal, after manual reduction of the dislocation they immediately put on a hard cast.  No weigh bearing allowed for 6weeks  I was told on 6/13/08  that the orthro dr. who specialized in ankles and foot feel that the fibula will heal with no problem but the cuboidal bone does better with surgery than just letting it heal on its own. I nwas given   wheelchair for extended waling activity and home healthaide to assist while my husband was at work so that I will not go up and down the stairs on my own. I will cont to keep you  udated on my care and experiences.  I am also on heavy duty narcotics for the pain, dilaudid, Im not drowsy with it and it makes it more bearable to wear this cast.

shr5la
You all are very discouraging. I was injured in a car accident on 5/8. I thought I had broke my right ankle. The ER x-rays showed nothing. It was called a severe strain. Discharged with cruthces, ace wrap and told to elevate and ice it. The next day pain was unbearable so I returned to ER and ASKED for an MRI but was told it was not necessary, had more x-rays that still showed nothing. Returned to work, where I work 12 hour shifts as a floor nurse on my feet. Finally after 4 weeks I got my MRI and it showed a fractured cuboid. It really aggravates me that it takes so long for doctors to order MRI's on ankle injuries. I ASKED for a cam boot after three weeks so I was already treating myself for the fracture which made it easy for my doctor to say continue to wear that for three more weeks. I again am going to have to ASK for an Ortho consult and Physical Therapy. My physicians office is not being proactive at all. Aleve not only helps with pain and swelling but acts to reduce risk of DVT again prescribed by me. Also the TED hose(elastic sock) not only help with swelling but also reduce the risk of DVT. I just think it is sad that even though these professionals have had many, many years of education we still have to go online to find answers.
I'm still dealing with pain in my foot from my fracture 14 weeks ago.  I am scheduled to see the foot and ankle specialist in another week.  I don't know how much I should press this...I know it's better than it was (I couldn't even walk on it for 2 1/2 weeks!) but I know it's not where it should be.  I am still wearing The Boot most of the time, along with a compression stocking to reduce swelling.  I haven't been able to return to swimming because it hurts yet.  So, what is 'good' pain?  The exercises they gave me make the foot hurt where the fracture is/was...so I don't know if I should do them.  I suspect the fracture isn't healed all the way yet.  
I just want to know if this is going to get better, or if I have to treat it more aggressively.  Any ideas?
Also, what is a CAM boot?  Is it the same thing as the big, black, velcro-fastened boot I've been wearing?  And what is DVT?  Sounds scary!  
Thanks for sharing!  This has been a frustrating injury to deal with!
Hello, I had written a few weeks back regarding breaking my cuboid bone in Dec, was bothering me after cast being off and boot. Had another MRI which showed a stress fracture in the cuboid bone, Not sure if because took the boot off too quick or just too much walking on it. Went to another specialist at UCONN on the 17th of June and he did tell me that my cuboid bone is healed now but it will take up to 12 months for the pain to go away to just do as much as I can on the foot. But in his evualation he found that I have ligament damage on the back of my heel and around my cuboid bone area, which is not making my foot feel any better, he gave me a lace up do-jay brace to wear for 3 months and if that does not heal my ligaments I will have to go in for surgery. My ortho never found this ligament damage which I think came from my original fall. I could feel when he pulled my foot and ankle , I could feel the foot seperating , he did both feet so I could feel the difference and it was huge.
The physical therapy exercises should not effect your fracture. Walking without the boot will keep it from healing. A cam boot is an air cast. It has little air pockets that air up around the ankle to keep it more secure. A DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is a blood clot which you are at risk for if you are not walking around as you normally would. Hope this helps. Good luck.
10 weeks since injury. Still pain when on my feer for a while. Not unbearbale, but can definitely feel it is not like my non injured foot.
Dr. said I still have swelling and maybe some bone bruising, and now I have to start PT. Anyone else do PT, and did you find it useful? What a seemingly minor injury that has been a pain to get diagnosed, and also find information on!
Any cuboid fractures that are back to running or pretty physical activities?
hello - similar run around -- need some answers!  
     twisted ankle in Sept - all xrays negative.  Went to see pod. - cortisone shots, did not help.  April went to doc again still complaining,bone scan, and MRI.  Ortho was going to do a "debridement" but then had a CT scan and he sent me to an foot/ankle ortho.  This new guy puts me in a cam walker for 8 weeks.  How can that solve my problem when it happened in Sept?  Does everyone in a cam get to take it off at night?  MRI said stress fracture cuboid bone near calcaneal cuboid joint.  I saw the CT scan with the first Ortho who I really like.  It showed this wedge shape area in my cuboid that he explained was probably dead bone and that he wanted me to see an expert - and that guy just puts me in a cam.  Has anyone needed a surgery for this bone / area?
i fell on the bleachers at the ballfield and instead of my ligament tearing the ligament chunked off a piece of my cuboid.  nice.  i'm in a huge boot that looks like herman munster's shoes.  i get to take it off to bathe and sleep though.  they didn't give me any other restrictions.  still doing water aerobics.
hi my daughter had a trolley fall of recycle paper in it weighing approx 10 stone fall onto her foot 15 days ago she had 2 xrays which were clear but it is showing no signs of improvement her foot is swollen,bruised and very painful is unable to weight bear i returned to a & e again had  , 2 more x rays which were clear again i read about all the cuboid and lisfranc fractures on the web which concern me as they dont seem to show on normal x rays she has now seen a ortho at the fracture clinc and has been requested to do urgent physio and to return to ortho app in 3 wks , does this sound similar to any one elses experiences ??????
many thanks

I fell on 7/25 on the way to work - tripped over the cat dish and fell over on my foot - walked on it so I could get my son to preschool - - ouch! Had two sets of xrays taken at ER - first set on ankle showed nothing. Second set on foot showed cuboid fracture. Put in a splint and given crutches for a week to let swelling go down - told to return to ortho after a week to be casted - - went to ortho - new xrays taken showed fracture almost unable to see! Was going to get fiberglass cast but ended up getting aircast (boot); still no weight bearing (this is the 3rd week) - I have another appt 8/14 to follow up - - am hoping to get rid of the crutches - I need a shower! I hate sponge bathes! Plus I have a toddler (he has been very helpful though) and I would like to be able to get back to playing with him, doing laundry, cooking, etc. I am not feeling to good after reading all of this - it looks like 6-8 weeks is the norm for recovery - - I take the boot off at night to sleep and I have no swelling so perhaps I can recover faster than expected?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in.
The ER doctor found my left cuboid fracture, then referred me back to my family practitioner for follow up. Two weeks later, after many painful, swollen, black and blue days and nights in a removable air cast, my family doctor wanted to do a new xray on my foot.  Get this, he couldn't find the break??  (I didn't remember the name of the bone I fractured) I understand now that this is a hard bone to detect a break in a normal xray.  I felt like I was crazy and making up what the ER doctor told me.  He retrieved my records from the ER and was able to localize the area of the fracture to get an exclusive xray on just my left cuboid bone...........there it was.  I'm still in the air cast for another 4 weeks, but will be starting an at home, light physical therapy workout in 2 weeks.  It still aches over 2 weeks after the break.  Does anyone have advice as to when the aching stops?
Thanks to all who have contributed to the forum, it is very informative. Does this sound like a cuboid fracture? Severe swelling of the instep after being on my feet for an hour or so. Severe general pain in foot particularly sharp pains in the tendons leading to the fifth and fourth toes. Some sort of bony growth on the top front of the cuboid. The toe tendon pains usually start when I rest, take my shoe off and put the foot up. Ibuprofen and massage help pain but the condition is worsening. This has been going on for over 2 years. Don't remember specific fall or anything but I do have a tendency... Have seen two ortho specialists. #1 "degenerative condition of the midfoot bones - live with it!" #2 "high arches" - the insoles he arranged helped a little but only for a few months and the situation has deteriorated since then. Any help or comments very welcome as I cannot function properly and have little faith left in doctors.
I'm in week 12 of what was first tendonitus, then a stress fracture, to what is now a break with bone brusing. I went to the ER for 2 months over it, and they dismissed it as tendonitus...then had enough of that with no healing and went to an ortho, and he put me in a walking boot....I've been in that for about 3-4 weeks now and no change in pain.  I'm permitted to work 10 hour days.  Only pain med to help me is motrin...thats all the doc will prescribe.  WTF.  NO MRI yet!!  Can you believe that!!!  Guess I should demand one.  
I too am in pain after 1 month.  I chipped my cuboid bone but initially thought it was just a bad sprain, so I walked on it for 3 weeks which just made it worse.  I just want the pain to stop--never mind walking on it.  No cast, just told to stay off of it for another 3-6 weeks.  I have it bandaged though.   Sept. 19/08
HI there everyone. I have a case for you. Almost 2 years ago (the week before Christmas 2006) I stumbled on the stairs. Thinking that I had sprained it, I taped it up and went to work. I had a Doctor appointment later that week, so I waited til then to have it checked. I ended up in an aircast for about 2 weeks, with what he thought was was a sprain. Over the last 2 years this pain has come and gone, I would feel it all the time, but could still walk with no problem. Now you should know that I work as a Retail Cash Supervisor and I am constantly running around the store, 10 checkouts, large store. I have had 2 bone scans, PT as well as cortizone shots to no avail. August 28th 2008 I got out of the shower to find my 4 smaller toes blue in colour. Needless to say I went to emerge. They Xrayed it and found nothing. I was referred to the Hospital's fracture clinic to see the Foot and Ankle specialist. He ordered an MRI, and low and behold, nothing. He did say there was arthritis starting in the cuboid region, but had some bone growth he had never seen before. He wanted to show my file to some more specialists and get their ideas. Then he ordered a CT scan, which I have had and just waiting for the results. I do know that the ligaments and tendons are swollen. I now have this pain constantly and wear the aircast whenever I am at work, and sit with it elevated when at home. I have pain meds, and anti-flammatory drugs, but nothing really takes the pain away.

Any ideas??
Sorry BtownMum, I have no idea......however, today I wake up and my other foot is now swollen.  Once again, hard to put pressure on.  But this is not the foot with the broken cubeoid.  I'm very scared that something more is wrong.  
Well, I got the news on Friday that I have been walking around on a fractured cuboid for 2 years. The fact that I have walking on it so long, means I have done a lot more damage to it. I will find out Monday morning what that means exactly. The Dr. has prescribed Toradol(sp) for pain, which is also an anti-inflammatory works pretty well, except for grogginess. I tend to put my foot up, whenever I am at home, but when working, walk on it for 8-12 each day.

I had 4 x-rays, 2 bone scans, Physical Therapy, Cortizon shots, and an MRI, to no avail. The CT scan showed a fracture almost like a neon sign. I suggest this to everyone.

Talk soon.
Hi,I just got my MRI back after 3 days of injury which showed a fractured cuboid bone...put in a cam boot and told to walk on it so long as i have no pain. the first week or so i couldn't bear weight but now i can get around with minimal pain, still lots of bruising and swelling though. after reading this post i got nervous and called the doctor and asked why i am able to walk around on my injured foot and why i did not get a hard cast and he said that walking on it would help speed the healing process??? is this true? please let me know???thanks
MY doctor told me to stay off until fully healed 3-6 weeks.  I walked on mine for two weeks, I should say I limped, and he said I just delayed the healing by doing that.  He said when it is fully healed there will be no pain.  So as long as it hurts to walk on it you shouldn't be.  Use crutches!
Did you walk with a cam boot? when i walk with my boot on i really do not have much pain, it's mostly the throbbing from swelling. i'm in my 3rd week and am not taking any pain meds except celebrex for inflammation since the pain really isn't that bad....except when i have a 9 hour clinical and have to stand for so long...
I guess I have gotten used to the pain, I am on my feet 10-12 hours per day. I did get my results from my specialist, and due to the fact that I have been walking on a fracture for 2 years I have done a ton of damage.

I have to go for surgery. They will open me up, remove the cuboid, clean up the arthritis, remove the chip of bone that is floating around, then put my foot back together and using a plate and screws to fuse it to the bone beside it. How fun. This will not happen until January (my choice). I find that when I am at work with the boot on, the pain is not so bad. But as soon as that boot comes off, all I want todo is sit and elevate it.
Ouch!  I walked on mine for two -three weeks before I had it x-rayed.  The pain is way worse than at the start.  I think I have alot of nerve pain.
Several people in this thread seem to be annoyed that the fracture was not detected right away. I asked both my doctor about this and my mother who is an ER nurse. The reason that it often isn't detected right away is that it is an uncommon bone to fracture and therefore often difficult to spot on an xray. I, like others on here, had a second set of xrays 2 weeks post-injury that showed the fracture in my cuboid bone more clearly. It was explained to me that a healing fracture is MUCH easier to detect on an xray than the original fracture. Swelling and other issues can make the original xray more difficult for the radiologist to read. I did a little research myself on the internet and this seems to be the case. Healing fractures are often more easily detected. I think sometimes we need to remember that radiologists are people too and like any job it can sometimes be a difficult one to do. Just my two cents worth,
I feel everyone's pain. On 10-13-08, I was playing in my first basketball game this season. Everyone was so pumped, the feeling was infectious. Being the intense team we are, we had only one goal: being undefeated the entire season, and we were willing to do anything to get what we wanted. This would be the second to last year that we get to play basketball at the current format.

So, we went straight out to that court and gave the game our all. In warm-ups, a teammate caught a rebound that went against her thumb, instantly breaking her thumb in a way that only surgery could correct. That leaves 6 players for the game, including myself. Each player would be essencial.

2 quarters pass, us in the lead. We had just knocked the ball out, and they were taking it out. One of their girls pushed me in order to get the ball. My right foot slipped from under me, and my left foot got stuck with another player's from the opposing team. It twisted to the side violently, then landed on the nasty gymnasium floor. It was excruitiating pain, and I just wanted to quit the game. But I couldn't. I was point guard for the first game, and we're already in loss of a player. So I continued the game.

Six weeks later, still just as painful. I am getting an X-ray soon to see what's wrong. It's painful around my left cuboid, and they think that it's a stress fracture. update will come soon.

Oh, and did I mentionthat I'm ten?
I got the x-ray on a Friday and they saw something near the growth plate area that concerned them. They told me to play it safe and keep off of it until results come in. That meant that for the first basketball tourney I would be watching from the comfort of the the bench! They wrapped me up, and I was off. Luckily, I was still aloud to walk on it. I ruluctantly followed doctor's orders and waited impatiently for the answer. The following Tuesday, the results were in and they said that it was only a sprain. That night, I played a game against our rival and we won 16-2. I scored 10 points for us. Immediately afterwards, I was off to dance, where I danced for 2 straight hours. The next morning, I practiced for another hour. Then I got the call. Apparently, the X-ray reader had only looked at the pics of my ankle! He believed that it was broken, and scheduled me to go to the OS to make sure. So that afternoon I left school early and drove 20 min. to the nearest OS.

He twisted and turned my foot in many painful ways. He told me that it shouldn't be hurting like this for such a long time, and that it wasn't going to heal it's self. The x-rays didn't tell him everything he needed, so we got an MRI and again, I was told to stay of it as much as possible, but no crutches. However, he gave me a walking cast and notes to get me out of gym, dance, and basketball. Then the results came in. My team and I were praying that it wasn't broken, because the final tourney was the next week.

I was then informed that my cuboid was broken, and that it was no stress fracture, it was just a regular fracture. I was given crutches and told that I should go non weight-bearing for two weeks at the least, and wear the walking cast for many weeks after that. I guess that's not too bad.

Then they gave me the crutches. I can bearly use them! And now I'm stuck inside for Christmas, watching the Spurs kill the Suns.

Any advice? Comments? Sites? Somebody PLEASE just help me!!!!!!!!!!! ( I'm clueless.)
Wow, i wish i'd found this forum a long time ago!
I stepped off of a curb into a pothole (dark, early morning) on October 13th.  Immediately had swelling the size of a golf ball and went to the ED just to be safe.  They took an x-ray and diagnosed it as a bad sprain, wrapped it with an ace wrap and gave me crutches and sent me on my way with my foot swelling up even more.
I spent 3 days at home with my foot up watching it turn various shades of purple, green, blue, almost black looking, and massive swelling before i went back to work (on desk duty) for a few days.
A week later, i slipped on my crutches in the bathroom at work and had to put my foot down to avoid landing on my tush.  I was sent to OH and x-rayed again with no breaks/fractures noted.  I was given a cam walker and followed up weekly for about a month before starting PT in November.
My PT guy seemed surprised i was still having so much swelling and pain, and when i mentioned it to my doctor (at this point, was being followed by a sports medicine podiatrist), he re-examined and diagnosed torn ligaments based on the pain areas (achilles and cuboid area).  I had a series of cortisone shots done with no improvement at all, and the painful reactions i had weren't worth it!
Finally, since i was still having pain with walking and even waking up at night in pain, in January (3 months after the inital injury) he sent me for an MRI where, voila, they diagnosed a cuboid stress fracture.  He casted me for 2 weeks (he wanted longer but the cast made me very anxious and my toes started going numb at the end) and then put me back in the cam walker.  
I only just started going to PT again 2 days ago.  I still have pain with pressure, and pain in the achilles area, which makes me wonder if there is ligament involvement.
I'm just glad to be out of the cast and off of crutches but am ready for this to be over with!  It's been almost 5 months and i'm worried about how this is going to affect my alignment.  It's starting to cause my knees to ache from being unbalanced, even though i try to wear a comparable height shoe on my right foot.  I initially took 600mg ibuprofen around the clock but stopped when it started irritating my stomach after a few weeks.  I've recently had to start taking it again (either 600mg or 800mg a few times a day) which i'm not too thrilled about.

This is the most random injury!  I've gone my entire life (27 years) without breaking a single bone despite slips and falls and sports and dance, and one split second has left me on desk-duty and couchbound for waaaay too long.  So frustrating!
Hi All
All these posts sound so familiar,started off with sharp pain on putting my left foot to ground beginning of December ,walked and worked with it for 4 weeks,after being told it was a torn ligament,back to Dr hald xray done showed nothing,paid privately to see foot specialist,had MRI done showed stress fracture of the cuboid,complicated by asvascular necrosis,airboot and complete off loading for 1 month, another MRI showed it had healed,I have returned to work ,however in just as much pain as before,and a lot of swelling,this is now 3 months following the 1st symptoms,does anyone know if I should be still in pain ,how long does this take to diminish?
HI

two weeks ago I fell down the bottom two stairs misjudging the distance and have chipped bones in both feet, the talus.  I am in removable splints but my concern is that I have to put at least some weight on my feet otherwise I wouldn't be able to get around.  I use a wheelchair as much as I can but my home is so arranged that there are quite a lot of steps to get from the bathroom to the bedroom.  My left foot does burn quite a lot, and I still can't move my toes separately.  also the foot won't rotate.  would appreciate any comments.  Many thanks, Pauline
I to went with pain since late 2007 with a fractured cuboid in my left foot,
It happen when I was playing catch with my son when he though a football pass out of the way and I ran an jumped to catch it an landed on my left foot with no pain, I went to bed that night and when I got up the next morning and stepped to the floor an it felt like a knife going in my foot. So I walked on it thinking the pain will go away with time, Well like most of you guys have said, the pain just got worst, after about 6 mon. I went to a podiatrist an had a bone scan done an it came back negative. So she thinks that I may have planturs foot? an she sent to PT 3x a week for 2 weeks, DID NOT HELP AT ALL. So she had me spend all this money for inserts for my shoes $300.00 DID NOT HELP. So I went to another man podiatrist an he had me do a MRI an a bone scan an found out I had a fractured cuboid bone an he took me out of work for three month an had me to wear a cam walker an to stay off it as much as possible LOL thatwas hard to do since I was a football coach with the top team in the league, so I tried to wear the cam walker an coach to. I did not wear it has much as I should have, an of course the pain got worst, By the way my team went 9 - 0 for the season, after three months was upI went back to work still in pain. The Dr. told me to go an see a Dr. friend he had to get my archs lower (I have very high archs) to see if that will help, there is nothing wrong with my right foot so I said no way, soI droped him like a rock. After about three months I went to see a orthp.Dr.the first time he had me to go an get a bone scan done an it came back positive (I new I had a fracture).so he had me get for surgery two weeks later, He went in an fused the fractured together with 5 screws, right now I am in my third week of six weeks in a cam walker with know weight bearing an cutches. I was supposed to be in a cast but I talked him into letting me wear a cam walker because I have anxiety attacks. So for now I am in a cam walker with pain so far. So I will keep you guys informed after my walker comes off. stay turned.
Last year after track, I had a stress fracture in my fifth metatarsal and after being in a boot for 6 weeks it finally healed. Then after running cross country I was having pain in the same region so I decided to rest for 6 weeks, however, it was still bothering me so I got a bone scan and MRI and they found a bone bruise and stress fracture in my cuboid bone. So after 8 weeks in the boot again, I started running again and it felt fine. Then after track season I had another MRI because it was bothering me and they found the same stress fracture in the cuboid and they said that my fifth metatarsal was very "angry" but luckily it didn't fracture. So I've been back in the boot for 6 weeks and now resting without the boot for another 4 weeks. My doctor gave me a bone stimulator which seems to help, however I don't really know. They also are giving flexible orthotics with a hole underneath my cuboid to relieve the pressure from my bone. I'm going back for a bone scan to make sure its healed, but if it isn't then I'll have to get surgery and pin the bone. I hope this is the last time I have to deal with it because it's getting extremely frustrating. I don't know what the problem is because I've taken it extremely slow running wise after every time and consistently stay at very low mileage. I'm also going to get a gait analysis to see if something in my stride is off. I just want to be done with injuries and any advice would be appreciated.
Has anyone with a fractured cuboid also had a knee surgery called, Lateral Release?  I am convinced that the altered anatomy from my Lateral Release surgery has caused a change in the way I walk, putting greater stress on the middle of my foot, resulting in stress fractures of my foot.  Just curious.....anyone else out there with foot fractures after having knee surgery?
I fractured my right cuboid on 5/19/09. Went to emergency room, but the foot was so swollen that the xrays were inconclusive. Took the hospital's referral to ortho and got an appointment 2 weeks later. Redid xrays and confirmed that I had a fractured cuboid. Had a CT scan to give detailed information to doc. He suggested surgery (pinning vs open reduction) to solve the problem. He said the recovery time would be the same regardless of having surgery or not and that the surgery would only lessen the likelihood and severity of dealing with arthritis in the bone later in life.
I opted for the surgery since the recovery time would be the same. Had the surgery on 6/8. He was not able to pin the bone and ended up doing a bone graft with artificial bone because the cuboid was shattered in such small pieces that they couldn't be put back together.
I'm in very little pain at this point, but I don't put any weight on the foot! I've basically sat on my parent's sofa all summer. Thank goodness for cable tv, wireless internet and my laptop! I'm in grad school (online) and have been able to keep up with all my assignments. I'm a teacher so this is how I"m spending my summer vacation:)
I can't get into my house because of all the steps up to the front door! At my doc appointment yesterday (7/8) he said it was healing nicely, but I needed to stay completely off of it for 4 more weeks! This bone is a major weight bearing bone and when you flex your foot to walk, you put stress on the bone. My swelling is mostly gone and I start pt in 2 weeks to keep my ankle from stiffening up while I am not able to walk on it.
This has been a pain, but my ortho is great and I"m pleased with my progress. A friend of my broke her foot 2 days before me and is now walking around without any problem. She broke another bone in the foot and it was a clean break. Those fractures
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes you are lucky that your healing is taking place, follow your orthopaedician's advice for rest for 3-4 weeks.
Then you have to do Physiotherapy for gaining strength as you will have stiffness due to immobilization. Do not exert yourself and go slow and you will gain maximum strength by Physiotherapy. You surgeon will recommend what exercises you can do at your ankle initially and you can ask advice for a good Physiotherapist. Take care!
In January of 2009  I had surgery for a torn meniscus and a lateral release of my knee cap. In February of 2009 I started having increased pain when I walked in my right foot.  In April of 09  I went to a sports ortho Dr and he obtained some x-rays. Nothing showed up so he diagnosed me with a bruised Metatarsal head. I was put into a blue velcro walking shoe for two weeks. My pain got worse, he then gave me cortisone for a mortons neuroma, and said I had metatarsalagia... He also lined up a bone scan which I had. He claimed then that I had a 5th metatarsal stress fracture and put me in a hard cast. I was in that for one week and acidentally broke the cast. When I went in for a cast change the new one was pinching me so bad I went in the next day and they put me in a aircast ( I believe this is what you all are referring to as a CAM??? Not sure. Went back again for follow up a week later and had a hard lump on the side of my foot. He thought this to be another Neuroma and gave me more cortisone. He also said I had Synovitis which he injected and thought the cyst was a Synovial cyst. He also claimed I had Metatarsalagia...
He did an MRI and referred me to a Podiatriast surgeon..  For some odd reason my big toenail had turned black so when she examined me she felt the cyst which she referred to as a tumor, and said because my nail was black that we needed to be agressive because she was worried about Melanoma...a cancer. I saw her on Tuesday and went into surgery on Friday for removal and biopsy of my nail and so called tumor... Thank God everything came back ok and the so called tumor was a ganglion cyst, and from what I have read, they are caused from trauma. It is about 2 inches away from the initial pain I have been having.
Basically I have been in either a hard cast or my air cast since April 20, 2009. I was supposed to return to work tomorrow so I tried going without the blue shoe she put me back into post op.  I tried walking yesterday without the shoe in preperation of returning to work.  Big mistake, I ended up in bad pain last night and when I went for my follow up today from my surgery I was in tears telling my Dr I was in alot of pain in the ORIGINAL place in my foot that I started out with.  She asked me to stand up to see how my stance was and told me that I have a supinated stance and that this would explain alot.She took me off of work for one more week and told me to be in this at all times and to go and get fitted for custom made orthotics tomorrow.
She did alot of manipulation of my foot today because she had thought that maybe my cuboid was out of place.... Ever since then I have been in extreme pain and am MORE THAN FRUSTERATED....
I noticed on the referral to the orthotics appt that one of my diagnosis was cubiod fracture...
If anyone has ANY advice for me I would be delighted to hear from you. I am losing faith in the Dr's I have seen and really want to get to the bottom of all of this pain I have endured... She has me returning to work next Tuesday and cant even imaging walking for more than 15 minutes let alone putting in a 9 hour day....Thank you all for taking the time reading my LONG journey....
Prolonged cam walker use can cause multiple problems.  The leg length discrepancy that occurs puts strain on the hip, knee, and back.  Also since the injured leg is longer the body must shift over the longer leg to maintain balance.  Try putting an Evenup on the shoe opposite the foot in the fracture walker.  This levels the hips and straightens the spine.  Walking is so much easier.  see www.evenupcorp.com
YES! I had a lateral release done in Jan of 09. Interesting, maybe that is my promblem as well.. Im going to run this by my Doctor and see what she has to say. None the less though. Im wondering what can actually be done for a prolonged cubiod stress fracture as I have been in pain since Feb. and in and out of casts for over 3 months and the pain last night was worse than ever!  Feels like the worst toe cramp or charlie horse you have ever seen!  Problem is Im not even sure if she actually even saw the fracture on the MRI I think she is just assuming due to my symptoms. Frustrating having been given so many diagnosis at this point with nothing really concrete!
Could anyone please tell me what a CAM walker is? Im a bit confused..
Nevermind, I googled it. This is what they have had me in and out of for the past 3 months vs a hard cast. I use the grey aircast. The min. I take it off my foot starts hurting like nobody's business.... Ughhh...
Hey Guys,
I missed a few steps back in April and was diagnosed with a sprain . Two weeks later diagnosed with an avulsion fracture of cuboid bone. I was placed in a cam boot for 7 weeks but still had severe pain after removal and physical therepy.I was told it takes a very long time to heal due to circulation in the foot but after complaining repeatedly to my Dr. he ordered a CT scan.I now have to have surgury because the bone is no longer attached and floating..I am again back in my boot awaiting a surgury date..What an ordeal..Its amazing that one little bone can hurt so much..
I fell in January and fractured my CUBOID!! I was placed in a hard cast for six weeks after which the cast was removed - and I was told I would have to learn how to walk again. THERE IS A REASON WE DON'T REMEMBER THAT FAR BACK!! Tha pain was excruciating. I spent the best part of a month hobbling around with crutches trying to walk, but mostly being unable to even stand. I had to to have intensive physiotherapy. I have to say the physio department were great and tried just about everything- stretches, manipulations, frictions, ultrasound, wobble boards, wobble cushions to name a few. I have now been back to orthopaedics who after 9 months finally decided to re-xray to rule out any under lying problems. I am now being refered to Podiatry for 'orthotics' to see if these will help to alleviate the imense pain I still suffer daily. I will return to Orthopaedics just before christmas. Sorry - there is no quick fix. Good luck to all you fellow sufferers.
I was pushed over on 3 December and broke my cuboid bone and was in plaster for 3 weeks, it is still really painful, so much so I have been referred for physio and an mri scan, i have been told by my consultant that it will take upto 6 months to heal properly.  I havn't been able to wear shoes on my feet and have now got an infection in my foot which I may need to attend hospital now for an introvenus drip.  Really not happy
Hi. I am Day 4 L) cuboid # post twisted ankle in driveway! Interesting read! Looks like elevation, splint, & non-weight bearing best options... I currently just have a backslab POP on, & can move my foot pretty freely... Thinking I perhaps need to be more rigorous in keeping the bone still to complement bone healing. Am lead to believe it's only a small #, have minimal pain & taking NO painkillers since Day 2. Looking forward to Ortho App next week armed with
questions. How's you foot now?
Yeah, I'm not completely sure if this is the same, but it sounds a lot like mine. Just today I was walking around, perfectly fine. Came home & nothing was wrong, I sit on my couch for no more than fifteen minutes & when I got up my foot hurt to walk on, but I could bare. Then I go to sit down for five more minutes & get up & I can't walk on it at all, it even hurts to just spread my toes or move it in any direction. So I took my socks off & the skin over the cuboid bone is swollen. So this was only a matter of thirty minutes. Luckily I have a pair of crutches from when I broke my ankle, but it still partially hurts when it's just sitting there. & I've been icing it for five hours now. Could this be the same case at all or what?
Wow!  I am so happy to have found this forum.  I am recovering from plantar fasciitis surgery in December 2009.  I initially started having pain after using my Wii Fit in July 2009.  After injections in my left heel, it became clear that surgery was needed.  About 6-8 weeks pre-operatively I was started having pain over the top of my foot.  Xrays were taken but were inconclusive.  My podiatrist said it was a possible stress fracture due to walking on my toes to avoid the heel pain I was experiencing.  Now it is nearly 6 months post-op and I am having nearly constant pain in the cuboid area with pain in my ankle as well.

I went back to the podiatrist.  He did xray the foot and said that it looked as if I had a cuboid stress fracture and ordered an MRI.  I return to see him for the results in two days.  

My question is whether or not to get a removable boot or cast...as I am nearly positive that I will have to have one.  (I am driving cross-country by myself in two weeks, too!)  This is NOT a fun way to start my summer vacation!
Wow! Can't believe there are so many people suffering like me from the same kind of injury that was never diagnosed or was missed on an x-ray in the first place! I injured my left foot 6 weeks ago when I stepped on a garden hose and twisted my left foot. I heard something crack and was in excruciating pain and couldn't weight-bear. I RICE'd and it didn't swell up much at the time so I thought I just sprained it real good. Then about 2 weeks later (with me still limping around, it started swelling a lot if I was on it much, which I was. I finally went to my Dr. and he ordered an x-ray at the hospital. Well, I've been in the medical field most of my life and I don't have much confidence in ER x-ray doctors readings. Sure enough...nothing wrong. My doctor had thought I had a fractured 5th metatarsal. So, being a self-pay person (no insurance), I decided to live with the reading. Now it's 6 weeks and I am still swelling (but not as bad as before) on the top of my foot under the ankle bone and you can see there is a "protrusion" where I believe the cuboid is. I suppose I should go back to my doctor and see what he thinks. I'm afraid of the cost to go to an ortho since I don't have insurance. Wonder if it'll get better on its' own???  
I recently fell and hurt both of my feet. I broke the medial cuneiform in the right foot (diagnosed by mri two weeks after my fall like many of you on here), and i have bone contusions to the 5th met. base and cuboid bone on the left foot.  I have used my left foot, placing weight through the heel, to help transfer myself in and out of the wheelchair.  Other than that, there has been very little weight placed on that foot.  I have no cast for it, as the aircast was given to the right foot, and i was told i can't have two.  

I get in the pool each day to prevent blood clots in the legs.  I wrap my foot up in an ace bandage and let the foot move slightly and passively in the water.

I really need to be up walking in the next six weeks (my due date!).  I am panicked that i wont be.  How long can i expect this to heal?  The report said it is a bone contusion, possible trabecular microfracture of the cuboid.  Do i need to have it casted or is the brace on it most of the time ok?  Seems to be different schools of thought... some say movement is good and weight bearing slightly heals bone, others say nothing and casts.  I dont know what to do.... please help!  I need to know how long to expect til i can get out of this wheelchair. I can't imagine having a newborn and being in this wheelchair.  I can't even take care of myself!  
On 6/16/10 I was on vacation in Mexico.  On my first day there I was walking in the resort and fell off one step.  My entire weight landed on my left foot ( I was also wearing high shoes).  I immediately thought it was broken but I brushed it off.  I was too scared to go to the hospital down there, so I used an ace bandage to wrap it and wore sneakers.  I walked on it a lot and it hurt, but I have a high tolerance for pain so I thought it was just sprained.  It never really swelled up too much and had minimal brusing around the sides and a big bruise spot on the bottom of my foot.  

When I got back from vacation I made an appointment with a podiatrist.  He took x-rays and said it was not broken but put me in a CAM walker (soft cast).  The next week I had repeat x-rays since he said the break may not come up right away but when he got the results of that, he said it definitely wasnt broken.  He gave me a prescription for physical therapy.  He said I could wear sneakers or the boot, whatever made me more comfortable so I was walking around on just sneakers for about 3 weeks.  Also, on my second visit to him, he said I had tendonitis (which I found out is a common misdiagnoses when someone had a broken cuboid).

I took it upon myself to visit an orthopedist.  I showed him the same x-rays and he also said it did not look broken.  But he said since I was still in pain and couldnt bear weight correctly (I was limping) that I should get an MRI.  I got the results of the MRI a day later and doc called to say I have a broken cuboid bone.  I cant believe I had been walking around on a broken foot all this time!  

So I am back in the CAM boot and he said to use crutches.  They are such a pain and annoying to use, so I just hobble in the boot and try not to put too much pressure on the injured part of my foot.  It seems to be working ok.  But when I sleep and shower and walk around in the morning before I put the boot on for the day, the foot moves around a little and is painful.  Doc may put me in a plaster cast.  Not sure for how long though.  I have an appt with him in one week.  UGH.

i had a motorcycle crash 5!!!!! years ago and smashed my left leg cuboid as well, i had a cast for 7 weeks,i also had my toe joint removed .now 5 years later my leg hurts really bad with no improovment at all the funny thing is it hurts much more when i am resting and less when i am active,sometimes for no spetial reason when i walk or get up from sitting i have a sharp pain all over my foot the pain feels exactly as if i twisted my ancle.my doctor told me i need surgery to fix it but it will make me limp and he cant promiss me that the pain will stop,so if eney one can help me and suggest me shuld i do it or not
I too had a motorbike accident and broke my cuboid and medial cuneiform - luckily diagnosed immediately.  Am 17 weeks along now (but was not allowed to weightbear for the first twelve weeks) and have a limp which increases as the day goes on/foot swells. Still have pain over fracture site.  I'm guessing my limp will eventually go as my foot gets better.  Are you limp free at the moment then Therion?  Would the op cause a permament limp or just a temporary one? If it's temporary and gets rid of the pain that would be a positive.  Could you have physio/chiro to alleviate the pain?
How is everyone doing with their cuboid fractures? I almost don't want to ask for fear of hearing bad news. I broke mine almost 6 weeks ago and have strange pain and weakness-still in cam walker. I too was misdiagnosed for the first 2 weeks, and then received poor treatment for a week until i sought a second opinion from a podiatrist, who is fantastic. I would really appreciate any replies.
Hope you're all feeling better!
In June I stepped off a curb and right into a pothole. My foot went 90 degrees to my right leg. Seven weeks later, 2 complete set of x-rays and 2 MRI's they have diagnosed the injury as a fractured cuboid. As it has turned out I was telling them all along exactly where the pain was. I was given crutches and they made a plastic mold that I strapped on my leg and around the bottom of my foot for the first few weeks and then I was put into a walking boot, which I am still in. Three weeks ago I finally started PT but no weight bearing activity. My foot still aches and certain movements shoots a sharp pain along the top and down the side of the foot. My doctor assures me that I will be 100% but has not given me an exact date when I will be completely recovered. I ride a recumbent bike at home at least 30 minutes a day and hope to start taking short walks, maybe a couple of blocks. I am still skeptical at this point that I will be 100%.
My father broke his cuboid back in June and has had the same run around from his PCP since.  He finally talked the Dr into sending him to an ortho and he ordered an MRI.  Nothing else has worked for him and how has to have surgery.  The ortho Dr said that he will have to put a plate in his foot and fuse the bones back together.  Will let everyone know the outcome as soon as he is thru it!!
As the story seems about the same for all.  Misdiagnosed to begin with here.  PCP xrayed and told me it was a severe sprain it will take about 6 weeks to heal, mind you I work about 10 hours a day on my feet ugh.  I was off work for 2 weeks, at that point I was told I could go back to work.  Low and behold I suffered thru so much pain for 4 weeks.  Then was referred to Foot Specialist, re xrayed and he saw the Cuboid Fracture and the 5th Medatarsal had snap part off.  Followed this up with MRI confirmed the findings.  Out of work again 2 weeks, returned to work with CamWalker,what a joke working in these on your feet.  Did that about 6 weeks.  Then I was given a bone stimulator as xray didn't show any improvement.  Did this and still in the CamWalker for 4 weeks.  No improvement.  ugh I was told surgery is the only thing.  He did PRP injection in surgery (drilled 10 holes in bone and injected the bone cells from my blood) of course removed the snapped off bone.  Needless to say I am in week 7 postop still in allot of pain, allot of swelling.  I'm in 9th month of the begining of this nightmare.  Been off work since July 16, very frustrated and wonder if I will ever be able to work on my feet again.  I was told from the beginning this is a very odd break, and very difficult to get it to heal.  I never dreamed this.  I seriously have my doubts if this will ever heal.

Sharon Frustrated
It's great to read everyone's comments and discover that we're all in the same boat (or boot!) so to speak. I am lucky that I was not misdiagnosed.  I just waited too long to see a doctor.  I sprained my ankle on July 4th in Philadelphia (on cobblestones).  I turn my ankles quite easily, and thus didn't think anything of it.  The next day it was very swollen and I could barely walk on it. I was attending a conference in Phila. and had to walk to and from the train each day.  The first week it was pretty swollen, but I thought it was getting better.  I teach, so I was off all summer, and my normal routine is to go to the gym each day.  This is exactly what I did.  And after 3 weeks, it appeared my ankle was not healing.  I went for my annual checkup and showed my foot to my doctor.  She ordered an x-ray and told me that if it were negative, she would order an MRI.  Sure enough, it was negative, and so I had an MRI.  I applaud my doctor for immediately knowing what to do (no misdiagnosis here!).  And the MRI showed a fractured cuboid.  She referred me to a podiatrist.  He reviewed the MRI and prescribed a CAM boot (air cast) and crutches.  I never used the crutches.  I was pretty faithful wearing the boot the first week, but it became annoying.  And since I have never broken a bone in my body EVER, I guess I didn't take this seriously.  I went back for my 3-week follow-up appointment, and needless to say my doctor was not thrilled.  He took a baseline x-ray for reference and gave me a bone stimulator.  He told me if I did not wear the boot, I'd be in a cast soon.  School started that following week, and I have faithfully been wearing the boot.  However, since I am on my feet all day, the swelling has returned and increased, and I sometimes have a dull ache.  I do try to elevate my foot when I am home at night, but wearing the bone stimulator for 3 hours at a time is not always feasible.  Wondering what everyone else thinks of this (and whether I might have to be put in a cast).  I also feel that my ankle is now sore again due to having to carry that heavy boot.  
Hmmm, I found this site after doing a search on pain near the cuboid bone, and it sounds like me.  I rolled my ankle and broke the base of my 5th metatarsal, and am currently in a boot going on 9 weeks now because it's slow to heal.  However, I have a really painful area behind the 5th met, straight below the ankle, at the bottom of my foot, and on looking at an anatomy chart, it's the cuboid bone.  At first I was thinking it was the tendon, but none of the other symptoms of injuring that tendon match (only hurts in that spot, not further up).  It is EXTREMELY tender there and aches madly esp when I weightbear (only with the boot).  If my 8 week xray report says little healing, I will be referred to an ortho, so the info on this site has really helped me as I will be specific with him.  If I get sent to the ortho I had for my knee, I know he does bone scans so hopefully something would show up there.

That said, I hope I don't have this.  The 5th met thing is proving to be a long, torturous affair, and I don't really want to add a cuboid into the mix...
I broke my cuboid bone quite badly 4 weeks ago, by just rolling my ankle, i heard it snap.  Was put in a back slab for 2 weeks finally got to see ortho surgeon who told me i wouldnt be needing surgery, and was put in a full cast, which had to be reduced back to a back slab 2 days ago after only 2 weeks of being in a full cast,  due to swelling of my foot and cutting circualtion off in my foot, the pain in my foot is far worse now than when i 1st did it and is having very painful spasms (contraction like even). More Xrays taken 2 days ago show that the bone is still as broken now as it was the day i did it. It is extremely painful, and i cant use them damn crutches anymore i have brusing on my hands from them even. It is impossible to keep it elevated at all times and to keep weight off it.
After reading all your stories I must admit I am more than a little worried especially since the pain is worse now than when i done it, and pain killed dont do anything to help ease the pain.
I wonder if any medical peson has ever even broken one of these bones as they all seem to say 6-8 weeks for a full recovery
Well, as I stated on Dec 31, I broke the base of my 5th met, and it wasn't healing and I also had tenderness, burning and pain where the cuboid bone is.  At the 8 week xray, there was no further healing of my 5th met and I was referred to an ortho. .... What with Christmas, a death in my family, and the ortho being away, I finally got a call from his office today, at the 12 week mark...  And his secretary said that, quote "He says he doesn't need to see you, that it's healed if you don't have any pain."  Hello?  There was no healing on the last x-ray, and I *do* have soreness and pain, even with the boot.  Yes, it's been getting better, I can now put full weight on it and use only one crutch for balance around the house, but that spot (base of the 5th met and the cuboid bone area) still burns and aches, esp. at night.   I can't stand the weight of the duvet on that area even.  Waiting to hear back now that I said that.  Maybe the 5th met fracture has healed more by now (not sure how he'd know that unless he has ESP as I've not had any x-rays in the last 4 weeks...) but I definitely have something else going on, and would like the bone scan to see if it's a cuboid fracture.  If it's a tendon issue, then I want to know what I need to do for that.  I've tried putting a shoe on since the phone call, and it feels like I have a sharp, hot rock under the cuboid/5th met on my foot.  That doesn't seem right after almost 13 weeks now.  I expect some soreness in the arch, my heel, etc. due to muscles/ligaments not being used, but this is a deeper soreness.

I guess time will tell.....
Saw the ortho, he diagnosed peroneal tendonitis, prescribed a special orthotic to take pressure off the area, told me to take anti-inflammatories and come back in 6 weeks.  Well trying to get the orthotic correct is a nightmare -- the orthotist got sidetracked by the 5th met break and offloaded that area, not the cuboid, then said he would cut out the cuboid area when I said it hurt to have pressure there, and he did, but then filled it in with soft rubber!!!  So I have to send it back again.  I've been to physio and she says it's not tendonitis, she thinks there's something wrong with the tendon.  My foot and ankle are swollen enough that I have to wear a shoe 2 sizes bigger and even that is tight sometimes.  Can't handle ANY lateral arch support in a shoe, so I can only wear skater shoes.  I think it's possibly OS peroneum syndrome, and will bring it up with the ortho in 3 weeks when I see him again.  My GP has ordered a CT scan, but not sure when that will happen.  Hopefully before I see the specialist again!
Wearing a fracture boot for prolonged periods of time can be very trying.   Especially for people who must continue to function on their feet.  An Evenup device makes this much easier.
I fractured the cuboid bone in my left foot just over 8 weeks ago, after falling over at work (my foot slipped off a paving slab and turned inwards).  I felt an immediate sharp pain but was able to walk so assumed I had sprained my ankle.  I had two days off already rostered, so I rested and did the RICE treatment, but after three days the foot was still very swollen and it hurt to move my toes, so I went to see the local GP who precribed a splint and some painkillers and also ordered an xray 'just to make sure'.  Luckily the fracture (a small, 'tearing' type break) showed up straightaway on the xray and I was in a weight-bearing knee-length boot for 7 weeks (black with velcro straps) which I only took off to take a shower, I had to wear it day and night.  I was told not to drive and that I could walk but only a little, and I was signed off work for the whole 8 week period.  
Well, after my fourth set of xrays last week, my bone had finally healed and the boot came off - about time, I think it was about to walk off my foot and take a shower itself! (despite bathing my foot every day and spraying the boot with antibacterial liquid! The boot was also very heavy and, because of the difference in leg lengths, caused back pain and pain in my good leg)  I have a prescription for physiotherapy but I have already gone back to work three days ago.  I have never felt so tired in my life - after spending eight weeks planted on my sofa, going back to a very physical job that involves a lot of walking and being on your feet is exhausting and painful.  The doc said I should take it slowly to start with, but how slowly?  I haven't received much advice so far on how far I can push myself and I think I overdid it by working full-time 24 hours after taking the boot off.  No fault of my employer's, I hasten to add, they have been very understanding.  At the end of yesterday's work, my left foot and ankle were almost twice the size of the right one, even after having sat down for most of the afternoon.   Fortunately that seems to have alleviated today but I am concerned, like most of you, with the length of time I might need to make a full recovery of my foot's function.  Movement is getting a little easier but coming down stairs still feels very stiff and unnatural and I am still limping noticeably.  
Just thought I'd add my penny's worth to the forum, it's been very enlightening (if a little worrying) for me.  It's hard to believe a slip that took about a second could cause so much trouble!

I just fractured my cuboid about 4 and a half weeks ago and i to am feeling the pain right about now, but the weird thing is that i had an x-ray yesterday and it's said mine has healed. I have a hard fiberclass cast so i can't move mine around so i can't tell if it's just me being a hypocondriac???
Is this normal??

Thanks :D
I walked on my foot in pain for several weeks until I broke down and went to see my family dr. The one I normally see was on vacation so saw a partner. He took x-rays and said I had high arches causing Metatarsalgia, but looking that up on the net the symptoms were totally wrong. I went to specialist the next week. They took more x-rays and found a stress fracture on my cuboid bone. I had been walking on it all this time. She put me in a boot. She said I was good to work. ( I work in retail) I am a week in and am in more pain now then in the beginning. I am wondering why I am allowed to put weight on it, seems like everything on net says should be non weight bearing for first couple of weeks.
I have been having foot pain for about 3 months.  I am a pharmacist and am on my feet 40+ hours a week.  I couldn't handle the shredding pain across the top of my foot & up the outside of my ankle anymore, so I went to see a podiatrist.  As with most other posts the x-ray did not show a break, but MRI showed a left cuboid bone fracture.  My doctor ordered me to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and I am wearing a cam boot. He says weight bearing in a cam boot is not an option because he has seen too many patients with a cuboid bone fracture go on to crush the bone resulting in a "nutcracker fracture".  I think a cast would be a better option, as I am a horrible patient.  I have a knee walker which allows me to stay off it about 95% of the time.  The funny thing is that I have no pain as long as I stay off my foot and only minimal pain when walking in the cam boot.  I am off work for 6 weeks, but chasing around after my 2 year old and living in a bi-level home are obstacles to non-weight bearing.  Hopefully I am doing enough to heal.
I fractured my cuboid bone last week.. However, I knew RIGHT AWAY that something was wrong.  I feel off my stoop, and as soon as I stood up I fell right back down from the pain.  I can not even touch that foot without experiencing a nauseating pain.  The dr. put me in a boot and I have to go for an MRI, but he never told me if I was allowed to take the boot off to sleep.  I feel like the straps are causing more pain, so I took it off to rest it now (although I dont know if I am allowed).  Did anyones doctor tell them it was OK to take off the boot?
Yes I take mine off to shower and sleep
You need to be in a cast NOW!!!  You also need to have a bone bone dencadey test done A.S.A.P!.

I have this problem..This kind of fracture is often time hard to pick up on plain X-ray as it's a trabecular fracture which occurs along the normal line in your bone.

Hope this helped, However, the boot will not cut it!  You need to be in a cast and off your foot and using a wheel chair or crutches to get around.
It's crazy to see this many people with a similar story.

I hurt my foot camping at the beginning of June. My foot immediately swelled up and it looked like I had a clubbed foot. We were on vacation and had hiking planned, I wasn't going to ruin everyone else's plans so I toughed it out, as painful as it was.

When I got home, I figured I was able to handle it for a few days of hiking, I should be fine going forward. It'll get better. I work for the post office and walk all day. After a month of that, the pain was still there so I finally went to the doctor. Does an x-ray and says there's no break. It's probably just nerve damage. Just be careful, but you'll be fine. Come back in two weeks if its not better.

I come back in two weeks, and he refers me to a podiatrist for an MRI. So we're on 7 weeks of dealing with the pain!  The day after the MRI, I get a call from the Dr telling me I need to come in ASAP. I broke the cuboid bone in my left foot.

They put me in a boot(cam walker, or whatever it's called). I took it off all the time, because my toes always seemed to go numb. I took it off for showers, sleep, and any time I was on the couch for an extended period of time. Since I can't do my job with a boot, I had to stay home the entire time, so I was able to stay off it, and have the boot off. After 5 weeks, I go back, and this time they tell me I also had 3 broken metatarsals with the broken cuboid. But everything was healing correctly, so they took the boot off and allowed me to walk arounda little every day. I couldnt go back to work but was able to put some pressure on it.

After two weeks of that, I went back to the Dr. today, and he's cleared me to return to work full time with no restrictions.

So it actually only took 7 weeks for mine to heal, including a little more injuries. It 7 weeks to diagnose it!

Hope everyone else is doing well in their recovery.
I think I may have broken my cuboid although I don't remember hurting my foot but its been agony to walk or put weight on. I want to go to the ER or a swiftcare clinic but I think it'll be too expensive and I can't afford it. I was thinking of going to my GP but I don't know if he'll be able to do anything for me? Can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to go to the ER?
You sound just like me!! I am in a cast and it has loosened up and I am feeling the same things you are. I am 5 weeks in and have been resting it like you would not believe...went to dr. yesterday,and when he moved my foot around,and stuck his fingers in cast,the pain was horrible. so i have to go to the 8 weeks....so three more to go. dont feel so confident. He thinks I might have also torn some ligaments and/or tendons. so maybe thats what happened to you too. Wish I had more answers...will have to wait and see. He did say I would need physical therapy also.
Yes, I had a broken cuboid (right foot) from stepping hard on a bamboo stump, and eventually ended up having to use crutches and even a wheelchair. Due to my health insurance, it took a year to finally get to an orthopedic surgeon who did an MRI and found a break. It felt better immediately after surgery to remove a piece of bone the size of a kidney bean. Then years later, I was in a car accident, and I had a flare-up. Then in April I was coaching kids and stepped down on it hard and now I'm told I have another fracture. I was in a soft boot for one week, and I still can barely walk and have to keep elevating it and icing it. But I've only had an X-ray, and the ortho said to come back if it didn't clear up. So I'm trying to stay off it while still working. What a mess. Nothing to play with.
OMG! Your my ghost present and future. I just had surgery (cuboid) left foot. Stepped in a hole @ work. Same scenerio as everyone else. Except I was walking on 2 broken bones for 1 day shy of 2 months...unbelievable right!!! So 3 x-rays later, 1 nuclear bonescan i was finally dx with the broken bones. During this time I was wearing a boot. So the injury occured back in jan. of 2012. The hard cast went on in march; I only wore it for 4 wks.

I still had pain on the side of my foot after prolonged walking. Of course I was back to work on modified duty. By the end of 8 hrs. my foot was on fire.,.,., so now the orthro. sends me for a catscan, which showed bone healed however with deformity.
Now I'm pissed so I finally get smart and go to my own podiotrist, completly left the work drs. alone and he says surgery is required.
So i'm home nursing a sore foot.... My surgery was june 13. So my question to you is:::::: how long did you leave your bandages on? When did you finally surmerge your foot in water??

Actually that story was intended for you.....
I broke my cuboid bone in my left foot 8 weeks ago. I had a GREAT urgent care Dr. that caught it and sent me to a podiatrist who put me in a cast with crutches. After a few casts (changing due to swelling) and an air boot, which I first used with crutches, I am now in a sneaker (Brooks Adrenaline). It has taken me a few more days to walk without a cane because just being off your foot makes it difficult to put weight on it again.I have some swelling around the ankle. My Dr. also explained to me that your 5th and 1st metatarsal are also "involved" with this bone so that is why you will have some pain above where you broke your foot near your little toe and  also near the big toe. I think it will take 12 weeks for me to feel that this is taken care of. I'm a flight attendant so I just can't work till I'm 100%. Good luck everyone, never knew such a little bone could bring me to my knees!
Hey,

I've just been googling Cuboid bone fractures and came across your post which Im aware is dated from 2007 but wnatyed to send you a mesage anyway to find out what the outcome was as Im experiencing something very similar.
My cuboid has been broken 11 Weeks tomorrow. I am still on Crutches and had xrays last week and it still hasn't knitted.
I'm getting past from pillow to post. First I had a cast, then 4wks later I had another Xray, was told there was nothing wrong with it and to was told to throw my crutches away and walk on it, I was in so much pain I went back to the docs a few days later who sent me for an emergency MRI scan, that confirmed the bone was in fact still broken and I was sent to a specialist and a phyios. The physio fitted me with a cam boot which made my foot so bruised and painful I couldnt wear it, the physio told me to stop wearing it. The specilaist examined my foot and told me to come back a mnth later.
In the meantime I complained to the hospital regarding the fact they told me to walk on a broken bone and they asked me to come in for an appointment and see them.The hospital sent me straight off for xrays (it was now 9/10wk point) and fitted me with a cast and told me I should not have been fitted with the cam boot as its constantly making the bone move with the roller action.
A week later was my follow up appointment with the specialist who said he didn't want me wearing the cast and I had to start weight bearing on crutches even though the bone wasn't knitted.
I am tempting to do that at the moment and its so difficult as I have lost all muscle in my foot and leg and I have also developed CPRS?? (some hyper sensitive nerves) so when my foot touches the floor, i get sharp pains shoot up my big toe and leg and my foot feels like pins and needles.
I've also been told this injury can take 6-12mnths for the pain and swelling to go.
HELP! How long did yours take
Shiiit. This sounds exactly like me. I am currently at home with my foot in a moonboot. I fractured the cuboid bone in my right foot nearly 7 weeks ago (avulsion fracture). Read my time line:

Week one - off

20th Jan - Roll ankle by landing awkwardly on footpath. Visit emergency department at Casey Hospital immediately after. Undergo x-ray, told I have an avulsion fracture of the cuboid bone. Given compression bandage and crutches and that such a fracture is usually treated as a soft-tissue injury.

Week two - off

30th Jan - Visit Physiotherapist. He phones hospital to have x-ray results faxed to him. He tests flexibility, ROM and weight bearing ability. Applies heat and straps foot to provide better support. (Still on crutches and unable to put full weight on foot. Keeping leg elevated as much as possible).

Week three - work

4th Feb Two weeks since accident, decide to try to work. Next 5 days this involves a combination of order picking and forklift. I limp through the day, pushing through the pain. End of week, foot swollen, can’t really wear shoe comfortably.

8th Feb Friday, visit doctor after work due to accidently ‘jerking’ foot (whilst pivoting). Significant soreness is the result. Doctor requests another x-ray. Also advises me to take next week off and to get a ‘moon boot’. I discuss driving with the doctor. He doesn’t like the idea but says if I think I can get by then fine. Purchase boot on the day.

Week four – work part time

11-15th Feb Visit doctor on Monday to find out results of Fridays x-ray. The result hasn’t come through unfortunately. Doctor advises that despite not yet receiving the x-ray report, the result still would not affect his suggested treatment. Prescribes Celebrex.  Same day I visit the Physio for a second time. Treatment same as first, advises it would be good for me to put pressure on foot (walk periodically) to help stimulate bone regeneration. Also to perform some basic foot exercises. Manager advises I can work the Wed, Thur and Fri in office for 4 hour shifts - if I want. I agree to this; the most difficult part being the driving 50 min each way as foot still sore.

At this stage, upon purchase off moon boot at the end of previous week, I have been wearing it on and off, and trying to do what I can around house on one leg, or sitting in a wheelie chair (washing dishes, preparing meals etc), and resting it on the couch in between.

Week five and six – off work

18th Feb Monday, I attend work to relieve manager as he needs day off. I work in the office mainly, doing only a small amount of walking with one crutch and moonboot. Shortly after, foot becomes very sore.  Visit doctor up the road from work, explain whole situation, he orders a CT scan.

19th Feb Tuesday, the doctor, upon results of CT scan advises me to keep moonboot on (no ifs or buts) and to rest it for next two weeks solid. Since foot still not looking too good, doctor states that it’s a pity I hadn’t started wearing the moonboot earlier but still thinks I could be looking at a 6 weeks total time for recovery (4 weeks since accident at this stage) which he says is not too bad ultimately.

1st March Friday, I decide to leave moonboot off from here on as pain is becoming more frequent around the ankle and on top of the foot - yet the pain in the cuboid area seems to have diminished somewhat from the sharp stabbing pain experienced earlier on. Over the following weekend I notice foot is distinctly different in colour to my left foot. It is a light purple/reddish pink tone. I notice darker tones on the underside of the foot also. The foot appears as if it has not been receiving enough circulation.  Feels tingly or like it is ‘buzzing’. When I try to ‘full weight bear’, I get sharp pain around the ankle and on top, and a pins and needles sensation on the sole. At this stage, foot is significantly swollen to the point where I can’t wear a thong or sandals without significant pain.

4th March visit doctor, writes referral, prescribes Endone for pain, at my request. I book in to see an Orthopaedic surgeon.  (6 weeks since accident)

Like everyone else, I have a mis-diagnosed cuboid injury, and there is little online about this and possible recovery times. I began reading this thread even though it commenced in 2007.

My story started in Dec 2011, with two severe ankle rolls to my left foot within about 10 days of one another. Again, like a lot of others, I continued to walk on it for several days before seeking medical advice.

A trip to the physio turned into a trip to have some xrays, which upon first viewing showed nothing. After two weeks of complaining that the pain was not subsiding, I asked the physio if the radiologist was one prone to error. The physio revisted the xrays with the radiologist and found a seismoid bone on the outside of my left foot, which may or may not have been two pieces or one. So off for a bone scan and CT scan. Not a lot was made of those results, but after a few days in a cam bootm pain relief was felt, so I spent three weeks in the boot, mainly for pain relief as there was still only a sprain going on.

Did i mention the bruising and swelling all down the outside of my foot?? A horrfic pain under my foot, that I could only ever describe as something like a stirrup.

So physio continued (dry needling, massage, ultra sound, and at home exercises), until May 2012. At this point I was referred to a sports physician. He requested an MRI, and moderate odema of the cuboid was seen. Previously one of the scans had shown "traumatic arthritis" to the cuboid, but no one cared too much about that, except ME!!

Based on the inflammation of the cuboid itself and the joints on either side, the sports physician began a program of steroid injections into the joint. Four or five injections later, the doc tells me that this is as good as its gonna get, and i will merely have to avoid movements that aggravate and cause pain. Apparently bone oedmea can take months and months to heal, so i accepted this outcome. And by this time, end of August 2012, I still have swelling.

At this point, i visit my podiatrist and he suggested a soft insole, because i normally wear hard ones which are not ideal with a cranky cuboid. I gave up physio because the sports physician had told me to live with the pain and swelling. After a couple of months, I returned to the physio, who had wondered where I had gone, because the sports physician had written and recommended I continue the treatment. Pity, he did not tell me that. I usually walk for exercise, and had ceased this with a view to giving this cudoid a really good rest.

In late December 2012, I had returned to walking by this stage, I was feeling good with a couple of months of walkingunder my belt, that I thought it was time to start running again. I was only doing 5-6km runs at a slow pace, but enough to get the heart rate up. Foot is STILL swollen at this point.

By the end of Jan 2013, the foot pain had returned i spades. It was horrific. There was pain under my foot which was diagnosed as plantar fascitis, and treated as such. The physio suggested thati migt have a stress fracture of my navicular, so the GP referred me for a bone scan. What a surprise to hear that I have a stress fracture of my cuboid. So off to the orthopod foot/ankle expert.

He refers me to a second MRI, and the radiologist reading this set of pictures could see a law suit coming I am sure, because this report was two pages long. So not there is not a stress fracture, but excessive oedema of the cuboid (same thing????), evidence of an old fracture (does 14 months classify as old???), and severe tendonopathy with tears in the peroneual longus. This bloke wants to operated to strengthen the tendon, but does not want to talk about the cuboid. When I pressed him, he explained that the surgery would require 6 weeks of non weight bearing and a further 6weeks of limited weight bearing then three months of physio, so with all that rest I would have a rested cuboid and therefore healed cuboid. As well as the tendon repair he wants to do a heal re-alignment so as to limit the nature mild roll out that my foot does (pronate??). A lot of pain, whilst ignoring that cranky cranky cuboid. The specialist did state that the surgery is last resort when everything else has been tried with no success.

The surgery sounded fairly horrific with a long recovery, so i returned to my podiatrist and GP for further discussion. The GP was annoyed that the specialist refuses to use the term stress fracture, even though he could clealry see the "old" fracture. The podiatrist suggested that we are not at last resort yet, because the fracture (old or stress) has never been given an opportuit to heal.

So here I am at week number 6 of 8 in a cam boot and non weight bearing. The biggest shock now is that the swelling has finally gone from my foot and ankle. The time between periods of aching has increased, whilst the periods of aching have decreased. I have been putting a cream containing shark cartliage on twice daily, as well as an anti-inflam cream. I am also taking glucosamine with chondriton. These are all over the counter items from the pharmacy.

I am now busting to get out of this boot, or at least off the crutches beause i am finally starting to feel good, but after all this time, i dont wanna go backwards. Healing will be judged by way of bone scan rather than "feel" etc. Who knows how much physio i will now need to get up and active again, my leg is like a tooth pick. I am still cranky that this has been such a drama with medical errors all along the way, but finally things are looking positive.
I fell from my attic two years ago and damaged my cuboid and guess what two years on im still attending doc going for ultra guided injections for pain next week and if this does not work then i will have it fused so dont tell me about cuboids i would nearly do surgery myself now .
I broke my cuboid bone and the fourth and fifth metatarsal from my horse reading up and falling on me. This happened May 5 2013. I had a splint on for a week and then I got a cast out on after the swelling went down. I took a lot of supplements such as a daily multi-vitamin, magnesium, omega-3 and vitamin D, calcium and vitamin D plus I switched to eating as much protein as possible and took 6 pills of ibprofein daily and constantly wiggled my toes and had my foot elevated as much as possible. My doctor originally said it would be the fastest bone he ever saw heal if I didn't have to get a cast put back on. Well I had x-rays again June 11 and he was pretty amazed that he didn't have to put a cast back on. I have an air cast walker thing on and I'm not supposed to be walking on it but I have to start working with me horse so I have been longing her and walking on it when I'm with her and I feel no pain at all. The only thing is when I take my foot out of the cast and role my ankle my cuboid bone or something around it will pop or move, it doesn't hurt but I'm wondering why it is doing that? Anyway my next appointment is July 2 and then I'll be allowed to start walking on it in the walking boot, I can't wait to start riding again!
I broke my cuboid bone on 12/20 by slipping on wet floor in high heels.  The next day I could not even put weight onto my foot someone had to put me on their back to take me to a doctor.

The first doctor I saw took x-rays and confirmed it was broken.  He sent me for a CAT Scan on 12/24 (merry christmas to me).  He did not read the scan until 12/28 at which point he did not seem confident in his decision whether or not I would need surgery.

I consulted with the insurance to see if I was allowed a second opinion.  I saw a second doctor, highly rated on 1/8 (hard to get an appointment w/these specialists - they work so few days).  On 1/10 I had emergency surgery to repair my SHATTERED cuboid bone, what the doctor referred to as a jigsaw puzzle.  There was 5+ fractures of the bone and it had shortened in size.

The surgery added a metal plate and screws and bone graft to my foot.  They expanded the bone, filled it with bone graft and secured it with the plate/screws.  I did not walk/drive/move basically at all for several weeks (about 6).  After I was put in a boot, still non weight bearing for another 4 weeks.

I believe the beginning of April I was cleared to begin putting weight with the boot and slowly progress myself off the crutches/out of the boot.  It took a long time, a lot of patience and a great physical therapist to help me get to the stage where I walked then with a cane for a few weeks.  I finally walk without a cane/boot/cast/crutch/aid but I still experience severe pain.  Some days are better than worse, but at least one point in every day I have pain.

I received a cortisone shot for the pain/inflammation a month ago which helped for about two weeks and when it wore off the pain was extremely severe again.  Currently, my surgeon says I should have the plate removed as it may be rubbing against a tendon or the tendon that runs along the side of your foot may be growing in the scar tissue from the surgery.  Since there is metal in my foot, an MRI is no good as it won't accurately show.

Does ANYONE have any IDEA what to do?  I am petrified to have another surgery.
It's so helpful to hear your fractured cuboid stories, all so similar. It's somehow reassuring to know that I'm not alone in this as so little info is out there and it's been a frustrating experience so far, with probably more ahead.

On Aug. 15, I was in a hurry, carrying a bunch of assorted things in my arms. I partially stepped on the edge of a curb and my ankle rolled right over it to the pavement 8" below. Needless to say, I went down and all my things went flying. I didn't feel the pain right way and sat on the ground collecting the scattered items. A friend came over and helped me up. I thought I would be fine, but when I tried to take a step I felt terrible pain both on the bottom of my foot and also shooting across the top down to the ends of my toes.

I'm prone to rolling my ankles and had badly twisted and sprained the other foot a couple of years earlier. I didn't go to the doc that time. I just iced it, elevated it, borrowed a crutch and took it easy, and it did heal on it's own over a few weeks. So at first I thought this injury would follow the same course, Especially since there was very little swelling this time and no bruising. I followed the elevation and ice treatment, and the pain was pretty bad. It throbbed, it stabbed, and strangely, seemed to vibrate painfully deep inside.

The next day, caring friends pressured me to go to the doc. I went to a well-known bone & joint practice that has their own walk-in clinic and got an x-ray. The on-call doc who saw me was not a foot specialist. I think he was a shoulder-guy. He told me there was no break, but I had strained ligaments that may take several weeks to heal. He gave me a boot to wear and told me to keep off my foot as much as possible and come back for a check up in a few weeks.

I stayed home from work a few days and tried to wear the boot, but it seemed to put pressure on one particular spot just below my ankle toward the outside of my foot causing further pain. It hurt more to wear the boot than not to wear it. I couldn't deal with it, so I gave up the boot, went back to work and limped around the office for several weeks. After a while, the pain was still there, but had decreased and I thought I was on the mend.  

At 6 weeks after injury I went back for the check-up and new x-ray. This time I saw a real foot specialist. She saw something on one of the bones that looked suspicious and sent me for an MRI. Because the injury happened at work, all this was a workman's comp issue and had to go through their approval system, so it was another 2 weeks before I actually got the insurance company's approval for the MRI, had the MRI, and got another appt. with the same foot specialist to learn the results. I was shocked to find I had a broken cuboid -- and that it was still broken.

The MRI report noted a nondisplaced cuboid fracture and significant marrow edema associated with the fracture. I think the nondisplaced part is a good thing, but even so, healing has not yet taken place.

The doctor told me to wear the boot all the time except to bed and to shower. Ugh! I tried to wear it for a couple of days, but it still caused such pain. Now I understood that the location of the pain was, of course, right over the broken cuboid.

I went back to the doc and found I was not wearing the boot correctly, that my heel was not far enough back so the position of the straps was off and putting pressure right over the cuboid. Once we figured that out and got me fitted properly, I found the boot to be at least not painful, which helps. But it's cumbersome and tiring to wear all day every day. My job requires a lot of walking in a large, spread out building, so I've been trying to still do my job and walk as little as possible... good luck with that!

I also finally got approved this week for the bone stimulator that the doc prescribed, so I've started that every day.

So, now I'm at 9 1/2 weeks since injury, still having pain. Even the light pressure of the covers on my bed is painful so that I position a pillow down by my feet at night to hold the covers up off my foot.

I think when I first was injured, I was in denial... I thought it was a "simple" sprain and would heal on it's own... Now that I know the cuboid is broken, and from reading many of your posts, I'm grimly understanding how difficult and long the healing process is and it's finally sinking in that I must stay off it as much as possible and be good about wearing the boot. Easier said than done. I can't afford to be off work for weeks on end. But then, I can't afford not to do what it takes to get better.

So far there has thankfully been no mention of a cast or possible surgery. Now if I can just be good!

I've fractured my cuboid in my left foot 3-4 weeks ago now and have not had a problem with swelling. My doctor (in Hong Kong) told me to get a bucket/bowl (wide enough for my foot) filled with cold water and a tray of ice cubes, then put my foot in and leave it for at least 10 mins twice a day.

It's uncomfortable to say the least sticking your foot in a bucket of ice-water but it relieves pain and swelling.

Good luck to all you fellow sufferers and here's to getting the boot off!