Fractured Cuboid Bone in Left Foot
Right before the memorial day holiday I got up from the desk in our home office and noticed my left foot was really hurting me. I was limping around as I got the kids to bed and thought perhaps when I was sitting at the desk that maybe I overstretched the foot and it needed to just calm down. By 4AM the next morning I made the decision to go to the ER as it was hurting that bad.

Because I had not recalled falling or tripping, no xray was done and I was told I had plantar fascitis (sp?). They allowed me to leave with crutches and pain meds.

I did a follow up with my primary the next morning - he sent me for an xray to be sure nothing was broken. The report he got back from the xray showed nothing, or so it said.

I stayed home from work for 2 days thinking that between those 2 days and the long holiday weekend, I would be much better the following week. However, the pain continued and I noticed after work the next Tuesday my foot was very swollen.

Our onsite nurse at work suggested asking my primary for an MRI to ensure there was no break in the foot or ankle. I called and scheduled the MRI for 6/4 - almost 2 weeks since the initial symptoms had started.

Meantime, I wore a walking shoe we had left over from other toe injuries that the hospital had given us mainly because my foot hurt more when it was in a sneaker and the walking shoe just had soft velcro closures.

I got the MRI done and went to work. The primary called me around lunchtime that day and said the MRI showed a cuboid bone fracture in the left foot and explained that this bone was right where I was indicating alot of pain.

He also wondered how I broke that particular bone and suggested that it could have been a stress fracture where you do an activity every day and at some point the bone cannot handle the activity and breaks. Also, I had given birth to my 2nd child a few months prior and was very anemic the entire pregnancy - they thought this could have been a contributor as well to the bone breaking.

He told me to see an ortho Dr. that day as I needed the foot stabilized in a cast or cam walker.

My regular orth Dr. was in the process of relocating his offices to a new space (he had done 2 knee surgeries on me) so I was forced to call any ortho Dr. in the area. The only Dr. who could see me that day was a podiatrist who worked within a large group of ortho Dr's in the area - my primary assured me that a podiatrist was just as good to address the break so I made the appt.

I found out once I was there that the break was actually seen on the xray from 2 weeks prior - apparently whoever read the xray and did the report overlooked it so in essence, I had been walking around with a broken foot for 2 weeks. The MRI simply confirmed everything.

I was put in a cam walker and told it was 6 weeks minimum to recover. I was instructed to only take it off to bathe and the rest of the time I had to wear it.

As much as I was relieved to find an answer to the issue with the foot, I knew this was going to be hard as I just had my 2nd child the end of 2006 and my husband works 2 jobs. They did not instruct me to stay out of work - they simply said rest it as much as possible.

I elected to stay out of work for 2 days and then return after that in an effort to get the swelling down.

I am currently in week 3-4 and the foot started really hurting me last week and continues to hurt just as much as it did when this first happened. In addition, my 2nd toe is numb and it is not from over tightening the cam walker - I have been very diligent in ensuring the boot is not on too tight.

I did notice with the 2nd toe that when I press on the top of the toe in the corner by the nail, I get alot of pain and wondered if maybe it was an ingrown nail - never had one so I am unsure how it would feel and can an ingrown nail cause numbness?

Needless to say I caved as the pain became more then just a distraction and I first called my ortho and found he was out on vacation this week for the 4th of July holiday. So I called the podiatrist office and bumped up my 5 week follow up appt. to this week (Thurs) as I felt that having pain at this point wasn't normal........my fear is that the foot is not healing for some reason and they will either continue with this boot for more time, put a permanent cast on me or say only surgery can repair.......the last 2 options I really have no inclination to do as it would severly incapacitate me in being able to care for the children.

My questions:

1. should a fractured cuboid hurt this much at the 1/2 way mark (3-4 weeks in cam walker)?

2. what am I looking at realistically if it appears that the break is still there and not healing?

I have found limited information on this particular break in this particular bone and am very frustrated in having to wear a boot almost 24/7 and now it hurts more then when I first injured it.

At home I have 4 floors in the house so everything is stairs - by the end of the day it feels like I am lugging around 50 extra pounds on the leg when I trudge up and down the steps.

Any information reg my partiicular injury and what the possible reasons for the pain to start up again would be appreciated as well as what I am realistically looking at if this week's xray shows it is not healing.

Thank you in advance.
Could anyone please tell me what a CAM walker is? Im a bit confused..
Nevermind, I googled it. This is what they have had me in and out of for the past 3 months vs a hard cast. I use the grey aircast. The min. I take it off my foot starts hurting like nobody's business.... Ughhh...
Hey Guys,
I missed a few steps back in April and was diagnosed with a sprain . Two weeks later diagnosed with an avulsion fracture of cuboid bone. I was placed in a cam boot for 7 weeks but still had severe pain after removal and physical therepy.I was told it takes a very long time to heal due to circulation in the foot but after complaining repeatedly to my Dr. he ordered a CT scan.I now have to have surgury because the bone is no longer attached and floating..I am again back in my boot awaiting a surgury date..What an ordeal..Its amazing that one little bone can hurt so much..
I fell in January and fractured my CUBOID!! I was placed in a hard cast for six weeks after which the cast was removed - and I was told I would have to learn how to walk again. THERE IS A REASON WE DON'T REMEMBER THAT FAR BACK!! Tha pain was excruciating. I spent the best part of a month hobbling around with crutches trying to walk, but mostly being unable to even stand. I had to to have intensive physiotherapy. I have to say the physio department were great and tried just about everything- stretches, manipulations, frictions, ultrasound, wobble boards, wobble cushions to name a few. I have now been back to orthopaedics who after 9 months finally decided to re-xray to rule out any under lying problems. I am now being refered to Podiatry for 'orthotics' to see if these will help to alleviate the imense pain I still suffer daily. I will return to Orthopaedics just before christmas. Sorry - there is no quick fix. Good luck to all you fellow sufferers.
I was pushed over on 3 December and broke my cuboid bone and was in plaster for 3 weeks, it is still really painful, so much so I have been referred for physio and an mri scan, i have been told by my consultant that it will take upto 6 months to heal properly.  I havn't been able to wear shoes on my feet and have now got an infection in my foot which I may need to attend hospital now for an introvenus drip.  Really not happy
Hi. I am Day 4 L) cuboid # post twisted ankle in driveway! Interesting read! Looks like elevation, splint, & non-weight bearing best options... I currently just have a backslab POP on, & can move my foot pretty freely... Thinking I perhaps need to be more rigorous in keeping the bone still to complement bone healing. Am lead to believe it's only a small #, have minimal pain & taking NO painkillers since Day 2. Looking forward to Ortho App next week armed with
questions. How's you foot now?
Yeah, I'm not completely sure if this is the same, but it sounds a lot like mine. Just today I was walking around, perfectly fine. Came home & nothing was wrong, I sit on my couch for no more than fifteen minutes & when I got up my foot hurt to walk on, but I could bare. Then I go to sit down for five more minutes & get up & I can't walk on it at all, it even hurts to just spread my toes or move it in any direction. So I took my socks off & the skin over the cuboid bone is swollen. So this was only a matter of thirty minutes. Luckily I have a pair of crutches from when I broke my ankle, but it still partially hurts when it's just sitting there. & I've been icing it for five hours now. Could this be the same case at all or what?
Wow!  I am so happy to have found this forum.  I am recovering from plantar fasciitis surgery in December 2009.  I initially started having pain after using my Wii Fit in July 2009.  After injections in my left heel, it became clear that surgery was needed.  About 6-8 weeks pre-operatively I was started having pain over the top of my foot.  Xrays were taken but were inconclusive.  My podiatrist said it was a possible stress fracture due to walking on my toes to avoid the heel pain I was experiencing.  Now it is nearly 6 months post-op and I am having nearly constant pain in the cuboid area with pain in my ankle as well.

I went back to the podiatrist.  He did xray the foot and said that it looked as if I had a cuboid stress fracture and ordered an MRI.  I return to see him for the results in two days.  

My question is whether or not to get a removable boot or cast...as I am nearly positive that I will have to have one.  (I am driving cross-country by myself in two weeks, too!)  This is NOT a fun way to start my summer vacation!
Wow! Can't believe there are so many people suffering like me from the same kind of injury that was never diagnosed or was missed on an x-ray in the first place! I injured my left foot 6 weeks ago when I stepped on a garden hose and twisted my left foot. I heard something crack and was in excruciating pain and couldn't weight-bear. I RICE'd and it didn't swell up much at the time so I thought I just sprained it real good. Then about 2 weeks later (with me still limping around, it started swelling a lot if I was on it much, which I was. I finally went to my Dr. and he ordered an x-ray at the hospital. Well, I've been in the medical field most of my life and I don't have much confidence in ER x-ray doctors readings. Sure enough...nothing wrong. My doctor had thought I had a fractured 5th metatarsal. So, being a self-pay person (no insurance), I decided to live with the reading. Now it's 6 weeks and I am still swelling (but not as bad as before) on the top of my foot under the ankle bone and you can see there is a "protrusion" where I believe the cuboid is. I suppose I should go back to my doctor and see what he thinks. I'm afraid of the cost to go to an ortho since I don't have insurance. Wonder if it'll get better on its' own???  
I recently fell and hurt both of my feet. I broke the medial cuneiform in the right foot (diagnosed by mri two weeks after my fall like many of you on here), and i have bone contusions to the 5th met. base and cuboid bone on the left foot.  I have used my left foot, placing weight through the heel, to help transfer myself in and out of the wheelchair.  Other than that, there has been very little weight placed on that foot.  I have no cast for it, as the aircast was given to the right foot, and i was told i can't have two.  

I get in the pool each day to prevent blood clots in the legs.  I wrap my foot up in an ace bandage and let the foot move slightly and passively in the water.

I really need to be up walking in the next six weeks (my due date!).  I am panicked that i wont be.  How long can i expect this to heal?  The report said it is a bone contusion, possible trabecular microfracture of the cuboid.  Do i need to have it casted or is the brace on it most of the time ok?  Seems to be different schools of thought... some say movement is good and weight bearing slightly heals bone, others say nothing and casts.  I dont know what to do.... please help!  I need to know how long to expect til i can get out of this wheelchair. I can't imagine having a newborn and being in this wheelchair.  I can't even take care of myself!  
On 6/16/10 I was on vacation in Mexico.  On my first day there I was walking in the resort and fell off one step.  My entire weight landed on my left foot ( I was also wearing high shoes).  I immediately thought it was broken but I brushed it off.  I was too scared to go to the hospital down there, so I used an ace bandage to wrap it and wore sneakers.  I walked on it a lot and it hurt, but I have a high tolerance for pain so I thought it was just sprained.  It never really swelled up too much and had minimal brusing around the sides and a big bruise spot on the bottom of my foot.  

When I got back from vacation I made an appointment with a podiatrist.  He took x-rays and said it was not broken but put me in a CAM walker (soft cast).  The next week I had repeat x-rays since he said the break may not come up right away but when he got the results of that, he said it definitely wasnt broken.  He gave me a prescription for physical therapy.  He said I could wear sneakers or the boot, whatever made me more comfortable so I was walking around on just sneakers for about 3 weeks.  Also, on my second visit to him, he said I had tendonitis (which I found out is a common misdiagnoses when someone had a broken cuboid).

I took it upon myself to visit an orthopedist.  I showed him the same x-rays and he also said it did not look broken.  But he said since I was still in pain and couldnt bear weight correctly (I was limping) that I should get an MRI.  I got the results of the MRI a day later and doc called to say I have a broken cuboid bone.  I cant believe I had been walking around on a broken foot all this time!  

So I am back in the CAM boot and he said to use crutches.  They are such a pain and annoying to use, so I just hobble in the boot and try not to put too much pressure on the injured part of my foot.  It seems to be working ok.  But when I sleep and shower and walk around in the morning before I put the boot on for the day, the foot moves around a little and is painful.  Doc may put me in a plaster cast.  Not sure for how long though.  I have an appt with him in one week.  UGH.

i had a motorcycle crash 5!!!!! years ago and smashed my left leg cuboid as well, i had a cast for 7 weeks,i also had my toe joint removed .now 5 years later my leg hurts really bad with no improovment at all the funny thing is it hurts much more when i am resting and less when i am active,sometimes for no spetial reason when i walk or get up from sitting i have a sharp pain all over my foot the pain feels exactly as if i twisted my ancle.my doctor told me i need surgery to fix it but it will make me limp and he cant promiss me that the pain will stop,so if eney one can help me and suggest me shuld i do it or not
I too had a motorbike accident and broke my cuboid and medial cuneiform - luckily diagnosed immediately.  Am 17 weeks along now (but was not allowed to weightbear for the first twelve weeks) and have a limp which increases as the day goes on/foot swells. Still have pain over fracture site.  I'm guessing my limp will eventually go as my foot gets better.  Are you limp free at the moment then Therion?  Would the op cause a permament limp or just a temporary one? If it's temporary and gets rid of the pain that would be a positive.  Could you have physio/chiro to alleviate the pain?
How is everyone doing with their cuboid fractures? I almost don't want to ask for fear of hearing bad news. I broke mine almost 6 weeks ago and have strange pain and weakness-still in cam walker. I too was misdiagnosed for the first 2 weeks, and then received poor treatment for a week until i sought a second opinion from a podiatrist, who is fantastic. I would really appreciate any replies.
Hope you're all feeling better!
In June I stepped off a curb and right into a pothole. My foot went 90 degrees to my right leg. Seven weeks later, 2 complete set of x-rays and 2 MRI's they have diagnosed the injury as a fractured cuboid. As it has turned out I was telling them all along exactly where the pain was. I was given crutches and they made a plastic mold that I strapped on my leg and around the bottom of my foot for the first few weeks and then I was put into a walking boot, which I am still in. Three weeks ago I finally started PT but no weight bearing activity. My foot still aches and certain movements shoots a sharp pain along the top and down the side of the foot. My doctor assures me that I will be 100% but has not given me an exact date when I will be completely recovered. I ride a recumbent bike at home at least 30 minutes a day and hope to start taking short walks, maybe a couple of blocks. I am still skeptical at this point that I will be 100%.
My father broke his cuboid back in June and has had the same run around from his PCP since.  He finally talked the Dr into sending him to an ortho and he ordered an MRI.  Nothing else has worked for him and how has to have surgery.  The ortho Dr said that he will have to put a plate in his foot and fuse the bones back together.  Will let everyone know the outcome as soon as he is thru it!!
As the story seems about the same for all.  Misdiagnosed to begin with here.  PCP xrayed and told me it was a severe sprain it will take about 6 weeks to heal, mind you I work about 10 hours a day on my feet ugh.  I was off work for 2 weeks, at that point I was told I could go back to work.  Low and behold I suffered thru so much pain for 4 weeks.  Then was referred to Foot Specialist, re xrayed and he saw the Cuboid Fracture and the 5th Medatarsal had snap part off.  Followed this up with MRI confirmed the findings.  Out of work again 2 weeks, returned to work with CamWalker,what a joke working in these on your feet.  Did that about 6 weeks.  Then I was given a bone stimulator as xray didn't show any improvement.  Did this and still in the CamWalker for 4 weeks.  No improvement.  ugh I was told surgery is the only thing.  He did PRP injection in surgery (drilled 10 holes in bone and injected the bone cells from my blood) of course removed the snapped off bone.  Needless to say I am in week 7 postop still in allot of pain, allot of swelling.  I'm in 9th month of the begining of this nightmare.  Been off work since July 16, very frustrated and wonder if I will ever be able to work on my feet again.  I was told from the beginning this is a very odd break, and very difficult to get it to heal.  I never dreamed this.  I seriously have my doubts if this will ever heal.

Sharon Frustrated
It's great to read everyone's comments and discover that we're all in the same boat (or boot!) so to speak. I am lucky that I was not misdiagnosed.  I just waited too long to see a doctor.  I sprained my ankle on July 4th in Philadelphia (on cobblestones).  I turn my ankles quite easily, and thus didn't think anything of it.  The next day it was very swollen and I could barely walk on it. I was attending a conference in Phila. and had to walk to and from the train each day.  The first week it was pretty swollen, but I thought it was getting better.  I teach, so I was off all summer, and my normal routine is to go to the gym each day.  This is exactly what I did.  And after 3 weeks, it appeared my ankle was not healing.  I went for my annual checkup and showed my foot to my doctor.  She ordered an x-ray and told me that if it were negative, she would order an MRI.  Sure enough, it was negative, and so I had an MRI.  I applaud my doctor for immediately knowing what to do (no misdiagnosis here!).  And the MRI showed a fractured cuboid.  She referred me to a podiatrist.  He reviewed the MRI and prescribed a CAM boot (air cast) and crutches.  I never used the crutches.  I was pretty faithful wearing the boot the first week, but it became annoying.  And since I have never broken a bone in my body EVER, I guess I didn't take this seriously.  I went back for my 3-week follow-up appointment, and needless to say my doctor was not thrilled.  He took a baseline x-ray for reference and gave me a bone stimulator.  He told me if I did not wear the boot, I'd be in a cast soon.  School started that following week, and I have faithfully been wearing the boot.  However, since I am on my feet all day, the swelling has returned and increased, and I sometimes have a dull ache.  I do try to elevate my foot when I am home at night, but wearing the bone stimulator for 3 hours at a time is not always feasible.  Wondering what everyone else thinks of this (and whether I might have to be put in a cast).  I also feel that my ankle is now sore again due to having to carry that heavy boot.  
Hmmm, I found this site after doing a search on pain near the cuboid bone, and it sounds like me.  I rolled my ankle and broke the base of my 5th metatarsal, and am currently in a boot going on 9 weeks now because it's slow to heal.  However, I have a really painful area behind the 5th met, straight below the ankle, at the bottom of my foot, and on looking at an anatomy chart, it's the cuboid bone.  At first I was thinking it was the tendon, but none of the other symptoms of injuring that tendon match (only hurts in that spot, not further up).  It is EXTREMELY tender there and aches madly esp when I weightbear (only with the boot).  If my 8 week xray report says little healing, I will be referred to an ortho, so the info on this site has really helped me as I will be specific with him.  If I get sent to the ortho I had for my knee, I know he does bone scans so hopefully something would show up there.

That said, I hope I don't have this.  The 5th met thing is proving to be a long, torturous affair, and I don't really want to add a cuboid into the mix...
I broke my cuboid bone quite badly 4 weeks ago, by just rolling my ankle, i heard it snap.  Was put in a back slab for 2 weeks finally got to see ortho surgeon who told me i wouldnt be needing surgery, and was put in a full cast, which had to be reduced back to a back slab 2 days ago after only 2 weeks of being in a full cast,  due to swelling of my foot and cutting circualtion off in my foot, the pain in my foot is far worse now than when i 1st did it and is having very painful spasms (contraction like even). More Xrays taken 2 days ago show that the bone is still as broken now as it was the day i did it. It is extremely painful, and i cant use them damn crutches anymore i have brusing on my hands from them even. It is impossible to keep it elevated at all times and to keep weight off it.
After reading all your stories I must admit I am more than a little worried especially since the pain is worse now than when i done it, and pain killed dont do anything to help ease the pain.
I wonder if any medical peson has ever even broken one of these bones as they all seem to say 6-8 weeks for a full recovery
Well, as I stated on Dec 31, I broke the base of my 5th met, and it wasn't healing and I also had tenderness, burning and pain where the cuboid bone is.  At the 8 week xray, there was no further healing of my 5th met and I was referred to an ortho. .... What with Christmas, a death in my family, and the ortho being away, I finally got a call from his office today, at the 12 week mark...  And his secretary said that, quote "He says he doesn't need to see you, that it's healed if you don't have any pain."  Hello?  There was no healing on the last x-ray, and I *do* have soreness and pain, even with the boot.  Yes, it's been getting better, I can now put full weight on it and use only one crutch for balance around the house, but that spot (base of the 5th met and the cuboid bone area) still burns and aches, esp. at night.   I can't stand the weight of the duvet on that area even.  Waiting to hear back now that I said that.  Maybe the 5th met fracture has healed more by now (not sure how he'd know that unless he has ESP as I've not had any x-rays in the last 4 weeks...) but I definitely have something else going on, and would like the bone scan to see if it's a cuboid fracture.  If it's a tendon issue, then I want to know what I need to do for that.  I've tried putting a shoe on since the phone call, and it feels like I have a sharp, hot rock under the cuboid/5th met on my foot.  That doesn't seem right after almost 13 weeks now.  I expect some soreness in the arch, my heel, etc. due to muscles/ligaments not being used, but this is a deeper soreness.

I guess time will tell.....
Saw the ortho, he diagnosed peroneal tendonitis, prescribed a special orthotic to take pressure off the area, told me to take anti-inflammatories and come back in 6 weeks.  Well trying to get the orthotic correct is a nightmare -- the orthotist got sidetracked by the 5th met break and offloaded that area, not the cuboid, then said he would cut out the cuboid area when I said it hurt to have pressure there, and he did, but then filled it in with soft rubber!!!  So I have to send it back again.  I've been to physio and she says it's not tendonitis, she thinks there's something wrong with the tendon.  My foot and ankle are swollen enough that I have to wear a shoe 2 sizes bigger and even that is tight sometimes.  Can't handle ANY lateral arch support in a shoe, so I can only wear skater shoes.  I think it's possibly OS peroneum syndrome, and will bring it up with the ortho in 3 weeks when I see him again.  My GP has ordered a CT scan, but not sure when that will happen.  Hopefully before I see the specialist again!
Wearing a fracture boot for prolonged periods of time can be very trying.   Especially for people who must continue to function on their feet.  An Evenup device makes this much easier.
I fractured the cuboid bone in my left foot just over 8 weeks ago, after falling over at work (my foot slipped off a paving slab and turned inwards).  I felt an immediate sharp pain but was able to walk so assumed I had sprained my ankle.  I had two days off already rostered, so I rested and did the RICE treatment, but after three days the foot was still very swollen and it hurt to move my toes, so I went to see the local GP who precribed a splint and some painkillers and also ordered an xray 'just to make sure'.  Luckily the fracture (a small, 'tearing' type break) showed up straightaway on the xray and I was in a weight-bearing knee-length boot for 7 weeks (black with velcro straps) which I only took off to take a shower, I had to wear it day and night.  I was told not to drive and that I could walk but only a little, and I was signed off work for the whole 8 week period.  
Well, after my fourth set of xrays last week, my bone had finally healed and the boot came off - about time, I think it was about to walk off my foot and take a shower itself! (despite bathing my foot every day and spraying the boot with antibacterial liquid! The boot was also very heavy and, because of the difference in leg lengths, caused back pain and pain in my good leg)  I have a prescription for physiotherapy but I have already gone back to work three days ago.  I have never felt so tired in my life - after spending eight weeks planted on my sofa, going back to a very physical job that involves a lot of walking and being on your feet is exhausting and painful.  The doc said I should take it slowly to start with, but how slowly?  I haven't received much advice so far on how far I can push myself and I think I overdid it by working full-time 24 hours after taking the boot off.  No fault of my employer's, I hasten to add, they have been very understanding.  At the end of yesterday's work, my left foot and ankle were almost twice the size of the right one, even after having sat down for most of the afternoon.   Fortunately that seems to have alleviated today but I am concerned, like most of you, with the length of time I might need to make a full recovery of my foot's function.  Movement is getting a little easier but coming down stairs still feels very stiff and unnatural and I am still limping noticeably.  
Just thought I'd add my penny's worth to the forum, it's been very enlightening (if a little worrying) for me.  It's hard to believe a slip that took about a second could cause so much trouble!

I just fractured my cuboid about 4 and a half weeks ago and i to am feeling the pain right about now, but the weird thing is that i had an x-ray yesterday and it's said mine has healed. I have a hard fiberclass cast so i can't move mine around so i can't tell if it's just me being a hypocondriac???
Is this normal??

Thanks :D
I walked on my foot in pain for several weeks until I broke down and went to see my family dr. The one I normally see was on vacation so saw a partner. He took x-rays and said I had high arches causing Metatarsalgia, but looking that up on the net the symptoms were totally wrong. I went to specialist the next week. They took more x-rays and found a stress fracture on my cuboid bone. I had been walking on it all this time. She put me in a boot. She said I was good to work. ( I work in retail) I am a week in and am in more pain now then in the beginning. I am wondering why I am allowed to put weight on it, seems like everything on net says should be non weight bearing for first couple of weeks.
I have been having foot pain for about 3 months.  I am a pharmacist and am on my feet 40+ hours a week.  I couldn't handle the shredding pain across the top of my foot & up the outside of my ankle anymore, so I went to see a podiatrist.  As with most other posts the x-ray did not show a break, but MRI showed a left cuboid bone fracture.  My doctor ordered me to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and I am wearing a cam boot. He says weight bearing in a cam boot is not an option because he has seen too many patients with a cuboid bone fracture go on to crush the bone resulting in a "nutcracker fracture".  I think a cast would be a better option, as I am a horrible patient.  I have a knee walker which allows me to stay off it about 95% of the time.  The funny thing is that I have no pain as long as I stay off my foot and only minimal pain when walking in the cam boot.  I am off work for 6 weeks, but chasing around after my 2 year old and living in a bi-level home are obstacles to non-weight bearing.  Hopefully I am doing enough to heal.
I fractured my cuboid bone last week.. However, I knew RIGHT AWAY that something was wrong.  I feel off my stoop, and as soon as I stood up I fell right back down from the pain.  I can not even touch that foot without experiencing a nauseating pain.  The dr. put me in a boot and I have to go for an MRI, but he never told me if I was allowed to take the boot off to sleep.  I feel like the straps are causing more pain, so I took it off to rest it now (although I dont know if I am allowed).  Did anyones doctor tell them it was OK to take off the boot?
Yes I take mine off to shower and sleep
You need to be in a cast NOW!!!  You also need to have a bone bone dencadey test done A.S.A.P!.

I have this problem..This kind of fracture is often time hard to pick up on plain X-ray as it's a trabecular fracture which occurs along the normal line in your bone.

Hope this helped, However, the boot will not cut it!  You need to be in a cast and off your foot and using a wheel chair or crutches to get around.
It's crazy to see this many people with a similar story.

I hurt my foot camping at the beginning of June. My foot immediately swelled up and it looked like I had a clubbed foot. We were on vacation and had hiking planned, I wasn't going to ruin everyone else's plans so I toughed it out, as painful as it was.

When I got home, I figured I was able to handle it for a few days of hiking, I should be fine going forward. It'll get better. I work for the post office and walk all day. After a month of that, the pain was still there so I finally went to the doctor. Does an x-ray and says there's no break. It's probably just nerve damage. Just be careful, but you'll be fine. Come back in two weeks if its not better.

I come back in two weeks, and he refers me to a podiatrist for an MRI. So we're on 7 weeks of dealing with the pain!  The day after the MRI, I get a call from the Dr telling me I need to come in ASAP. I broke the cuboid bone in my left foot.

They put me in a boot(cam walker, or whatever it's called). I took it off all the time, because my toes always seemed to go numb. I took it off for showers, sleep, and any time I was on the couch for an extended period of time. Since I can't do my job with a boot, I had to stay home the entire time, so I was able to stay off it, and have the boot off. After 5 weeks, I go back, and this time they tell me I also had 3 broken metatarsals with the broken cuboid. But everything was healing correctly, so they took the boot off and allowed me to walk arounda little every day. I couldnt go back to work but was able to put some pressure on it.

After two weeks of that, I went back to the Dr. today, and he's cleared me to return to work full time with no restrictions.

So it actually only took 7 weeks for mine to heal, including a little more injuries. It 7 weeks to diagnose it!

Hope everyone else is doing well in their recovery.
I think I may have broken my cuboid although I don't remember hurting my foot but its been agony to walk or put weight on. I want to go to the ER or a swiftcare clinic but I think it'll be too expensive and I can't afford it. I was thinking of going to my GP but I don't know if he'll be able to do anything for me? Can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to go to the ER?
You sound just like me!! I am in a cast and it has loosened up and I am feeling the same things you are. I am 5 weeks in and have been resting it like you would not believe...went to dr. yesterday,and when he moved my foot around,and stuck his fingers in cast,the pain was horrible. so i have to go to the 8 weeks....so three more to go. dont feel so confident. He thinks I might have also torn some ligaments and/or tendons. so maybe thats what happened to you too. Wish I had more answers...will have to wait and see. He did say I would need physical therapy also.
Yes, I had a broken cuboid (right foot) from stepping hard on a bamboo stump, and eventually ended up having to use crutches and even a wheelchair. Due to my health insurance, it took a year to finally get to an orthopedic surgeon who did an MRI and found a break. It felt better immediately after surgery to remove a piece of bone the size of a kidney bean. Then years later, I was in a car accident, and I had a flare-up. Then in April I was coaching kids and stepped down on it hard and now I'm told I have another fracture. I was in a soft boot for one week, and I still can barely walk and have to keep elevating it and icing it. But I've only had an X-ray, and the ortho said to come back if it didn't clear up. So I'm trying to stay off it while still working. What a mess. Nothing to play with.
OMG! Your my ghost present and future. I just had surgery (cuboid) left foot. Stepped in a hole @ work. Same scenerio as everyone else. Except I was walking on 2 broken bones for 1 day shy of 2 months...unbelievable right!!! So 3 x-rays later, 1 nuclear bonescan i was finally dx with the broken bones. During this time I was wearing a boot. So the injury occured back in jan. of 2012. The hard cast went on in march; I only wore it for 4 wks.

I still had pain on the side of my foot after prolonged walking. Of course I was back to work on modified duty. By the end of 8 hrs. my foot was on fire.,.,., so now the orthro. sends me for a catscan, which showed bone healed however with deformity.
Now I'm pissed so I finally get smart and go to my own podiotrist, completly left the work drs. alone and he says surgery is required.
So i'm home nursing a sore foot.... My surgery was june 13. So my question to you is:::::: how long did you leave your bandages on? When did you finally surmerge your foot in water??

Actually that story was intended for you.....
I broke my cuboid bone in my left foot 8 weeks ago. I had a GREAT urgent care Dr. that caught it and sent me to a podiatrist who put me in a cast with crutches. After a few casts (changing due to swelling) and an air boot, which I first used with crutches, I am now in a sneaker (Brooks Adrenaline). It has taken me a few more days to walk without a cane because just being off your foot makes it difficult to put weight on it again.I have some swelling around the ankle. My Dr. also explained to me that your 5th and 1st metatarsal are also "involved" with this bone so that is why you will have some pain above where you broke your foot near your little toe and  also near the big toe. I think it will take 12 weeks for me to feel that this is taken care of. I'm a flight attendant so I just can't work till I'm 100%. Good luck everyone, never knew such a little bone could bring me to my knees!
Hey,

I've just been googling Cuboid bone fractures and came across your post which Im aware is dated from 2007 but wnatyed to send you a mesage anyway to find out what the outcome was as Im experiencing something very similar.
My cuboid has been broken 11 Weeks tomorrow. I am still on Crutches and had xrays last week and it still hasn't knitted.
I'm getting past from pillow to post. First I had a cast, then 4wks later I had another Xray, was told there was nothing wrong with it and to was told to throw my crutches away and walk on it, I was in so much pain I went back to the docs a few days later who sent me for an emergency MRI scan, that confirmed the bone was in fact still broken and I was sent to a specialist and a phyios. The physio fitted me with a cam boot which made my foot so bruised and painful I couldnt wear it, the physio told me to stop wearing it. The specilaist examined my foot and told me to come back a mnth later.
In the meantime I complained to the hospital regarding the fact they told me to walk on a broken bone and they asked me to come in for an appointment and see them.The hospital sent me straight off for xrays (it was now 9/10wk point) and fitted me with a cast and told me I should not have been fitted with the cam boot as its constantly making the bone move with the roller action.
A week later was my follow up appointment with the specialist who said he didn't want me wearing the cast and I had to start weight bearing on crutches even though the bone wasn't knitted.
I am tempting to do that at the moment and its so difficult as I have lost all muscle in my foot and leg and I have also developed CPRS?? (some hyper sensitive nerves) so when my foot touches the floor, i get sharp pains shoot up my big toe and leg and my foot feels like pins and needles.
I've also been told this injury can take 6-12mnths for the pain and swelling to go.
HELP! How long did yours take
Shiiit. This sounds exactly like me. I am currently at home with my foot in a moonboot. I fractured the cuboid bone in my right foot nearly 7 weeks ago (avulsion fracture). Read my time line:

Week one - off

20th Jan - Roll ankle by landing awkwardly on footpath. Visit emergency department at Casey Hospital immediately after. Undergo x-ray, told I have an avulsion fracture of the cuboid bone. Given compression bandage and crutches and that such a fracture is usually treated as a soft-tissue injury.

Week two - off

30th Jan - Visit Physiotherapist. He phones hospital to have x-ray results faxed to him. He tests flexibility, ROM and weight bearing ability. Applies heat and straps foot to provide better support. (Still on crutches and unable to put full weight on foot. Keeping leg elevated as much as possible).

Week three - work

4th Feb Two weeks since accident, decide to try to work. Next 5 days this involves a combination of order picking and forklift. I limp through the day, pushing through the pain. End of week, foot swollen, can’t really wear shoe comfortably.

8th Feb Friday, visit doctor after work due to accidently ‘jerking’ foot (whilst pivoting). Significant soreness is the result. Doctor requests another x-ray. Also advises me to take next week off and to get a ‘moon boot’. I discuss driving with the doctor. He doesn’t like the idea but says if I think I can get by then fine. Purchase boot on the day.

Week four – work part time

11-15th Feb Visit doctor on Monday to find out results of Fridays x-ray. The result hasn’t come through unfortunately. Doctor advises that despite not yet receiving the x-ray report, the result still would not affect his suggested treatment. Prescribes Celebrex.  Same day I visit the Physio for a second time. Treatment same as first, advises it would be good for me to put pressure on foot (walk periodically) to help stimulate bone regeneration. Also to perform some basic foot exercises. Manager advises I can work the Wed, Thur and Fri in office for 4 hour shifts - if I want. I agree to this; the most difficult part being the driving 50 min each way as foot still sore.

At this stage, upon purchase off moon boot at the end of previous week, I have been wearing it on and off, and trying to do what I can around house on one leg, or sitting in a wheelie chair (washing dishes, preparing meals etc), and resting it on the couch in between.

Week five and six – off work

18th Feb Monday, I attend work to relieve manager as he needs day off. I work in the office mainly, doing only a small amount of walking with one crutch and moonboot. Shortly after, foot becomes very sore.  Visit doctor up the road from work, explain whole situation, he orders a CT scan.

19th Feb Tuesday, the doctor, upon results of CT scan advises me to keep moonboot on (no ifs or buts) and to rest it for next two weeks solid. Since foot still not looking too good, doctor states that it’s a pity I hadn’t started wearing the moonboot earlier but still thinks I could be looking at a 6 weeks total time for recovery (4 weeks since accident at this stage) which he says is not too bad ultimately.

1st March Friday, I decide to leave moonboot off from here on as pain is becoming more frequent around the ankle and on top of the foot - yet the pain in the cuboid area seems to have diminished somewhat from the sharp stabbing pain experienced earlier on. Over the following weekend I notice foot is distinctly different in colour to my left foot. It is a light purple/reddish pink tone. I notice darker tones on the underside of the foot also. The foot appears as if it has not been receiving enough circulation.  Feels tingly or like it is ‘buzzing’. When I try to ‘full weight bear’, I get sharp pain around the ankle and on top, and a pins and needles sensation on the sole. At this stage, foot is significantly swollen to the point where I can’t wear a thong or sandals without significant pain.

4th March visit doctor, writes referral, prescribes Endone for pain, at my request. I book in to see an Orthopaedic surgeon.  (6 weeks since accident)

Like everyone else, I have a mis-diagnosed cuboid injury, and there is little online about this and possible recovery times. I began reading this thread even though it commenced in 2007.

My story started in Dec 2011, with two severe ankle rolls to my left foot within about 10 days of one another. Again, like a lot of others, I continued to walk on it for several days before seeking medical advice.

A trip to the physio turned into a trip to have some xrays, which upon first viewing showed nothing. After two weeks of complaining that the pain was not subsiding, I asked the physio if the radiologist was one prone to error. The physio revisted the xrays with the radiologist and found a seismoid bone on the outside of my left foot, which may or may not have been two pieces or one. So off for a bone scan and CT scan. Not a lot was made of those results, but after a few days in a cam bootm pain relief was felt, so I spent three weeks in the boot, mainly for pain relief as there was still only a sprain going on.

Did i mention the bruising and swelling all down the outside of my foot?? A horrfic pain under my foot, that I could only ever describe as something like a stirrup.

So physio continued (dry needling, massage, ultra sound, and at home exercises), until May 2012. At this point I was referred to a sports physician. He requested an MRI, and moderate odema of the cuboid was seen. Previously one of the scans had shown "traumatic arthritis" to the cuboid, but no one cared too much about that, except ME!!

Based on the inflammation of the cuboid itself and the joints on either side, the sports physician began a program of steroid injections into the joint. Four or five injections later, the doc tells me that this is as good as its gonna get, and i will merely have to avoid movements that aggravate and cause pain. Apparently bone oedmea can take months and months to heal, so i accepted this outcome. And by this time, end of August 2012, I still have swelling.

At this point, i visit my podiatrist and he suggested a soft insole, because i normally wear hard ones which are not ideal with a cranky cuboid. I gave up physio because the sports physician had told me to live with the pain and swelling. After a couple of months, I returned to the physio, who had wondered where I had gone, because the sports physician had written and recommended I continue the treatment. Pity, he did not tell me that. I usually walk for exercise, and had ceased this with a view to giving this cudoid a really good rest.

In late December 2012, I had returned to walking by this stage, I was feeling good with a couple of months of walkingunder my belt, that I thought it was time to start running again. I was only doing 5-6km runs at a slow pace, but enough to get the heart rate up. Foot is STILL swollen at this point.

By the end of Jan 2013, the foot pain had returned i spades. It was horrific. There was pain under my foot which was diagnosed as plantar fascitis, and treated as such. The physio suggested thati migt have a stress fracture of my navicular, so the GP referred me for a bone scan. What a surprise to hear that I have a stress fracture of my cuboid. So off to the orthopod foot/ankle expert.

He refers me to a second MRI, and the radiologist reading this set of pictures could see a law suit coming I am sure, because this report was two pages long. So not there is not a stress fracture, but excessive oedema of the cuboid (same thing????), evidence of an old fracture (does 14 months classify as old???), and severe tendonopathy with tears in the peroneual longus. This bloke wants to operated to strengthen the tendon, but does not want to talk about the cuboid. When I pressed him, he explained that the surgery would require 6 weeks of non weight bearing and a further 6weeks of limited weight bearing then three months of physio, so with all that rest I would have a rested cuboid and therefore healed cuboid. As well as the tendon repair he wants to do a heal re-alignment so as to limit the nature mild roll out that my foot does (pronate??). A lot of pain, whilst ignoring that cranky cranky cuboid. The specialist did state that the surgery is last resort when everything else has been tried with no success.

The surgery sounded fairly horrific with a long recovery, so i returned to my podiatrist and GP for further discussion. The GP was annoyed that the specialist refuses to use the term stress fracture, even though he could clealry see the "old" fracture. The podiatrist suggested that we are not at last resort yet, because the fracture (old or stress) has never been given an opportuit to heal.

So here I am at week number 6 of 8 in a cam boot and non weight bearing. The biggest shock now is that the swelling has finally gone from my foot and ankle. The time between periods of aching has increased, whilst the periods of aching have decreased. I have been putting a cream containing shark cartliage on twice daily, as well as an anti-inflam cream. I am also taking glucosamine with chondriton. These are all over the counter items from the pharmacy.

I am now busting to get out of this boot, or at least off the crutches beause i am finally starting to feel good, but after all this time, i dont wanna go backwards. Healing will be judged by way of bone scan rather than "feel" etc. Who knows how much physio i will now need to get up and active again, my leg is like a tooth pick. I am still cranky that this has been such a drama with medical errors all along the way, but finally things are looking positive.
I fell from my attic two years ago and damaged my cuboid and guess what two years on im still attending doc going for ultra guided injections for pain next week and if this does not work then i will have it fused so dont tell me about cuboids i would nearly do surgery myself now .
I broke my cuboid bone and the fourth and fifth metatarsal from my horse reading up and falling on me. This happened May 5 2013. I had a splint on for a week and then I got a cast out on after the swelling went down. I took a lot of supplements such as a daily multi-vitamin, magnesium, omega-3 and vitamin D, calcium and vitamin D plus I switched to eating as much protein as possible and took 6 pills of ibprofein daily and constantly wiggled my toes and had my foot elevated as much as possible. My doctor originally said it would be the fastest bone he ever saw heal if I didn't have to get a cast put back on. Well I had x-rays again June 11 and he was pretty amazed that he didn't have to put a cast back on. I have an air cast walker thing on and I'm not supposed to be walking on it but I have to start working with me horse so I have been longing her and walking on it when I'm with her and I feel no pain at all. The only thing is when I take my foot out of the cast and role my ankle my cuboid bone or something around it will pop or move, it doesn't hurt but I'm wondering why it is doing that? Anyway my next appointment is July 2 and then I'll be allowed to start walking on it in the walking boot, I can't wait to start riding again!
I broke my cuboid bone on 12/20 by slipping on wet floor in high heels.  The next day I could not even put weight onto my foot someone had to put me on their back to take me to a doctor.

The first doctor I saw took x-rays and confirmed it was broken.  He sent me for a CAT Scan on 12/24 (merry christmas to me).  He did not read the scan until 12/28 at which point he did not seem confident in his decision whether or not I would need surgery.

I consulted with the insurance to see if I was allowed a second opinion.  I saw a second doctor, highly rated on 1/8 (hard to get an appointment w/these specialists - they work so few days).  On 1/10 I had emergency surgery to repair my SHATTERED cuboid bone, what the doctor referred to as a jigsaw puzzle.  There was 5+ fractures of the bone and it had shortened in size.

The surgery added a metal plate and screws and bone graft to my foot.  They expanded the bone, filled it with bone graft and secured it with the plate/screws.  I did not walk/drive/move basically at all for several weeks (about 6).  After I was put in a boot, still non weight bearing for another 4 weeks.

I believe the beginning of April I was cleared to begin putting weight with the boot and slowly progress myself off the crutches/out of the boot.  It took a long time, a lot of patience and a great physical therapist to help me get to the stage where I walked then with a cane for a few weeks.  I finally walk without a cane/boot/cast/crutch/aid but I still experience severe pain.  Some days are better than worse, but at least one point in every day I have pain.

I received a cortisone shot for the pain/inflammation a month ago which helped for about two weeks and when it wore off the pain was extremely severe again.  Currently, my surgeon says I should have the plate removed as it may be rubbing against a tendon or the tendon that runs along the side of your foot may be growing in the scar tissue from the surgery.  Since there is metal in my foot, an MRI is no good as it won't accurately show.

Does ANYONE have any IDEA what to do?  I am petrified to have another surgery.
It's so helpful to hear your fractured cuboid stories, all so similar. It's somehow reassuring to know that I'm not alone in this as so little info is out there and it's been a frustrating experience so far, with probably more ahead.

On Aug. 15, I was in a hurry, carrying a bunch of assorted things in my arms. I partially stepped on the edge of a curb and my ankle rolled right over it to the pavement 8" below. Needless to say, I went down and all my things went flying. I didn't feel the pain right way and sat on the ground collecting the scattered items. A friend came over and helped me up. I thought I would be fine, but when I tried to take a step I felt terrible pain both on the bottom of my foot and also shooting across the top down to the ends of my toes.

I'm prone to rolling my ankles and had badly twisted and sprained the other foot a couple of years earlier. I didn't go to the doc that time. I just iced it, elevated it, borrowed a crutch and took it easy, and it did heal on it's own over a few weeks. So at first I thought this injury would follow the same course, Especially since there was very little swelling this time and no bruising. I followed the elevation and ice treatment, and the pain was pretty bad. It throbbed, it stabbed, and strangely, seemed to vibrate painfully deep inside.

The next day, caring friends pressured me to go to the doc. I went to a well-known bone & joint practice that has their own walk-in clinic and got an x-ray. The on-call doc who saw me was not a foot specialist. I think he was a shoulder-guy. He told me there was no break, but I had strained ligaments that may take several weeks to heal. He gave me a boot to wear and told me to keep off my foot as much as possible and come back for a check up in a few weeks.

I stayed home from work a few days and tried to wear the boot, but it seemed to put pressure on one particular spot just below my ankle toward the outside of my foot causing further pain. It hurt more to wear the boot than not to wear it. I couldn't deal with it, so I gave up the boot, went back to work and limped around the office for several weeks. After a while, the pain was still there, but had decreased and I thought I was on the mend.  

At 6 weeks after injury I went back for the check-up and new x-ray. This time I saw a real foot specialist. She saw something on one of the bones that looked suspicious and sent me for an MRI. Because the injury happened at work, all this was a workman's comp issue and had to go through their approval system, so it was another 2 weeks before I actually got the insurance company's approval for the MRI, had the MRI, and got another appt. with the same foot specialist to learn the results. I was shocked to find I had a broken cuboid -- and that it was still broken.

The MRI report noted a nondisplaced cuboid fracture and significant marrow edema associated with the fracture. I think the nondisplaced part is a good thing, but even so, healing has not yet taken place.

The doctor told me to wear the boot all the time except to bed and to shower. Ugh! I tried to wear it for a couple of days, but it still caused such pain. Now I understood that the location of the pain was, of course, right over the broken cuboid.

I went back to the doc and found I was not wearing the boot correctly, that my heel was not far enough back so the position of the straps was off and putting pressure right over the cuboid. Once we figured that out and got me fitted properly, I found the boot to be at least not painful, which helps. But it's cumbersome and tiring to wear all day every day. My job requires a lot of walking in a large, spread out building, so I've been trying to still do my job and walk as little as possible... good luck with that!

I also finally got approved this week for the bone stimulator that the doc prescribed, so I've started that every day.

So, now I'm at 9 1/2 weeks since injury, still having pain. Even the light pressure of the covers on my bed is painful so that I position a pillow down by my feet at night to hold the covers up off my foot.

I think when I first was injured, I was in denial... I thought it was a "simple" sprain and would heal on it's own... Now that I know the cuboid is broken, and from reading many of your posts, I'm grimly understanding how difficult and long the healing process is and it's finally sinking in that I must stay off it as much as possible and be good about wearing the boot. Easier said than done. I can't afford to be off work for weeks on end. But then, I can't afford not to do what it takes to get better.

So far there has thankfully been no mention of a cast or possible surgery. Now if I can just be good!

I've fractured my cuboid in my left foot 3-4 weeks ago now and have not had a problem with swelling. My doctor (in Hong Kong) told me to get a bucket/bowl (wide enough for my foot) filled with cold water and a tray of ice cubes, then put my foot in and leave it for at least 10 mins twice a day.

It's uncomfortable to say the least sticking your foot in a bucket of ice-water but it relieves pain and swelling.

Good luck to all you fellow sufferers and here's to getting the boot off!
   I have had my best results thanks to a wonderful vascular surgeon. On August 14, 2015 I was unloading the bobtail truck, I was just inside the truck and had tossed one of the units just inside the warehouse door. As I was turning to reach in the truck for another unit, I seen that it was rolling back towards the end of the dock, I turned to catch it and when I did, I went to step off the end of the truck and onto the dock, but my foot went in between the two with the outer side of my foot full force hit the edge of the dock, with the inner side drug on the end of the truck from ankle to knee and at the same time the outer side of my knee hit the dock and finally stopped when my hip slammed into the dock. I went all the way from toes to hip. I have a very high tolerance to pain, but went I had to pull myself out of the gap between the truck and the dock, Holy Cow Batman!!!! I have never felt pain like that!!! And I have had 2 babies (separate occasions) in the car on the way to deliver and turned and went right back home after the babies seen and released. And I would do that all again compared to this whole foot/leg/hip injury. I have gone to 3 ER's, waist of time, they are stupid and rude and only worried about payment. Gone to numerous physicians, xrays, ultra sounds, ace bandages, walking shoe, etc. They all only saw a symptom and assumed diagnosis, it's crazy all of the different diagnoses that were claimed???? I was finally referred to a vascular surgeon because of the golfball size hematoma sticking out from the side of my knee, my leg three times the size of the other and all of the severe bruising also unable to walk. Well last week I had my second surgery, and I love my surgeon! The first procedure they removed a badly damaged vein from the back of my lower leg, and instantly the swelling was gone. The second procedure involved removing badly damaged veins from between my ankle and knee and put me in a compression knee high stocking, and it is heaven. But I still am unable to walk on my foot and bare weight on my knee. The swelling is all gone but the pain is unbearable. Now my primary physician wants MRI's done on my foot and knee. I told him to get it handled because I am SO done with this, I am going to lose my mind!!! I have been stuck in my room in bed since August 14 and I'm DONE!! So we'll see? I am so greatful for my vascular surgeon, just removing the damaged area of a vein is amazing relief, I can't even come up with the words to express it. Oh, I left out the part that I am so glad I have my own insurance? The employer has been running business for 10 yrs without workers comp and hasn't taken deductions from wages, I was denied disability, he offered no help and never called to check on me. So I had to bust a move because (to this day) I have no income and anyone can guess how my finances are. But not half as bad as the employers are going to be when my lawyer, workers comp and the state get done with him. I'll only get wages owed, and that is fine. Just the feeling from taking him down off of his high horse, is unexplainable. Ask about seeing a vascular surgeon!!!!        
After having severe pain in my foot for months I went to the podiatrist in January. He did injections for pain plus I wore a boot for two months. X-ray showed nothing wrong. I improved some but still suffered. I had an MRI last week. It showed 2 breaks in my Cupoid bone. My podiatrist has scheduled me for a procedure to put a Bone Filler in the cracks. He said this will relieve my pain. An exterior metal stabilizer will be attached for 4 weeks, then removed. I will gradually increase my weight load on the foot.
Taking the Grandkids to Disneyworld in August!!!!!
I had been reading this old thread and was going to post on it but wasn't sure if was still active or not then I saw your post lol.  I fell off of a curb almost 7 weeks ago while on vacation in Branson.  Went to the emergency room right after, xrays, said it was just sprained which my left ankle was sprained but I knew something was way worse with my right foot.  Went to Dr. after I got home and she sent for MRI right away and discovered fractured cuboid bone. Got a boot, crutches and knee scooter and have been non weight bearing ever since.  Go back to the Dr. on May 10th and hopefully xrays will be good and I can start walking on it some since I have a trip scheduled for New York City first week of June. I'm so scared I'm going to be in pain the entire time! :-(
My story is different.
Last week my left cuboid bone started hurting all of a sudden. It hurts so much I have to keep it wrapped. The only thing I can think of is one of the bones from a previous fracture dislodged from its original place.
The previous fracture happened in 1979 when I had a bone spur shaved. It hurt badly anyway, so I didn't notice any difference;I had no idea then that it was broken. In fact, just a few years ago when an xray showed it broken I was told about it. Then I heard it's very hard to shave this particular bone without fracturing it.
Now I limp and can't walk far. It's awful to not be able to.
Anyone ever heard of this?
Week 9 of a cuboid bone stress fracture discovered with an MRI Scan - just been to the doctor and CT Scan shows fracture is as bad as it was 9 weeks ago and edema swelling in area Iv to stay in walking boot for another 6 weeks - After reading this thread I am really scared ...