Orthopedics Community
Fractured Humerus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured Humerus

My wife took a bad fall on her shoulder and fractured her humerus about 2 inches below the shoulder ball joint. The emergency room doctor said it was displaced about 40% and said surgery was NOT indicated.  She was given a sling and sent to an Orthopedist who said the same thing - surgery was not indicated, but that it would heal on its own.

I've seen the x-ray, and frankly am disturbed by how the bone looks all out of place, yet I like the doctors who say that they don't think setting it and pinning it is a good option.

My question is this:   can the bone heal being 40% displaced?  Will my wife regain 100% use of her arm even though the humerus is displaced?  I just don't see how it can heal.

Thanks,
Carl