Orthopedics Community
Fractured cuboid and torn ligaments

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured cuboid and torn ligaments

A week ago I fractured my cuboid bone in my right foot and tore some ligaments.
I am wearing a boot and that is the only way I can walk on the foot.  I was seen by an
Orthopedic Surgeon - x-rays were taken to confirm the fracture.  I am trying to stay off my foot as much as
possible.  If I am on it much at all - swelling and bruising increase.  My foot starts to throb and I know I am
going to have a hard time sleeping at night.  I am a very active person and going crazy not getting my heart rate up.
I have been doing pilates for upper body and some leg work.  Any ideas for cardio?  Other more important question - should I be getting another test - MRI? to make sure there is not some other damage in my foot?  I know this is a long process of healing, just want to make sure I am not missing something that will cause problems later down the road.....
I had an appointment with my orthopedic today to ask more questions, but it got cancelled because he is out sick.
This is going to be a VERY long process. I fractured that bone and the Talus in my left foot and I was in 2 non weight bearing casts for a total of 7 weeks and it took me another 4 weeks post cast to be able to walk without to much pain. The bones in the foot take a long time to heal. I'm surprised your allowed to walk on it at all. I would think that a second MRI would only be necessary if the healing is delayed or your pain increases with time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Conservative treatment should be followed as a strict routine.

Keep yourself in the boot and do not exert or do exercises which will cause inflammation and increase the movements in your fractured leg.

With healing you can go for a fresh MRI to know the progress of healing which your orthopedician will suggest.

After about 8-12 weeks of healing you can start walking and other forms of cardio slowly if your healing is good.

The most important thing for you now is limiting the movement, limiting putting pressure on the right foot and resting the leg for proper healing.

Take care!