Orthopedics Community
Fractured femurs
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fractured femurs

My Mom is 70, has osteopenia and is on Fosamax D. Two years ago, she tripped over someone's foot on the train, fell and fractured her right femur. The surgeon put in a rod and anchored it into her hip and knee with screws. She went to rehab and is basically fine except she still walks with a limp or like a Weeble Wooble.  She is active and can drive, walk, get around.

Last week, she tripped and fell again. Now she fractured her left femur -- almost in the same place as the right leg -- very close to the hip. She had the same surgery although in a different hospital and different surgeon -- rod and two screws.

I'm concerned about rehab this time when she is released from the hospital. Since she has rods in both legs, will the therapists treat her differently. The rehab facility that she went to last time closed and she will have to go to another rehab center.

After fracturing both legs within 2 years, I think she has osteoporosis now. Her bone density tests have gone down recently and her doctor changed her medication 2 weeks ago.

Also, Is osteoporosis hereditary? I'm 40 -- overweight but active (train in karate, lift weights, cardio) but I will get a bone density test myself.

Thanks.
1_Xena