Fractured femurs
My Mom is 70, has osteopenia and is on Fosamax D. Two years ago, she tripped over someone's foot on the train, fell and fractured her right femur. The surgeon put in a rod and anchored it into her hip and knee with screws. She went to rehab and is basically fine except she still walks with a limp or like a Weeble Wooble.  She is active and can drive, walk, get around.

Last week, she tripped and fell again. Now she fractured her left femur -- almost in the same place as the right leg -- very close to the hip. She had the same surgery although in a different hospital and different surgeon -- rod and two screws.

I'm concerned about rehab this time when she is released from the hospital. Since she has rods in both legs, will the therapists treat her differently. The rehab facility that she went to last time closed and she will have to go to another rehab center.

After fracturing both legs within 2 years, I think she has osteoporosis now. Her bone density tests have gone down recently and her doctor changed her medication 2 weeks ago.

Also, Is osteoporosis hereditary? I'm 40 -- overweight but active (train in karate, lift weights, cardio) but I will get a bone density test myself.

Thanks.
1_Xena
On November 17, 2008 I fell and broke my femur. I am 68 years old and have always been an active person. The fracture is about four inches above the knee which has been fitted with an artificial joint in 2003. A plate was instaslled along the outside surface of the femur for support. At six weeks into the healing process X-Rays indicated some bone repair had begus so the doctor advised me that I no longer needed to wear the leg brace and while at home i could walk using one crutch only. This is where I have a problem. Along with the break, both ankle's have severe degenerative arthritis and Sharco. I have been wearing shoes with rocker bottoms to help limit the strain on my feet. When attempting to walk with the one crutch I get the feeling of instability and actually feel the knee is trying to bend outward. I feel I could fall! I now have returned to using the leg brace which helps some. What do you feel is happening? I have not been sent to PT since the six week point!