Orthopedics Community
Fractured growth plate recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured growth plate recovery

Hey im 14 yrs old. yesterday i got my cast off which i had for 3 weeks because of skating. i had a fractured growth plate which could not be seen on x-rays so we talked to my uncle who was an orthopedic and he said it was fractured no matter what. the fracture was just a crack. and so he told me to have it for 3 weeks and so i got it off and at first i was really weak with my foot so i gained strength and its back to normal but the only thing i noticed is i cant run or jump or take heavy impact. i assume this is because my muscles are weak from not being used for 3 weeks so it was just stiff. so the main pain comes from the ahkilis heel tendon just above my heel in the back of my leg right where the top of the heel starts to meet that seems like a strip of muscle connecting the ankle to the lower part of the leg in the back. and its when ever i lean forward and stretching my ankle to where my back leg is slanted to the directing as i lean but my foot stays all the way on the ground. or when i run. so i have been walking on my tredmill a lot lately with it inclined at an angle upward so i can stretch out that tendon and the main question im trying to ask is, if i continue to walk a lot daily on the tredmill, how long will it take for me to heel up so i can run and jump so i can start skating again? because i really want to get back on my board asap. im sorry for my question being so long. thank you and please answer asap.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
No problem with the question, history has been explained properly. This is due to muscle stiffness and you can do normal tradmill and slowly go for inclination. Do not exert yourself from the beginning. Muscle strength will be regained slowly and with regular exercise in 2 weeks time you should be ok. Remember you were stiff for 3 weeks. Take care!
Hey thanks man. I owe you 1. You take care too.
I got hit by a car and had what they called a spiderweb fracture to both the bones that connect my knee.  Think spiderweb.  100's of FRACTURES but no break.

I had to wear a full leg immobilizer for six weeks.  By time it came off my leg was so weak.
And measured smaller then the other.

I agree exercise, but if it doesn't get better try some physical therapy.
I had to go for three months. :/

Take care.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It will take time to gain strength in a leg put in immobilizer. Stiffness and pain will slowly go in 3-6 months time with physiothrapy and exercise. Follow up near a good physiothrapist and with proper methods it will take time but you will gain strength and pain will decrease. Take care!
i just got out of a cast on my ankle for a fracture in my growth plate. My docter said i could start light jogging but when i do i have to do it with a limp and in some pain but not on purpose. My ankle is also very stiff when i wake up or get of the swimming pool. Do you have any excercises i can do and how long it will take to get back to full speed running?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your recovery will happen with proper continous increase of exercise and also with perseverance. Morning stiffness should be treated with mild exercise on the bed and swimming should always be done after warming up. Do Pronation and Supination at your ankle joint and also dorsifexion and plantar flexion slowly with increase in angle and increase in the number of times you do. Never exert yourself and practice this near a Physiotherapist/trainer and continue doing it yourself. These recovery exercises should be part and parcel of your time now like you have food daily. Proper diet, calcium rich food and proteins also will help while healing. Take care!
I found out i had plantar fasciitis. that caused the morning pain and swimming stiffness. But now it seems that my ankle is very stiff. Can you tell me if thats because i had plantar fasciitis or if i need to do something to help it. ice works but not for long.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes it is  one of the reason as it is associated with Plantar fascitis also. Sometimes the pain is intense and continous so follow all the instructions of your orthopaedician. (Fascitis is the inflammation of your fascia in the foot )
Hey sorry to bother you again one last question. What will help to make the stiffness in my ankle go away?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Ankle stiffness is a very difficult thing to go off after immobilization. Massage by doing dorsal flexion and plantar flexion for atleast 20 times every hour at your ankle joint. Do not exert the foot completely only slowly initially and when you gain strength do other kinds of ankle exercises to allay your stiffness. This is a continous process and get motivated to do this and you would be fine if the healing has taken place perfectly and if your pain at the site has decreased. Take care!
i fractured the growth plate in my ankle five weeks ago, playing tennis. i was in a boot for 3 weeks and now i have a brace. i am wondering what the proper steps are to recover as quickly as poosible?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
"Quickly"not a proper term, as you had fracture.
You should start slowly as you will have pain with stiffneess and immobilization intially. You will gain your strength slowly and with the pain decreasing you can increase your physiotherapy to gain maximum strength.
Try doing slowly with plantar flexion(pessing foot to the ground) and dorsiflexion(pressing foot away from the ground)  and then sideways movement and you can put on more weight but always consult your primary surgeon for selecting the best time to do what and when. Take care!
I've been there done that, i'm fourteen and I just got surgery due to a detached growth plate. Except, my story is a little bit different. Due to, me detaching the growth plate in my elbow. I had a screw put in not even a week later. I'm sorry to hear about the inconvience, it really *****. Honestly I didn't really do anything all that special. I was training for kickboxing and I hit the wall. Smart, hey?
i just got out of a full leg and foot cast that i was in for 5 weeks and i got it off and i was wondering yould i stay off of it like mi mom says or is ok to try and walk on it or not and just use my crutches?
I fractured my growth plate on my right ankle about a week ago playing Rugby, a few times I have been forced to not wear my air walker cast wheather it be after taking a shower or just regular discomfort and recently I have been gaining a good amount of confidence of it healing by doing my own slow but productive physio work outs for my ankle, Im just wodering if I'm doing the right thing or not. If I am doing wrong what do you suggest I do? do you have any suggestions on what excersizes I should be doing? also is this a sign that this may show that my ankle is getting better already? please if you can answer ASAP I really wanna get back on the field!!!
I have a growth plate fracture and I'm in a boot for 3 weeks but i still do exercises with a big rubber band. I'm wondering if walking around without my boot will affect m ankle? I am 4 weeks into my fracture.
I got spiderweb fracture in the second, third and fourth metatarcials in both my feet while I was in basic training. That was in 2003 its 2013 now and they hurt the same or worse than before. How do I get the pain to stop, they swell everyday and hurt so bad that I can't walk sometimes.