Fractured or sprained finger
I woke up one night a couple months ago with a painful, swollen knuckle on my left ring finger.  It felt fine when I went to bed that night.  I don't recall injuring it, but my dog's leash did pull tight on that hand that day but it seemed fine.  Two days ago, I went to the doctor because it is not getting better, and had an x-ray.  The doc said it is a sprain.  I could see a little line (looked like a crack to me) on that finger on two of the three x-rays and asked what that was.  The doc said he didn't know, but it wan't a fracture because after two months it would have formed a callus.  He said maybe it was a nutrient channel?  I'm not convinced it's a sprain and am wondering if it could be a stess fracture or something like that?  Is it possible for a fracture to not show signs of healing after two months?  I think it could, because I had an ulnar osteotomy and after 5 months, it was still not healed.  Could it be I have a problem healing a fracture?  Anyhow, I'm supposed to start physical therapy for my finger next week.  I'm wondering if I should ask the doctor to make sure that is not a crack in my bone and just a nutrient channel, or should I just take the doc's word for it, go to p/t and not worry about it.

Thank you for any advice!
Hello!

Get your X-ray commented by a radiologist and if you do not have a fracture, wear a splint for a week or you would need a splint for longer time. Follow up after healing with physiotherapy

Apply ice packs and take NSAIDs intermittently to relieve the pain. If you have a fracture follow up with an orthopedician or you will be fine in couple of weeks.

Take care!