Orthopedics Community
Fractured or sprained finger
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fractured or sprained finger

I woke up one night a couple months ago with a painful, swollen knuckle on my left ring finger.  It felt fine when I went to bed that night.  I don't recall injuring it, but my dog's leash did pull tight on that hand that day but it seemed fine.  Two days ago, I went to the doctor because it is not getting better, and had an x-ray.  The doc said it is a sprain.  I could see a little line (looked like a crack to me) on that finger on two of the three x-rays and asked what that was.  The doc said he didn't know, but it wan't a fracture because after two months it would have formed a callus.  He said maybe it was a nutrient channel?  I'm not convinced it's a sprain and am wondering if it could be a stess fracture or something like that?  Is it possible for a fracture to not show signs of healing after two months?  I think it could, because I had an ulnar osteotomy and after 5 months, it was still not healed.  Could it be I have a problem healing a fracture?  Anyhow, I'm supposed to start physical therapy for my finger next week.  I'm wondering if I should ask the doctor to make sure that is not a crack in my bone and just a nutrient channel, or should I just take the doc's word for it, go to p/t and not worry about it.

Thank you for any advice!