Orthopedics Community
Fractured pelvic bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured pelvic bone

My son in law is living in Germany (be thankful those who live in the US - our health care is the best in the world) and he fractured his pelvic bone.  I have a copy of the X ray and to the untrained eye it looks like a real break.  He was told not to play sports and that is pretty much it.  He is in great.  pain, but the Germans do not belive in pain killers and all he is presently doing is sit on the couch since it is extremely painful to stand up.  When he asked if the doctor should see him again, he was told "if  you want to".

If there is a professional who reads these postings, would someone please tell me if this is a proper treatment for this type of fractur?  I know that if one breaks ones toe, there is not much to do.  Is this the same case?  Thank you.
Fractured my pelvis in several places from high energy impact.  Did not have surgery but received mega doses of pain killers.  X-rays of the pelvis to the person with an untrained eye will look like the pelvis is fractures.  Some of the lines going through the pelvis are there because anatomically they are suppose to be.  However, for nasty breaks usually both lower extremities swell and it is virtually impossible to bend you legs when you are reclined.  It is very painful since there are so many associated nerves with in the pelvic floor. This is what I was told by the trauma Drs.  I do hope he recovers easily.  
Thank you for your comments.  Did you have anything done except  waiting to heal?  No surgeries? Pins?  or other?  Did you have follow up X rays?

Thank you.