Orthopedics Community
Fractured pinky finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fractured pinky finger

My son is 15 and suffered a fracture of the joint of his right pinky in the palm of his hand. The fracture is in the small area that sits to the inside of the bottom knuckle on his pinky. We took him to an orthopedic doctor who xrayed his hand and confirmed the fracture and then put him in a hard cast from his elbow to his wrist with a wrap the rest of the way. This was on for 10 days. He returned today and with my husbands request the doctor did not put the hard cast on but taped the pinky to the ring finger and then put a soft cast from the tip of his fingers to his elbow. My son fractured his hand playing baseball, went on to play in three more games with the fingers wrapped before we were able to get the first appointment. He states that there is no pain but there is bruising and a smal amount of swelling in the area between the two fingers.

Finally, my question....As a parent I am struggling with the DR and the 15 year old. He is unable to swim, unable to play video games, unable to play baseball  and miserable. He has broken both pinkies in sports before and this type of extensive treatment has never been done. AM I WRONG...in going against medical advice and allowing him to use his hand WITHIN REASON? What is the chance that just keeping them taped will have the same end result as the cast that now has his other fingers and wrist stiff? The doctor consulted a hand specialist and told my husband that taping the fingers and a splint would be fine and a cast would not be needed. Is the splint protecting the joint or is keeping the entire are immobile helping to heal it? It is the summer, he is miserable....we are miserable and it is just a pinky......HELP!
I first want to remind you that your orthopedist is the "specialist' when it comes to bone healing.  My next thing would be to ask whether the previous fractures of the pinky's were in the same area.  When you fracture a bone right in the joint area the healing is much different than a fracture in the shaft of the same bone.  When the joint is involved a little more stabilization is needed.  When you simply tape the 4th and 5th fingers together the bottom joint of the finger is still mobile.  I'm assuming that's why the dr. recommended the splint.  

Also consider that the 4th and 5th fingers are the most mobileof the 4 fingers with respect to the palm moving.  For instance when you make a fist the pointer and middle finger bones in the palm stay in about the same place, but the ring and pinky  actually wrap toward the thumb.  A splint will help control this movement, I would recommend a splint that crosses the wrist at the very least.  Just some things to think of... and to top it all off... if it doesn't heal now, it will cause trouble for the rest of his life, what's one boring summer compared to that!!!  Hope this helped...
I understand your frustration.  My daughter is 13 and just fractured her pinky finger playing soccer.  The ER doctor put it in a soft cast all the way up to the elbow and told us no more sports for now.  We went to an orthopedist and he wants to do surgery and put pins in her finger.  Then they will put a hard cast on her arm for 4 to 5 weeks.  He says whether we elect to do the surgery or not, he does not want her to play any sports for 4 to 5 weeks.  Supposedly this is a non-displaced fracture, but the end of the bone is bent down.

It seems strange to us to have such extensive treatment for just a small fracture.  My daughter just made the team that she had been practicing for all summer.  It is very disappointing.
I just broke my right hand pinky in the same place i broke it before and i just made the basketball team they gave me a splint. i didnt think that it would be such a big deal but its worse then i thought it would be. it affects my shot. Iguess its a hairline break/ spiral break so close to the joint. but i dont know if i should have surgery or not. My pinky is bend out more thwen my other pinky it really sux.
I am typing for my 10 year old girl because she fractured her pinky today in her gym class by getting the rebound to her basketball shot! So my husband came to pick her up and take her to the doctor,and they said she fractured her pinky on her right hand. So now she has a splint on her pinky. Her pinky is dis-located to so she has to keep her splint on for two months.Send a comment to my sweet hannah about this message on this website
                  thanks tina
My 12 1/2 year old daughter just was at the Pediatrician for a fractured pinky finger on her right hand. She was playing soccer when the accident happened.  I have to take her to an Orthopedic Dr. now.  She has a splint on it right now.  I have read what everyone else has written about casting it and that.....wow she will be bummed.  She won't know what to do with all her free time if that happens.  You for sure can't play the trumpet either if your in a cast up to your elbow!

Busy Girls Mom
no cast need for a frature at the of the small finger phalanx frature metacarpol frature it would need to be casted. splinting for a finger frature is the best thing but for two months at 4 weeks the splint should be changed out to a functional splint allowing some movment. under protocal for hand therapy that is what would be done unless there is angulation and or distration of the bones then it might require surgery..
Hello everybody who has a fractured pinky{s}. My daughter hannah her pinky is getting a lot worse from earlier today. So she has a spelling test a reading test and a bible test and she cannot right because she rights with her right hand and that is the pinky she hurt.So i am going to ask her teacher if she can type her work on the computer so pray for my hannah
thanks tina
I'm old. I am not a doctor. I broke a finger when I was young. I taped it to the next finger. It healed crooked. Although I am used to it and there is no pain, it affects some things that I really like to do, like playing guitar. Doctors are overly cautious now because of petty lawsuits. (I'm suing you because you didn't take care of my broken pinky and it healed wrong.) If you want it to heal correctly, do what your doctor says. End of sermon.
hi please leave comments about my messages for my fractured pinky thx
             hannah
The ortho is a specialist for a reason. If you choose not to listen to him, you may be handing your daughter problems years down the road. A few weeks of one summer is nothing compared to pain or mobility issues for the rest of her life. My advice to you would be to let the specialist decide what's best for your daughter's broken finger. It will heal soon enough.
My child is 11.5 and never had any injury. Today, a friend felled on my child hand while my child help the hand up. I took my child to the doctor and Xrays, and to my suprise, the doctor said it was broken. Then he wrote fracture on the doctor slip, I didn't understand. So it was explain to mean that fracture means broken in the court of law...Anyway, I  am glad to have read all of the comments and my child will be in splint for three weeks then a follow up.  I guess when in doubt, see a doctor.  Also, there was so many children in the surgery area, I had to ask why, the doctor smiled and said, its summer and this is when we get really busy.
My pinky finger on my left hand will not straighten, when people tell me to straighten my fingers i won't, it just bends slightly... Ive never had it seen to, but everyone asks if i broke it when i was younger but i really don't know. It now annoyes me as everyone points it out, but i don't know what to do about it.

It doesnt hurt, well only at times wen i am asked to straighten it, and it takes effort but otherwise i don't get any pain..
I broke my pinky sliding into 2nd base in a softball game. I fractured my proximal phalanx left small finger on 07/24/08.  The break was so bad, that my finger bend down, and so far over, that it could touch my middle finger with it.  The break is apparently "one of the worst" places to break the finger.  the break required surgery, including the insertion of 2 K-wires .035 (aka-pins).

My recommendation to all of you is to research your hand surgeon before allowing them to perform the procedure.  You think you can trust the hospital to make a recommendation, but you really cannot.  RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH the surgeon(s).  My surgeon inserted the pins into one joint too far and has caused me to go through way to much physical therapy.  It is now 09/23/08 and I still cannot bend my finger or straighten it correctly.  According to my physical therapist, the chances of me EVER being able to do it, are slim.

So, yes. Accidents do happen.  Just be sure that when they do, you research your surgeon and feel comfortable with him or her before allowing them to treat you.

Good luck Everyone!!
worried now. just had 2 k wires taken out of my pinky after just ubder 4 weeks. really swollen and no chance of bending it. not got therapy till end of month.
I recently broke my left pinky in my Aikido class (martial art) and today saw a hand specialist. He gave me two options being have a non-removable type splint/cast put on or just tape the two fingers together which he did for me right then and there as to his recommendation, mainly because of the work I do. He said 4-6 weeks is the usual recovery time for this type of break which was at the base of my pinky.
hey Im lilian my friends calll me lill im 13 in the eighth grade and i may have fractured my pinky but Im not sure. i was playing with my friends in the cafeteria at my school and one friend kicked me in my hand and now the bottom of my pinky where the knuckle bone thing is swollen. i can bend it but the finger can get straight unless i move it and it hurts when i move it up and down. but it gets tense and tight when i make a fist.ok you know how you have lines in fingers, well after the third line my finger gets reallly really thick like thicker than my other pink. I dont wanna go to the hospital and i really dont know what to do. its the hand i write with and we have a bunch of standardized test coming up. plz help if do bad on theses test i cant get into the high school i want to go to.
My Son who is a 15 year old competitive figure skater broke his left pinky right below the 2nd joint when he fell and slid into the boards.  To his horror the ER doctor at Children's hospital put him in a half cast all the way from below his elbow and "buddy casted" the ring finger to the pinky.  Although it is his left hand everything is hard to do and it especially affects his training because of the fear of falling again.  I thought it would be a little splint or something so I am quite shocked at this "cast thing..." At present we call him the "lobster man" as his hand looks like a lobster claw!?  
I am 13 and 1/2. I just went in today for x-rays on my left hand pinky and they think i fractured it. I was tumbling when this incident happened. I just have a splint on it right now with tape wrapping it around my palm so it can't move. I am just taking ibuprofen to ease the pain. I am still going to play sports, actually i am going to be active very soon. Dirt bike riding tomorow, 2 soccer games on saturday and tumbling again next monday and wednesday.
I hope it gets better. Haha

Best wishes to everyone else...
hi i am typing right now with a broken/fractured pinky i am not completely sure what entirely is wrong with it but i have to wear a splint and it has been killin me so my mom is taking me to the doctor it hurts mostly in the middle knuckle section and was hurt by a basketball rebound in p.e right off the goal if u have any info abot what should probably be done plz help
Quick cure for broken pinkey:

6 pack, 2 vicoden and cortison shots and then some shots of petron.  Either that or be a man and have it cut off like Ronnie Lot.  

Tell your kids that Doctor is a doctor for a reason.  And that your kids can perscribe thier own treatmeant when they go through 12 years of school and training or they move out.  Also remind them that life ***** and then you die and at least they arent the ones paying taxes and the doctor bills.  Then put them to work mowing lawns so they can pay for their own bills.  If they say it hurts their poor little hands, then remind them that pain is weakness leaving the body, and if they weren't so weak they wouldn't have got hurt in the first place.

If you are seriously typing homework for your little wuss, then they are probably going to end up on unemployment as an adult.  If some one with a real disability can make it through life and support themselves, then your little wuss should be able to type a few pages.  They do have another hand, until some one catches them stealing, which is what they will have to do to survive, since you raised them to be a wuss.  I bet you don't spank your kid, because "it's a form of abuse."  well somebody should kick you in the groin and give them a lifetime of spankings, so they don't turn out like you, a wuss, the track that they are currently on.

Web based medical advice is about as usefull as some of you people.  it gives you enough information that you know something is wrong, but following advice for treatment of something serious, is a good way to cause youself future problems, just like following the idiots advice that post on this page.

All I can think of is all you idiots cloggin up the government clinics when socialized medicine takes over.  I dread the day when I pay for a smokes emphazima and lung cancer treatments or a drunk's new liver.  But get denied bypass surgery because I am too old, eventhough I did my part and exercised and avoided bad foods and bad chemicals.  Then I'll have to wait behind some idiot who's kid hurt their poor little hand to get the news that the governent is going to let me die.

people are plain stupid, and that is why this site exists!
Hi, im a 13 year old boy and i have injured my right thumb i am going in to the doctor, to check if its fractured, against my will. I have been practicing with this baseball team since the start of January and our first game is coming up on Wednesday. If it is fractured will i be out long? because it is in the lower part of my thumb probably on the joint, im assuming i will be out awhile if it is broken. It swelled the first day two times as big as it normaly is. it was purple from the top of my knuckle to mid-way into my palm. I am severly concenered about not playing sports because my parents have paid over $1,000 for me to play for this team. I have also put in my time all winter to play this summer. I am a big input to my team also so i would really like to play and not let the team suffer. So my question is how long would it take for me to be able to play sports if it is fractured?
Last fall I  wrecked my bike. I fell off the ramp into the road after I went inside and got all the bleeding to stop I notice a sharp pain in my pinky finger. My mom blew it off and told me I'd be fine. It was curved and wouldn't straighten. When I went to the doctor for my well child check up I mentioned it. Ha took x rays and told me it wasn't broken. He said to go home an sqeeze a tennis ball. After 2 months of that with no results I stopped. My pinky is still curved and hurts. When I write twxt type or play ball it makes it worse. What should I do? The google searches told me to break it again and get it taken care of but I want to know if there is any other way to fix it. Please help.
I broke my pinkie years ago. Taping the pinkie to the ring finger is a joke. Total bull crap. The pinkie is shorter and the two fingers simply do not bend along the same axes. Taping among the index or middle or ring fingers on the other hand makes sense, but the pinkie is a horse of a different color.

You should put in a cast and take 8 weeks off. If you do not want to do that and you just want to keep using it, get cortisone shots in the pinkie to silence the pain for a couple of months or so until it heals. Use it lightly during that time.
I broke my pinky and now they say it's a cyst on it. What should I do?
Just broke my right pinky the other night during an assult (me being assult broke while defending myself) The doc said my finger must have bent right back (half ways up on 2nd bend) I now have a splint with my finger & ring finer taped together pointing outwards not straight! I have to keep this like that for 2 weeks then return for another xray, if it is not set then i will have to have a pin inserted! I work in Security in nightclubs i have seen my work mates who have had broken finger who did NOT keep the splint on now their fingers do not bend! Anyone who has a broken finger KEEP THE SPLINT ON!
What is a pinky doesn't heal???  I broke mine playing beachball in a pool end of July - orthopedic specialist says it's "healed" now and sent me to therapy, but I am (1 month 1 week later) still in excrutiating pain.  The orthopedic specialist has already dismissed me so now it's in the hands of the therapist.  I do not seem to be making any progress and fear it's going to be painful and stiff forever.  Any suggestions?
GO TO TWO DOCTORS. I broke my pinky 2 yrs ago and just straightened it out. Then I went to see a hand specialist and he said the cure was worse then the fix. I wish I got a second opionion as it hurts all the time as I hit the keyboard keys. It broke / dislocated near the end joint. I'm now considering a second opinion and even if they have to break it to fix it I might be in less pain. I'm thinking about the rest of my life and having to learn how to type without a pinky is hard. We use those pink's for a lot of stuff!
For those of you with pinky fractures, be sure and also read this thread:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/Broken-Pinky-Finger----Post-Surgery-Stiffness/show/510761

For those of you considering prolonged splinting as a proper means to 'fix' a pinky, please read the thread above, and draw your own conclusions. VERY IMPORTANT INFO on that other thread - and I'd hate to see what happened to me happen to others----
Per breaking my right pinky finger last Saturday.  
Here is my experience, .. and yet "too be" wisdom! (haha) Upon falling while walking a neighbors dog, I took an unexpected tumble for which I went from left arm to right arm, sending my hand sailing.  When I got up, the pinky finger was bent in towards the other finger next to it.

I soaked my hand in cold water and ice, to reduce the swelling,.. and then "Buddy wrapped" my two fingers until I got to the urgent care office.

Upon x-ray, the doc said "Yup!,..it's brokeI", sending me home in a small silver splint and two pieces of tape wrapped around my two fingers, with no true explanation concerning the broken finger, other than to follow up with an orthopedic hand specialist.

I went to see the specialist on Wednesday, to be informed that i had an "abnormal" break.  Upon a second x-ray, I was told that I would either have to do a "Finger reduction" or have hand surgery.
  Upon first consultation, I was left with three different stories as to what would be done to my hand, to include that a reduction was basically "re-breaking" the finger into place. (I could not bear the thought of having my finger RE-BROKEN!!)
  Also, I was not comfortable withe fact that the doctor and tech wanted to numb my hand, re-break the finger, take an x-ray to see if I needed surgery and put a cast on my hand all in a period of 45 minutes before I had to be at a committed appointment!
  As it  was, I was alone with nobody to drive me home!  Would you drive home alone with your hand completely numb and in a complete cast? .. I think not!  It was enough having hit my pinky numerous times before I had the temporary splint!

This morning, I returned to the Orthopedic specialist to be told that a "Reduction" is basically a procedure where the pinky finger is bent down almost half way down to the hand so the bone can become realigned.

I was injected three times with a mixture of Lidocaine, and then my two fingers were put into position, and then a cast was put on, and another x-ray was taken.
  Unfortunately, the doctor was not satisfied with the first cast, so the tech had to saw it off, and reposition the fingers, and then another cast was put on, and then another x-ray was done to see if the positioning for alignment was right.
  I was told though, that after the three to four week period, ..that if the finger was still not in the right position, ..I would have to go through hand surgery to correct the alignment for proper healing and not encounter lifelong pain.

For what it is worth, .. I was told I would be without use of my hand for six weeks after either procedure.
  If there is still time for you to do the "Reduction" now without surgery,..do it,..as you will be in less pain!

The cast is a pain in the butt, and cumbersome, as I am enduring "What is" without pain medication! .. but so far, ..I am just hopeful that I will not need hand surgery.
  The more time you put the procedure off, it will be more painful, and time constraining upon your personal life.  
  Just make sure you GET ALL THE FACTS ABOUT WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE TO YOUR HAND BEFORE ANYONE TOUCHES IT!

I am glad that I waited, upon putting my appointment on Wednesday off, .. as I ended up having a firm conversation with the Manager of the orthopedic division, about what happened to me.  He was mortified, if not embarrassed about what happened, as he had not been told about what happened in the "Cast room".  The manager could barely look me in the face, yet he was gracious and escorted me to the doctor that he had personally assigned to me today, handing me his card, .. requesting that I contact him, upon following up with the outcome of my procedure.

RECOMMENDATION:  DON'T EVER GO INTO AN ORTHOPEDIC DEPARTMENT OF A HOSPITAL IN THE AFTERNOON!
  TO ME, THE EXPERIENCE WAS LIKE BEING IN A MEAT MARKET!
MORE TO THE POINT OF.. "WE STAB EM, .. AND WE SLAB EM!"

ALSO, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT IN THE MIX OF HAVING A STUDENT AND A RESIDENT DOCTOR SEEING YOU IN A HUMUNGOUS CAST ROOM, WITH A BUNCH OF NUMB TECHS FLOATING ABOUT.
  YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE QUALITY CARE THIS WAY,.. AND YOU DON'T DESERVE ALL THE NOISE AND STRESS WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY IN PAIN AND UNDER DURESS!  

Having a broken finger is not the end of the world, as there are so many things that could be worse,..  for which other bodily organs have "surrendered" to life and larger bones have bitten the dust in some way, .. through our recreation or the unexpected .. But!!!

You are very right,.. in that you do do alot with that pinky finger! ..
As it is, I am sitting here hen pecking with one hand!
  I thank God that I broke the finger on my right hand and not my left hand, .. as I am left handed!  

Take good care of yourself, .. as you don't deserve to live with any sort of pain!
what position is your pinky in right now? Where was your fracture location? Is your DIP joint able to bend?

I'm very worried about you being in a cast for 6 weeks. Please read the thread I referenced two posts early.

Early range of motion is critical for pinky fractures. I was splinted after a closed reduction for 5 weeks and lost complete use of my pinky, and needed 2 surgeries to try and correct the problem. Based on my experience, and extensive research In most cases, YOU CANNOT KEEP A PINKY IMMOBILIZED FOR 6 WEEKS AND HOPE TO NOT HAVE SCAR TISSUE. Especially if DIP is also immobilized.

Please read that thread before its too late for you, and see a hand surgeon, not an orthopedic for another opinion. Orthopedics generally know nothing about the hand. As someone who has lost all use of his pinky, I can tell you I wish I had received this advice earlier.
I fracture under the nail in my pinky finger at the er they put me a splint and told me to go to an orthpedic
so I can get a cast and know I don't know what to do can I get some advice
when I was 12, I broke my left pinky back in 1975.  It was almost the worse pain I have ever felt.  My mom didn't make a big deal out of it back then...and placed a soft splint on it.  It grew completely crooked and weird looking.  I am 48 now :)  My sweet little boy who is 6 (I know...I am an old mama) :)  He just broke the same L pinky last week...they want to do surgery!  Isn't that over the top? I  am just venting :)  
No one can tell you what to do , trust your heart, as you were doing until now.  My L hand is permanently more to the thumbside, after the dr that realign the hand pushed it in anger off again their I insisted on a fastner for the loose end of the crepebandage that had to held the loose backslap in place, while I had to make my way back home with  small child, using busses, trains and taxis...... The Niagara masage unit, used in adjustomatic beds, exercices, and relentless use of the hand has brought it to the stage where it isn't normal funstioning but at least painless, and I can do most things to a degree.  the medical professionals along the way discreetly refused to offer advice.....  Good luck and keep faith.
Daisy,
  First of all, concerning your little boy's finger circumstances, upon the doctor stating that he needs surgery..??
  Have you seen the x-rays of your son's hand, and have they exactly explained why there is "definite need" for surgery?

I too was told that I needed surgery, but I was also given the option of a "reduction" which is a lot less complicated, as the hand is numbed (with a nerve block) and then the finger is realigned and put into a cast for 4 to 5 weeks.

I can't see the logic of putting a little boy through surgery at such a young age unless he truly tore some ligaments and there is obvious nerve damage.
If this is the case, in aspect to the fact that the present issue at hand is presenting concern for long term side affects, then so be it!

BUT!! it has now been 8 months since I broke my right pinky finger and despite enduring the process of a "reduction", the finger is aligned, but I am not able to "expand" the finger in full capacity like I am able to on my left hand.
I also am not able to use my whole right hand the same way I am able to with my left hand.
Thank god I am left handed, or else I would be screwed!

It seems, when you get in the presence of an Orthopedic surgeon, they LOVE ANY OPPORTUNITY TO GO UNDER THE KNIFE!
Their first inclination and postulation is to state that you need surgery to properly align the "limb in question."

You've got to get that this is how doctors get paid. Surgery is part of "their lifestyle." They think they can trump you emotionally.

The public doesn't even REALIZE that DOCTORS GET PAID TO DO REFERRALS, AS THEY ALSO GET PAID TO COUNSEL A PATIENT REGARDING THE NEED FOR MEDICATION!

Your little boy is your little boy.  He more than likely has teeth still growing in (..??) His body is still going to grow. Once his finger is put back into alignment, the bone will "re-fuse" itself. The bones chemistry will reconnect itself, .. and life will go on!

I would try and keep the situation as simple as possible for both you and your son, for not only the time that will be invested physically and emotionally, but the cost as well.

In my opinion, Surgery warrants no promises. I had back surgery back in 2004, and I am now having horrible repercussions 7 years later.
Although I NEEDED surgery for the problem at hand,(a blown disc) the surgeon did more than I was told that would be done.
I found out 6 months later, from my primary care doc, that the surgeon had done what's called a framenectomy.(A whole was drilled through my spine to alleviate nerve pressure.
For the past two years now, I have not been able to lift my left leg, and I have to go in for constant chiropractic adjustments, as my pelvic bone structure twists, which is causing my spine to rotate, which causes posture problems, along with physical pain, which in part causes over exertion to my body.

Any time a limb is put into even temporary confinement, the rest of the body WILL COMPENSATE for the pain and the extra effort that it takes to do anything.    

Little boys are resilient, so try to opt for a reduction or what ever it takes to realign the finger before you agree to surgery.

Last Friday i fractured my right pinky finger playing basketball. I first went to my regular doctor to get x-rays, the x-rays showed that i have a displaced fracture to my joint along with a bone fragment and torn ligaments.(the ligaments pulled off a chunk of the bone off my joint) He then sent me to an orthopedic surgen who put me in a short cast. He believes I can recover shortly without surgery because the cast will allow the ligaments to pull the bone fragment back into place. Does this even seem possible? Will the bonefragment re-attatch itself once returning to its original place?
Please review this post carefully and decide for yourself. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Orthopedics/Broken-Pinky-Finger----Post-Surgery-Stiffness/show/510761?personal_page_id=881027

In my experience I have not seen an abundance of positive outcomes from casting.
My question is, will i probably need surgery? I just dont see how this cast will pull this bone fragment back into place.
Hi unfortunate pinky fractures,

I'm 43 and broke my left pinky finger at the knuckle and the mid-joint which required 2 pins to stabilize the finger.  Hurts like hell!!  They put me in a soft cast until surgery for 6 days.  After surgery, I was in a hard cast type splint with wrap and that sucked because the swelling spread to my good fingers and wrist.  Three days after surgery, they removed the cast and took x-rays to make sure it was correct.  They then gave me a removable splint until it fully heals.  They want me to start physical therapy 5 days from now.  The point of all this is that the pinky is the 2nd most important digit on the hand.  Without it, your grip losses approxiately 35% of its strength.  Don't let the kids play sports until it is healed fully.
My 13 year old son fractured his left hand pinky, he's right handed, above the growth plate that is just above the hand itself.  The Doctor is sending him to a hand specailist pediactiric ortho tomorrow.  It's really small but because of the proximity to the growth plate the Doctor said "it's protocol when the break is close to the growth plate."  Do you think he will need a cast all the way to below the elbow, because it's so close to the hand, or do you think it could be splinted.  He did it sliding into 2nd base.  We iced and taped it at the knuckles and buddy taped it and he came in and pitched relief for the next two innings.  He has a tourney this weekend (I know he will not make), another in 3 weeks, one in 4 weeks, and another the week after that.  I know you can't see the x-rays but if you had to make a guess given the information I've provided, can you answer the cast/splint question and if he doesn't need surgery do you think he makes any of those tournaments?  Thank you very much, Mike
How long did he have the cast on?  My son just fractured his pinky sliding into 2nd base.  It's also below the second knuckle.  It's just above the growth plate, so he's going to see a specailist tomorrow accourding to protocol, says the Doctor.  
My daughter right pinky was dislocated in a bazketball game about one week ago it look like the shape of a boomerang. A high school head football coach popped it back in and she iced it then taped her ring n pinky together. We went to dr on following monday had xray sone and she fractured it. Dr put her in a splint said no sports for 2-3 weeks UGH! She goes to an orthopedic Thursday as recommended by her pedestrian. The swelling has gone down but she she can only bend her pinky halfway. We r still wearing a splint on the finger. My daughter who is wondering now can if i wear my splint and tape it good can i play basketball still? Are ther hamd braces for pinkys? Feedback please this 14yris old lives for basketball and just got recruited by one of oklahomas #1 recruited basketball academy's for college in future and has been playing exceptional well! Now here we r at seems like a stand still UGH! Any suggestions just 3 days til basketball tourney!!!! Prayers would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! TO US IS THE BEST REMEDY!
Was it dislocated or fractured?  Did the Doctor let you look at the x-rays?
Broken pinky between knuckel and first joint. Casted with pins for 6 weeks. Got cast off today therapy starts in two days. Very stiff pinky and ring finger was casted with it so its very stiff to.  Will update.
I have the same thing going on right now. I can't afford to see a doctor.