Orthopedics Community
Frozen Fractured Thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Frozen Fractured Thumb

Hi - I had a compound fracture at the tip of my right thumb and had a hand surgeon place the tip back on the thumb using pins.  The pins were in for 5 1/2, removed but I needed to keep a splint on the thumb while the bone continued to heal.  Now I can't bend my thumb at the knuckle. I'm going to physical therapy now but my question is will I ever be able to actually bend my thumb again?  I'm already missing fingers on this hand and I really need my thumb.

Thanks for your help!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

This is due to stiffness and because of using the splint. You need to exercise and do continuous physiotherapy and all previous movements will be regained over a period of time. You will see lot of change in 2 weeks of starting the physiotherapy.

Take care!