Orthopedics Community
Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Full Thickness Rotator Cuff Tear

I am a 56 year old male Insulin dependent diabetic. I have been diagnosed several years ago with a full thickness tear of both shoulders.
I am usually a patient of the VA and due to a number of delays by them in setting up pre-operative testing and assignment of a surgeon it was delayed to the point of I did NOT have the surgery on either shoulder. After awhile the pain went away. Until the last 3-4 months I was asymptomatic. Lately my left shoulder has been in daily excruciating pain. I am a long term user of Lortab and Methadone for neuropathy, so I am very careful on how much of any pain medications I use.
I have been told to try Nsaids (Ibuprofen) for anti-immflamatory use and pain reduction. Unfortunately in February I had an Eye Stroke that put me permenantly on Aggranox (Which states Ibuprofen is contraindicated) etc. I take the Aggranox twice a day as directed.
I had originally resigned myself for non-surgical intervention, but don't know if this is even possible. I was diagnosed with the tear via MRI's to both shoulders.
I have a multitude of age onset problems of which one neuropathic pain, also arthroscopic surgery in June for a very large meniscal tear to my right knee. I also was diagnosed with (I can't recall either a right or Left bundle branch block)
I also take quite a few medications for PTSD and related stress and depression issues.
My sugar is in pretty good control with an average A1C of about 6.8.

Is there anything I can do short of surgery? If not is there a minimally invasive procedure for this?
My knee surgery did not go well, in that I got violently ill after several days, upon which I had actually returned to work immediately for several day and was hospitalized.

Sorry for being so long winded, just trying to get some honest information. I have problems with the VA as they're so innundated with patients that they simply cannot spend a lot of time going over issues.

Many thanks in advance!