Orthopedics Community
Fx of Distal Fibula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Fx of Distal Fibula

Four weeks ago, I broke my ankle, not a clean break, but not a hairline either...a fx of the distal fibula.   No surgery recommended.   I went to the doctor today, and he had told me he would give me a removeable cast today, but did not do so.   Indicated that the fx was in line, but had been a chance of it popping out of place, and though it was healing, there wasn't as much healing as he'd like, probably due to age...age 47.   However, he said I can slowly experiment with light weight through the cast, and wriggle my ankel as much as i like, working my way up to full weight.   another apptmt in 3 weeks.

q:   does it make sense to go weightbearing without an air cast?   what's the difference between weightbearing with an aircast and without?   i am not 2 and do know how to follow doctor's instructions, after all.  

q2.   what can i do about this swelling.   i know, elevate.   but they say the swelling can last a long time and it's dangerous...what can i do to shorten the overall life of this need to prop my leg cycle?
Well, the saga continues.   I got my cam boot, and it was explained that my ankle break is questionably unstable...iffy...could worsen, but if it stays stable will not require surgery.   And there had not been that much regrowth.  

I got the cam boot, however, and it feels much better.   The cast was loose, not so much around the ankle, but at night when the swelling went down, really loose, and also during the day.   It feels great to have a tight fit and I'm walking around on it with one crutch at a reasonable strolling rate, with just a faint twinge in the ankle joint!

But, the atrophy's frightening.  I was a good girl and put no weight on it...elevated...kept in a wheel chair with the leg up, slept with it really elevated high and then lowering to level throughout the night.   But, after one month this atrophy looks like the worst picture I could find on the internet.  

Going to a PCP who can hopefully just look at it and say, "Okay, it's just non-use" or it's non-use and something else like early compartment syndrome under the cast that went undetected.   Anybody think it sounds just like normal old atrophy, but going to the PCP's not a bad idea?