Orthopedics Community
Ganglion Cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ganglion Cysts

I had a painful ganglion cyst on my wrist aspirated about a month and half ago.  The dr said it wasn't very big, but due to the pain it cause went ahead with the aspiration.  Within 2 weeks of the aspiration, it reappeared.  The pain is managable but distressing.  However, I cannot bear weight on the wrist due to the pain.  It's on my right wrist and due to being right handed it has begun interferring with everyday tasks.  I've been delaying going back to the dr due to not wanted to get it aspirated only to return again in a couple weeks.  What is the best course of action for these cysts? I know that regardless of what is done there is a chance it will reoccur.  Is inquiring with the dr regarding surgery something I should do.
i would go ahead and ask about surgery. i have had a cyst on my left wrist for the past 6 years or so, and the pain comes and goes. usually my hand is just numb- but i have experienced pain in the area (can't lean on or lift heavy things) and you're right- it definitely interferes with daily life.

You should consider surical removal of the cyst (ganglionectomy). Recurrence rates for ganglionic cysts after nonoperative ganglion treatment are higher (30-60%) than those after surgical treatment (5-15%).

Total ganglionectomy results in good (85-95%) cure rates if the cyst and its stalk are removed along with a cuff of ligamentous or joint capsule attachments.