Orthopedics Community
Ganglion cyst on toddler's toe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ganglion cyst on toddler's toe?

Our 4-year-old son has had a lump, about 1 cm in size that developed on his right big toe, at the top of the joint just behind the nail.  We can't be sure if it developed quickly or grew slowly so as to not be obvious; one day we just noticed it.  It seems to have grown a little bit in the month since it was first identified.  The bump is beneath the skin and somewhat firm, but causes him no pain.  Pediatrician had an x-ray done which showed no bone involvement (but he could not provide a diagnosis, just suggested wait and see but didn't express much concern).  We then saw a podiatrist who diagnosed it as a ganglion cyst on the basis of visual alone.  He seemed very confident and had indicated these were not uncommon, including in children.  Internet searches for ganglion cyst in the toes of children does not bring up much of anything.  Internet searches for lumps on children's toes brings up a whole host of much more sinister concerns.  

Podiatrist suggested wait and see (it could even resolve itself), and said that surgical removal could be performed if it became bothersome.  He was confident with the diagnosis and has not ordered any additional tests.

Should we feel comfortable with this diagnosis, or is a third opinion in order?  I realize that a diagnosis over the internet is impossible, and I'm not looking for one, just looking for some guidance about what point I can trust the diagnosis we've been given.  My wife and I tend to be a bit neurotic about our family's health, but certainly there comes a point where we just have to trust our medical professionals.

Thanks.

Well, it's good that your Pediatrician did xrays.  If you want to get a third opinion, it wouldn't hurt!  Try seeing a Pediatric Orthopedic surgeon or at least an orthopedic surgeon who will see small children.  Best of luck!
My 2 year old daughter has the same thing on her big toe. We had the xrays performed and were told to wait and see what happens. It has now been almost 6 months and it has grown a little more. We are scheduled to see the pediatric orthopedic doctor this week. I will let you know what we find out and maybe that will help you also.