Orthopedics Community
Ganglion cyst on wrist - pros and cons of surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello everybody!

I have been diagnosed recently with a ganglion cyst on my right wrist. I am scheduled for surgery in about a month from now. However I am still debating whether or not to go through with it.

The pain I have been experiencing has reduced dramatically to the point where I can barely feel anything wrong (even without taking NSAIDs). Also, I am a professional musician, and I am concerned about the outcome of the surgery (stiffness, pain, etc.). I have had this cyst for three months now.

For those of you who underwent surgery, how was your experience? How long did the pain linger for? How fast did you recover? Should I wait a little longer to see if the cyst goes away?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated!

Edouard
I can tell you from my experience with ganglion cyst. I had one on my left wrist for several years. It didn't bother me either for the longest time, till I started feeling weak in that wrist.
I had it removed and the pain wasn't really that bad at all. I would say a few days but nothing that kept me up at night. I was  one week in a half cast, then I spent 3 weeks in a regular short arm cast, after they took it off I wore a brace during activities.
After that I was great still am today, atleast on the left wrist.
Hope I helped a little.
Take care
I had a ganglion removed from the top of my wrist approx.15 yrs.ago & had absolutely no trouble & little to no pain for a few days afterwards.I have no regrets having it removed-even though it didn't hurt all the time when it did...it DID!- I hope this helps to put you at ease.Good luck to you!
Avatar n tn
Thank you both for your answers!