Orthopedics Community
Gastroc tendon tear? in Knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Gastroc tendon tear? in Knee

I skied 9 days in a row ending 2 weeks ago with a decent amount of uphill hiking, and at the end of the last day felt something "tear" or "pop" in the medial posterior part of knee.  I have since also experienced pain in the lateral posterior of knee as well.  My ortho thinks I strained my lateral and medial gastroc.  However, it hasn't improved since the initial injury and I got an MRI that showed nothing obvious.  My concern is that I cannot contract my calf at all with my leg in a 90 degree position as I can with the injured side -> 0 noticeable strength with a bent knee.  I have some strength in extension but not as much.   I can walk alright, but it just feels wierd.  Is the lack of contraction a normal finding or should I be concerned?  I only ask bbecause its been 2 or so weeks following my orthos advice and it seems to be the same or maybe slightly worse.  The pain is more in the knee region rather than in the muscle itself.  Thanks.  I'm super paranoid because I am just getting over a 5 month thumb injury and don't want to do anything that might prolong this recovery or make it a chronic problem.