Orthopedics Community
Girdlestone hip procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Girdlestone hip procedure

My mom is 47 years old. She was born with Congenital Hip Dislocation, and has been on crutches all her life. She was born with both her hips out of place (dislocated). The doctors all said that her case was one of the worst they had ever seen, which meant that they would not even attempt to do surgery. When she was nineteen, she finally found a doctor, that would do the surgery. The doctor had to turn part of her hips around, and put them in place. She almost died, of to much blood being lost. But thankfully she made it. The surgery helped the pain in her hips, but she still has to walk on crutches. Now she is 47 years old, and is facing another surgery. Her doctor said that she has developed avascular necrosis, which is causing bone death and loss. But this is worse with her because her bones were so little to begin with. The surgery is also very risky. Her doctor might need to do a complete hip replacement, or he said that he could do a girdlestone. My question is has anyone ever had a girdlestone procedure done, and was the outcome good. Also feel free to make any suggestions regarding her condition.
So sorry to hear about your mom. I am looking at having the same procedure.  I have found one other person who has had the surgery. He is 35+ and is able to walk with out his hip.  He is doing well and has encouraged me to do the same procedure to help with my issues. Good luck to you all.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Girdlestone hip procedure is also called resection arthroplasty of the hip.

It involves removing part of the ball or head of the femur or thigh bone, thereby allowing it to fuse with the socket of the hip bone in the straight leg position. She will be left with a stiff,  a pain free hip, and a straight leg which will not bend at the hip joint.

Complete hip replacement is a better option the surgeon will choose if he can.

All the best for your mom!

Take care!
Girdlestone does not involve fusion of the bones. That is a fused hip. Girdlestone removes the head and a capsule of scar tissue is allowed to form while patient is  in traction. The patient can weight bear after 8 weks and can walk with a stick after 2 months. I had this procedure done 11 years ago.
my 61 yo husband is being faced with this procedure b/c of a terrible hip fracture and destruction of the femoral ball as well as advanced bone metastasis in the pelvis. He is on crutches now. We are very scared of the finality of this surgery. Can you offer any encouragement? Thank you!

I had to have a gurdeldstone 2yrs ago and use 3/4 crutches. It's very frustrating but I'm able to do quite a but. I would like to get my hip back in but don't want to go through it all and get infections again. Has any one had it put back in and had a success? Would like to hear from you.  Thank you
I had MRSA in the femur of my hip...the doctor did the girdlestone.   What he did not tell me is that he will problaby not ever put in a total hip replacement..    Because I do not have pain.   Pain is the ONLY reason to do a hip replacement.    To be able to walk normally or restore function are not reasons for hip replacement.  
I have one leg shorter than the other...however I can walk on it with a walker by only putting approx. 40 # of weight on it when I walk.   And I cannot go far before it it tires out.  About 180 feet.   And it does not feel right when I step on it.   I am afraid it will poke through the scare tissue, muscle, my faschia and out my skin if I do.      
I would like to know if anyone has had a girdlestone repaired.
my 24yr old son just went to a consultation to have the girdlestone procedure on his left hip. He has been a quadriplegic for almost 4yrs. The doctor said his hip is dislocated and plans to remove the ball and part of his hip bone. My son injury is a c- 5 complete ( which means per doctors he will not walk again) BUT We have hope and faith that All things are possible. When he is in the bed or sitting in his chair his legs sway over to the right. The reason for the surgery is to allow him to sit straight, less pain and discomfort and make it easier for hygiene. My question is have any quads had this surgery, did it make things better for you. how long was your recovery?
Hi Lisa! Welcome to MedHelp,I am the new Orthopedic Community Leader for this website. I feel for you and your son. I (Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant) have helped perform the Girdlestone Procedure (also known as a Resection Arthroplasty). I, however, have never seen it performed on a quadriplegic patient. In the cases I assisted on entailed only removing a portion of the femoral head therefore allowing  it to fuse with the Acetabulum (hip socket). I can try some addition research (which I'm sure you've exhausted) if you wish. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Best wishes! JD1963
I'm wondering about how long most people take recovering from this procedure. Is it longer for  overweight people? How much rehab is required? Thank you