Orthopedics Community
Glenoid Labrum Tear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Glenoid Labrum Tear

I had an injury to my right shoulder. I was injured while using my storage the space where I have my items stored the door unit came down on my shoulder when I tried to make sure the lights came back on in the hallway of the unit the lights are on a sensor and they would automatically turn off while I was there in the unit. The storage unit door is made similar to that of a garage door. Well, after this accident happen I felt okay but, later I started having sharp shooting pains similar to sciatic pain in my right hip. It then became unbearable to sleep left my arm etc. I went to the ER for the problem and x-ray was taken of the arm and refereed to OT. I have been going to OT for conservative treatment for about a period of 2 months.

I recently had an MRI and it stated the following: Radiology Impression: 1. No full thickness rotator cuff tear. 2. Degenerative changes most pronounced in the glenoid. 3. Significant labral tear posteriorly and superiorly likely degenerative.

What specially does this all mean? Because there are different tears.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The glenoid, or socket joint of the shoulder, is surrounded by a cartilage supporting structure called the labrum. Injuries to the tissue surrounding the shoulder socket can be caused by acute trauma or repetitive shoulder motions.
The reason in your case is a direct blow to the shoulder.

A SLAP lesion (superior labrum, anterior [front] to posterior [back]) is a tear of the rim above the middle of the socket that may also involve the biceps tendon.

Anti-inflammatory medication and rest to relieve symptoms are the things you should try first.

You should visit an Orthopedician where Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles also may be recommended. If these conservative measures are insufficient, your physician may recommend arthroscopic surgery.

Take care!
I have followed this protocol for treatment and the orthopediac doctor has order an ultra sound. What is the purpose for the ultra sound. There are four different types of SLAP lesion. Can degeneration make the injury worser?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!
After the MRI there is lesser reason for an ultrasound, but if your Orthopedician thinks that he missed something he has ordered for an Ultrasound. Initially rest and anti inflammatory drugs will help.  It is always good to go for strengthening of muscles and your Rotator cuff by Physical therapy to cure this and keep surgery as the last option.
Take care and follow up near your Orthopedician.