Got my cast wet-Oops
     I broke my fibula at the ankle a week ago, and I have a simple question regarding my fiberglass cast.  I inadvertantly got water in it yesterday, guess the plastic bag had an opening somewhere and the water went down the back of my calf and collected at the heel.  It is still wet today.  Anything I should do?  Will it dry out on its own?  I apologise as this is so trivial compared to what many of you here are going through just can't find any answers on my clinic site.  Thanks!  MV
you might want to change the cast. because by the time it comes off you will have fungus on your foot. its not serious or anything just really really nasty. all casts smell VERY bad when they come off, but the ones that were wet... forget it-as many casts as i have seen, never got used to the smell.  =/
Thanks Broke,
     Been a busy week as I went back to work this week and learning to manage the get ready and get there bit has been a challenge.  The cast did dry but I see that fungus could be an issue.  I see the Ortho on Monday and will let him know of the incident, chances are he may have ordered a new one anyway as this one is really starting to feel like an oversized sock.  That's great since it means there was swelling that went down but not sure it is providing the support it should.  MV
I think and strongly feel you need to visit your surgeon again and ask him to put a new cast on it. As water logging would make the matter worse in terms of healing of wound and infection.
The chances of getting an infection would be higher and also due to which directly or indirectly the healing will be delayed and hence there would be repeated cycles of infection and delayed healing.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
The exact same thing happened to me. I broke my Fibula a week ago and when I showered I guess the garbage bag didn't hold. It wont dry, I have even tried my hair dryer. I am turning into a raisin and plus its cold.
I think a new cast would be best.....unsure.
i've had 8 cast in the past two years and what doctors dont want to tell you is cast are water resistant but not water proof, which means that you can get water in and on them but not fullly submerging it underwater. The cast will dry and feel damp but it will also clean off your skin. To dry it I reccomend driving with your arm out of the car window but also i only reccomend this to people with arm casts.