Orthopedics Community
Grinding in knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Grinding in knee

Dear Dr, I've had four knee surgeries on both knees in the past due to dislocations. I've had grinding/popping in my left knee for quite awhile. One day, I felt and heard a loud popping noise that hurt. It was getting harder to walk and bending my knee. The pain went from the front of the patella to the medial side. My dr thought it could be a meniscus tear so I had an MRI done. Nothing showed up to cause concern. Could it just be degeneration or what else could it be? Sometimes I have a hard time standing up if I sit for too long. It's a sharp pain where I can't extend my leg all the way. I'm only 24 so this is really annoying since I've had knee issues since I was 12.
Hi!
The main reason for popping/grinding/cracking sound from knee with pain is tears in menisci. If this is ruled out by MRI, then the other possibility is patellofemoral pain syndrome. This also causes pain on bending the knee, a grinding or popping sound and a feeling of knee giving away on walking. This happens due to overuse of joint, excess weight on joint, muscular dysfunction, foot deformities causing wrong weight transmission to knee and some biochemical changes. First physical therapy is started. Other treatments include knee caps and braces, taping the patella to reduce friction, anti inflammatory drugs, custom designed foot wear to correct arch problems if any and rest to the knee joint and applying ice packs. You need to avoid postures where knee is kept bent for long. Please consult a sports injury specialist or an orthopedic specialist for this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.