HELP ME PLEASE!!!
I first injured my R knee a long time ago (approx 25 yrs)--which resulted in a fracture. About 4 yrs ago, I injured it again, but nothing dibilitating--jus a sprain. Since then, I've noticed alot of "cracking & popping" as I walk & climb stairs--also edema every night with aching. Recently, (3 wks ago), I fell HARD on this knee, felt tremendous pain & heard a "pop". It immediately began to swell & became stiff-I couldn't bend it or walk...went to E.R, ortho next day--after X-ray said nothing @E.R, was sent to Ortho--MRI was ordered & done. After all this-ortho said MRI shows no meniscus tears, no ACL, or any ligament probs--there was arthritis, blood, some tissue damage & lots of fluid--I was ordered to do physical therapy due to that I STILL can't bend my knee, it now "gives out on me" when I do try to walk, & quite a bit of edema. The therapy is VERY painful, hasn't improved my knees bending--actually seems to have caused more pain & edema! Could the MRI have been wrong? May there have been a tear somewhere? Or are MRI's always right? I'm frustrated due to no improvement after following all orders & advice & wondering about getting a second opinion? PLEASE HELP!!
I'm a nurse, on my feet alot & NEED to get back to work! I've already been off 3 wks!!!
HELP!!!
Hi there!

It is unlikely for the MRI to be faulty. The symptoms could occur due to the changes described (arthritis/ blood/ tissue damage/ fluid) on the MRI as well. It may take sometime for the inflammation to subside and the symptoms to improve. I would suggest following your doctors advice for a few weeks, before seeking a review or a second opinion.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!