Orthopedics Community
HELP ME READ MY MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

HELP ME READ MY MRI

THIS IS MY MRI REPORT OF THE LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST

IT READS AS FOLLOWS:
TECHICAL DATA:
Sagittal t2, sagittal t1, and axial t2 weighted images were obtained

FINDINGS:
the alignment is satisfactory. Vertebral body height are well maintained. There is a narrowing of the L4-5 and L5-s1 disc spaces. there are prominent end plate changes at L4-5 and L5-S1. the conus is unremarkable at the L1 level.

L1-2 disc space is unremarkable

L2-3 disc space is unremarkable.

L3-4 disc space is unremarkable.

At L4-5, there is a small disc protrusion with the bulging of the annulus and mild bilateral nerve root effacement.

At L5-S1, there is a moderate size disc protrusion with the bulging of the annulus and bilateral nerve root effacement.

what does this mean?

I started to have bad back pain after having my daughter in 2008. i gained 85 pounds during my pregnancy due to polyhydramnios. ever since i have had bad back pains in my lower back and around my hip on the right side and pains down my foot. what does the mri mean. do i have sciatica?
Tags: MRI, Back pain
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to follow proper ergonomics and also to lose the extra baggage.

With achieving proper BMI (normal weight for your height) and following proper ergonomics you can protect your lower lumbar spine from any further progression of damage.

An orthopedician is the best person to give you pain killers and an exercise routine and if conservative therapy fails he will consider surgery for any complications.

Degenerative disc diseases can cause Sciatica and for this you have to have clinical symptoms of pain in your thighs and also the pain is usually referred along the medial side of the thigh the areas where your sciatic nerve innervates.

Take care!