Orthopedics Community
HOLE IN WOUND AFTER ANKLE ARTHROSCOPY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

HOLE IN WOUND AFTER ANKLE ARTHROSCOPY

I had my third ankle arthroscopy this year, three weeks ago.  The first was back in April and although the wound healed, I was walking with a limp and in a considerable amount of pain. My consultant tried dry needling and cortisone injections and there was no improvement,  I therefore had my second arthroscopy and debridement on 2nd Nov and further scar tissue was removed. When the stitches were removed (25th) the ankle didn't heal properly and I was left with a hole.  I took antibiotics and had emergency surgery following week to wash out the ankle.  All the swab results were clear and as a precaution, my consultant suggested that the stitches stay in 3 weeks instead of 2.  I came back from the surgery today and I am a little concerned as the stitches were removed and the wound is leaking again - is this normal and am I just worrying?  My GP has given me antibiotics to take and advised me to monitor it.  Can anyone please advise me? I am worried that I will potentially be going into hospital for a 4th arthroscopy after Christmas and I am extremely concerned that the wound isn't healing properly and I may be left with a weakness in the ankle.  Any advice anyone may have will be greatly appreciated.