Orthopedics Community
Hands, Neck, Shoulder pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hands, Neck, Shoulder pain

My mom is having consistent pain in hands, neck and shoulders. She experiences stiffness in the hands when she wakes up in the morning. She has also fainted couple of times after severe pain in the neck. She is also experiencing pain in both the shoulders and neck.

Multiple doctors have tried multiple things but nothing has helped more than adding minor improvement. Earlier her HB was very low which is well in the range since last one year but even then her pain has not gone completely though the pain has reduced.

She is 56 years old and is not having any other illness.

Any suggestions or any particular treatments that can be tried? Please suggest. I am out of options and not able to help out my mom.

Thanks,
Vinay
  • synovial (2 replies):
    Is there anything that can help your body to start makin...[more]
How is your mom feeling?
I think she is having radiculopathy due to compression of nerve at cervical level. This can be due to nerve compression or nerve impingement. This nerve compression or nerve impingement could be due to spinal disc pathology.
Which all doctors you have seen so far?
What does the doctor have to say about this? What imaging studies have been done?
I think you should be seeing an orthopaedician at earliest and get imaging study done to see for any pathology.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Coupld of doctors in Mumbai and Dr Parasnis from Sancheti have examined her. Sancheti did her Xrays and did physiotherapy (e-massage and some exercises) for 1 week and then had given some tablets and also asked her to continue exercises. She took the course of tablets for 4 months, it did not help though we saw some minor  improvement. We discontinued it and then tried few Ayurvedic doc recommended stuff for 6 months. That also seemed to have helped a little bit. Nothing has helped to a major extent.
Now I have got MSM and Glucosamine and Chrondrotin tablets from US and lot of people have recommended that.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks for your earlier response.

Regards,
Vinay
I am sorry that your mother has to go through all this.
There was a recent study to show the use of glucosamine and chondroitin tablets are not effective.
The use of nutraceuticals, such as glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, is controversial, with a recent study showing no benefit (*).
Intra-articular injection:
With corticosteroids, decreases pain for short periods.
With hyaluronic acid, may have a small effect on knee pain.
Opioid pain medicine may be used for severe pain in patients who are not operative candidates.
Bye.

*-Clegg DO, Reda DJ, Harris CL, et al. Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:795 to 808.