Orthopedics Community
Hard, immovable bump on ulna

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hard, immovable bump on ulna

I discovered a small (size of an almond) hard bump on the ulna of my left arm.  I can't move it and it feels like it's part of the bone.  It isn't painful unless pressed firmly or I lean on a counter or table top with my forearms.  I've seen a Dr who sent me for x-rays.  Waiting on those results.  My question is how much information can be gleaned just from an x-ray?  Will they show definitively if it's something benign or malignant?  And if the results indicate it's benign, should I push for a biopsy to be sure?  There's been a lot of cancer in my family so I don't want to take any chances.  
Hi MFS, i've also had a hard bump on the ulner side of wrist and it turned out to be a gangling cyst that only showed up on an MRI.  I had surgery to remove it and all has been fine since for that reason.  Also if you do have surgery and your only problem is this issue, don't let the doctor go all though your wirst to fix other thing that arn't hurting you.  My first doctor roto rootered my wrist and i went in for a small tear to a legiment.  See a hand doctor not a doctor that does it all
Thanks Phill614.  My bump is further down the ulna, about 3" up from the elbow towards the wrist.  Not near the wrist at all, which would have made my Dr think of the ganglion cyst right away.  I'm not sure if those are typical that far away from the wrist...  It would sure be nice if that's all it turns out to be tho!
Sorry about your wrist experience!  Sounds like an over eager Dr at work!
Did you find out what this bump was?  I have the same thing on my arm.

I'm going through the same thing and wondered if either of you received a diagnosis? I'm hoping you're both in good health!