Orthopedics Community
Hardware Removal in Left Hip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hardware Removal in Left Hip

In July of 2010, I had an osteotomy. That is where they take your femur out of your socket, reshape it, turn it in place, and pin it with a metal plate and screws. My hips are at 33 degrees when a normal hip should only be at 15. The surgery went well. I was doing great with physical therapy. However, I started to go downhill about a month and a half ago. I was feeling a pinching sensation deep within my groin. When I would move a weird way to release the tension, it would respond with a loud, painful 'click'-sound. It keeps getting worse as each day passes. And I cannot control when it fires up. It happens at random times - walking, laying in bed, sitting to standing, etc. It is extremely painful and I simply cannot take the pain anymore. Earlier today, I went to the hospital where I had my surgery and I saw one of the surgeons. He thinks it is a good idea to remove the metal plate and screws. I am so skinny that the metal is rubbing against the bone, causing me some of the pain. As far as the 'clicking' goes, we have to check with another surgeon to see if I need arthroscopic surgery along with the removal of the hardware. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone been through something like this before? Is there anything I should worry about? Will my pain resolve? I am getting extremely depressed and frustrated because I have been suffering with this pain for 4 years and I am getting sick and tired of it. I am tired of waiting for answers. I just need something to relieve my pain. Any comments or suggestions would be great. Thank you so much!