Orthopedics Community
Hardware Removal
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hardware Removal

I was wondering if anyone out there has had hardware removal surgery? Was it painful? Did it help over the long term? I am feeling anxious about my hardware removal surgery tomorrow. I had surgery last July for a bad injury (four fractures and a dislocated elbow). The surgeon says he normally recommends a full year before hardware removal but my arm/elbow had healed to a point that he thinks it will be okay to take it out early.
Blank
Hello!

Your surgeon is the best person to take the call as any hardware may get stuck with tissue growth over a period of time.

You may need antibiotics and rest for a week if there are no complications and if you have some soft tissue injury then it will take 3-4 weeks for complete healing after hardware removal.

Take care!

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello!

Your surgeon is the best person to take the call as any hardware may get stuck with tissue growth over a period of time.

You may need antibiotics and rest for a week if there are no complications and if you have some soft tissue injury then it will take 3-4 weeks for complete healing after hardware removal.

Take care!

Blank
Thanks for your reply! There is a lot of pain along the incision line but I'm guessing that's normal. The surgeon removed one of the large plates I had in my arm that he thought was contributing to my pain issues. I'm on an antibiotic and lots of pain meds. Not sure exactly how much else he removed or left in. I had a ton of metal in there supporting my bones until they healed.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...