Has anyone had the Synvisc injections?
I have had left knee problems for at least 4 years now.  Dr. has given me quite a few injections into the knee.  Now he is suggesting Synvisc injections. This is injected once a week for three weeks and is supposed to provide up to 6 months of knee pain relief. I was wondering if anyone has had this treatment and if there are any side effects from it?  And does it really work and last as long as they claim?????  Thanks,  Kikko
I just received my first shot of Synvisk on 4/18/07, and within minutes my knee pain was completely gone.  There is still a little stiffness, but so far I feel like my knee's are new.  I still have 2 more shots to get and I can't wait to see how I feel....  I was told that for some people it works on the frist shot and some it takes all 3 shots before it works.  i guess I got lucky.  I can now continue playing softball as before the shots I couldn't run, now I am as fast as I used to be...
thank you for the encouraging information.  I hope you continue to do well with it.  Did your doctor tell you how long it will last and how often you can get the series of injections?  Kikko
I am so happy for you.  Just don't overdo and cause more damage.  If you find out more about the treatments, do post it.  I won't be seeing my Dr. for another few weeks.  But I do think I will give it a try.  I might not get as good results as you did.  I am 66 yrs old.  And if you are playing softball, you are young! Good luck to you.   Kikko
The shot last's up to 6 months, but I need to ask how often I can receive the treatment.  I played softball last night and I had absolutely no knee pain and I was able to run and slide, something I couldn't do for a few years now.  It has made playing soooo much more enjoyable.  I wish that I had known about this treatment sooner.
I am 36, but my doctor told me that I have the knees of an 80 year old.  There was an elderly lady that my doctor said was 86, getting the same treatment as me.  I have had 2 knee surgeries and the cartiligde is dissintigrating so I am on borrowed time.  But I will let you know how the other treatments go next week.
I received my 3rd and final shot yesterday, and I feel like a million bucks !!!!!!!!
  Hopefully this feeling will continue for over the 6 month time frame.
Hi Kneeone,  So glad the shots have worked so well for you.  Saw my Dr. and he said I first needed to have the knee joint "cleaned" out with an arthroscopy as cartledge wear is very visiable on the exrays.  Had that done and now just have to wait for swelling to go down before he can start the injections.  I will be very happy with even some relief and postponing the fact that I will need a replacement with a few years.  I'll stall on that as long as I can!  Keep up the good work and God bless you.   Kikko
yes i have had the synvisc injections and that was one of the best things!!!!!
i have had two series in my right knee. each series lasted 6 months. now i have a pretty bad problem with my left knee and i am trying to get a prior authorization from my ins. co to approve it, however they want 90 days of conservative therapy befor they will approve it. i work in a pharmacy, i'm trying to come up with the money myself to get started on the left knee. i can not beleive ho much better my knee was and the things i could that i had not been able to
I had the injections in both my knees 2 days ago. Immediatly after the injection one of my knees actually started to buckle. I have had pain in both knees since. I called my MD who recommended to ice them. Last night my knee felt like it popped out. I have read all the side effects and this does not seem to be the norm. I have a appointment with my Orthopedist today. I am very reluctant to have the next set of shots next week. I seem to have more pain now then I did prior to the shots..Both knees are increadably stiff as well.
I also had both knees injected on Christmas Eve 2015. I got NO HELP at all. The pain is so bad! He was giving me Cortazone Shots every 3 months and I felt like I was 18 instead of 57. He said I need 2 knees but my heart doctor will not clear me for them.
I didn't have too much pain in both knees but they felt like "rusted hinges" so my Ortop. Doc. recomemended  the Synvisc injections, tomorrow I am going to get the second injections and next week the third one and last. So far so good. After the injecctions I got a little pain but not a bid deal, I hope this will be a final for at least couple of years. Am I too optimistic?
I have been doing knee injections for about 6 years now. I did Synvisc the 1st yr.,Supartz the last 4 and this yr. my Dr. recommended Synvisc again. Did well for the first 2 shots. I just had my 3rd two days ago. Woke up this morning and I could not walk. I had to call in at work. I have never had this problem before the shots have always worked great lasting up to a year. However this time is a totally different exp. The pain is almost unbearable. I am still waiting on my Dr. to call. I am wondering if I should not have stuck to the Supartz.                                                                                
I had a referral to an orthopod to get the Synvisc injections, but when I saw him he told me they didn't work.  As a result I didn't get them.
Started with a work injury to both of the knees.  Then I had scopes on both knees.  Therapy didn't work to well. Arthiritis followed.  I just completed 1 session of synvisc ( 3 injections in each knee for three weeks).  Didn't get much relief.  My right knee swoll up and caused so much pain.  My doctor recommended a bone scan to make sure there isn't a tumor on my knee. (They saw a spot which could be from the injection site or maybe a tumor).  I am pretty much bed ridden.  I will not get those shots again.  I am really disappointed that they didn't work.  But I am happy for all of you that have had success!!!!!! Today he gave me a cortisone shot in my right knee.  Hopefully my scan comes out okay.  But what happens after that is questionable.
I'm sitting here reading all these pros and cons regarding Synvisc and wondering what to do for my knees!  I'm 45 yrs old and have had problems with my left knee since I was 15.  I have NO cartilage in my left knee due to the surgery they did when I was 15.  (gymnastic injury)
Of course...that surgery set it up for arthritis.  Over the past 7 years or so both knees are getting worse..  The dr. wants to wait until I'm older for the knee replacement, but it's only a matter of time.  He also says, Its really up to me when I have the replacement, but I need to wait until the pain is an 8, 9 or 10 everyday.  If I fall or even step off the curb the wrong way and bust it wide open, I'll have no choice but to do it.  The stiffness in both knees is sometimes unbelievable and I can't sit on the floor or get out of a chair or off the couch without the help of my arms or someone pulling me up.  It's crazy.  I want to try the shots, but I'll have to pay for all of it.  My ins. will not cover the injections.  But they'll pay to have a knee replacement.  Now, that makes perfect sense! I'm nervous and want to make the right decision.   Any ideas?
Shannon
I am 57yo.  Had arthroscopic knee surgery 3 yrs ago to "trim up" the meniscus - the pain was worse after surgery than before.  Doc said it was due to arthritis.  Several months later, he recommended synvisc and I recd the injections.  I was disappointed when my knee failed to respond, but  doc recommended a cortisone injection to "supercharge" the synvisc.  I was skeptical, but figured I had nothing to lose.  Knee felt good immediately after the cortisone, which is normal.  To my surprise, however, the knee continued to feel good and two years later still feels ok.  Synvisc + cortisone booster worked for me!  Good luck to everyone..

RonMac
I went in for knee surgery to trim up the meniscus which had a horizontal tear.  After the surgery I had more pain than before ... it has been almost 8 months now..  The doctor recommended I take some supplements - Vitamin C and Calcium w/vitamin B with a recommendation for Synvisc as well.  I feel that I want to wait a bit longer because my knee is just beginning to feel a bit better ... don't know if it is the amount of time or the supplements but I am going to wait on the injections for awhile.  Oh BTW I am 54.

Nick
My Mom is 92, and has been suffering with knee and leg pain for quite a while. She's been taking Aleve with diminishing results. I got her some Celebrex. No improvement. She states that her pain is mostly while standing. She can sit, and even has an exercycle which she uses as best as she can. She did try a cortisone injection and states that the pain was worse, if anything. At her age, I think knee replacement is out of the question.  I wonder if there are some "older" folks out there who have had good results with synvisc?
From all of the comments posted here, it seems a toss-up. There are as many happy results as there are disappointments.
I had three synvisc shots 2 months after arthroscopic surgery. Within 24-36 hours of each shot, I was in intense pain. The doctor said there is no relationship. After the third, I couldn't walk for 2 weeks without a crutch. I had a NAET treatment for my allergic reactions which reduced the pain intensity greatly. The ANET testing showed that it affected my skeletal muscles, joint tissues and body fluids. No wonder it felt like he shot battery acid into my knee and lower leg.

I do not recommend them, especially if you go to a doctor who refuses to see that allergic reactions are a reality.
Have you had x-rays or an MRI done to see if there is something going on before you get the injection?  Have you had an injury to bring pain on?  MRI's are excellent to see muscles, tendons and ligament, meniscus, and can even see bone lesions which x-ray can't show.
Are these injections used for other joints, perhaps thumbs, that are damaged by osteo?