Has anyone had the Synvisc injections?
I have had left knee problems for at least 4 years now.  Dr. has given me quite a few injections into the knee.  Now he is suggesting Synvisc injections. This is injected once a week for three weeks and is supposed to provide up to 6 months of knee pain relief. I was wondering if anyone has had this treatment and if there are any side effects from it?  And does it really work and last as long as they claim?????  Thanks,  Kikko
I just received my first shot of Synvisk on 4/18/07, and within minutes my knee pain was completely gone.  There is still a little stiffness, but so far I feel like my knee's are new.  I still have 2 more shots to get and I can't wait to see how I feel....  I was told that for some people it works on the frist shot and some it takes all 3 shots before it works.  i guess I got lucky.  I can now continue playing softball as before the shots I couldn't run, now I am as fast as I used to be...
thank you for the encouraging information.  I hope you continue to do well with it.  Did your doctor tell you how long it will last and how often you can get the series of injections?  Kikko
The shot last's up to 6 months, but I need to ask how often I can receive the treatment.  I played softball last night and I had absolutely no knee pain and I was able to run and slide, something I couldn't do for a few years now.  It has made playing soooo much more enjoyable.  I wish that I had known about this treatment sooner.
I am so happy for you.  Just don't overdo and cause more damage.  If you find out more about the treatments, do post it.  I won't be seeing my Dr. for another few weeks.  But I do think I will give it a try.  I might not get as good results as you did.  I am 66 yrs old.  And if you are playing softball, you are young! Good luck to you.   Kikko
I am 36, but my doctor told me that I have the knees of an 80 year old.  There was an elderly lady that my doctor said was 86, getting the same treatment as me.  I have had 2 knee surgeries and the cartiligde is dissintigrating so I am on borrowed time.  But I will let you know how the other treatments go next week.
I received my 3rd and final shot yesterday, and I feel like a million bucks !!!!!!!!
  Hopefully this feeling will continue for over the 6 month time frame.
Hi Kneeone,  So glad the shots have worked so well for you.  Saw my Dr. and he said I first needed to have the knee joint "cleaned" out with an arthroscopy as cartledge wear is very visiable on the exrays.  Had that done and now just have to wait for swelling to go down before he can start the injections.  I will be very happy with even some relief and postponing the fact that I will need a replacement with a few years.  I'll stall on that as long as I can!  Keep up the good work and God bless you.   Kikko
yes i have had the synvisc injections and that was one of the best things!!!!!
i have had two series in my right knee. each series lasted 6 months. now i have a pretty bad problem with my left knee and i am trying to get a prior authorization from my ins. co to approve it, however they want 90 days of conservative therapy befor they will approve it. i work in a pharmacy, i'm trying to come up with the money myself to get started on the left knee. i can not beleive ho much better my knee was and the things i could that i had not been able to
I had the injections in both my knees 2 days ago. Immediatly after the injection one of my knees actually started to buckle. I have had pain in both knees since. I called my MD who recommended to ice them. Last night my knee felt like it popped out. I have read all the side effects and this does not seem to be the norm. I have a appointment with my Orthopedist today. I am very reluctant to have the next set of shots next week. I seem to have more pain now then I did prior to the shots..Both knees are increadably stiff as well.
I also had both knees injected on Christmas Eve 2015. I got NO HELP at all. The pain is so bad! He was giving me Cortazone Shots every 3 months and I felt like I was 18 instead of 57. He said I need 2 knees but my heart doctor will not clear me for them.
I didn't have too much pain in both knees but they felt like "rusted hinges" so my Ortop. Doc. recomemended  the Synvisc injections, tomorrow I am going to get the second injections and next week the third one and last. So far so good. After the injecctions I got a little pain but not a bid deal, I hope this will be a final for at least couple of years. Am I too optimistic?
I have been doing knee injections for about 6 years now. I did Synvisc the 1st yr.,Supartz the last 4 and this yr. my Dr. recommended Synvisc again. Did well for the first 2 shots. I just had my 3rd two days ago. Woke up this morning and I could not walk. I had to call in at work. I have never had this problem before the shots have always worked great lasting up to a year. However this time is a totally different exp. The pain is almost unbearable. I am still waiting on my Dr. to call. I am wondering if I should not have stuck to the Supartz.                                                                                
I had a referral to an orthopod to get the Synvisc injections, but when I saw him he told me they didn't work.  As a result I didn't get them.
Started with a work injury to both of the knees.  Then I had scopes on both knees.  Therapy didn't work to well. Arthiritis followed.  I just completed 1 session of synvisc ( 3 injections in each knee for three weeks).  Didn't get much relief.  My right knee swoll up and caused so much pain.  My doctor recommended a bone scan to make sure there isn't a tumor on my knee. (They saw a spot which could be from the injection site or maybe a tumor).  I am pretty much bed ridden.  I will not get those shots again.  I am really disappointed that they didn't work.  But I am happy for all of you that have had success!!!!!! Today he gave me a cortisone shot in my right knee.  Hopefully my scan comes out okay.  But what happens after that is questionable.
I'm sitting here reading all these pros and cons regarding Synvisc and wondering what to do for my knees!  I'm 45 yrs old and have had problems with my left knee since I was 15.  I have NO cartilage in my left knee due to the surgery they did when I was 15.  (gymnastic injury)
Of course...that surgery set it up for arthritis.  Over the past 7 years or so both knees are getting worse..  The dr. wants to wait until I'm older for the knee replacement, but it's only a matter of time.  He also says, Its really up to me when I have the replacement, but I need to wait until the pain is an 8, 9 or 10 everyday.  If I fall or even step off the curb the wrong way and bust it wide open, I'll have no choice but to do it.  The stiffness in both knees is sometimes unbelievable and I can't sit on the floor or get out of a chair or off the couch without the help of my arms or someone pulling me up.  It's crazy.  I want to try the shots, but I'll have to pay for all of it.  My ins. will not cover the injections.  But they'll pay to have a knee replacement.  Now, that makes perfect sense! I'm nervous and want to make the right decision.   Any ideas?
Shannon
I am 57yo.  Had arthroscopic knee surgery 3 yrs ago to "trim up" the meniscus - the pain was worse after surgery than before.  Doc said it was due to arthritis.  Several months later, he recommended synvisc and I recd the injections.  I was disappointed when my knee failed to respond, but  doc recommended a cortisone injection to "supercharge" the synvisc.  I was skeptical, but figured I had nothing to lose.  Knee felt good immediately after the cortisone, which is normal.  To my surprise, however, the knee continued to feel good and two years later still feels ok.  Synvisc + cortisone booster worked for me!  Good luck to everyone..

RonMac
I went in for knee surgery to trim up the meniscus which had a horizontal tear.  After the surgery I had more pain than before ... it has been almost 8 months now..  The doctor recommended I take some supplements - Vitamin C and Calcium w/vitamin B with a recommendation for Synvisc as well.  I feel that I want to wait a bit longer because my knee is just beginning to feel a bit better ... don't know if it is the amount of time or the supplements but I am going to wait on the injections for awhile.  Oh BTW I am 54.

Nick
My Mom is 92, and has been suffering with knee and leg pain for quite a while. She's been taking Aleve with diminishing results. I got her some Celebrex. No improvement. She states that her pain is mostly while standing. She can sit, and even has an exercycle which she uses as best as she can. She did try a cortisone injection and states that the pain was worse, if anything. At her age, I think knee replacement is out of the question.  I wonder if there are some "older" folks out there who have had good results with synvisc?
From all of the comments posted here, it seems a toss-up. There are as many happy results as there are disappointments.
I had three synvisc shots 2 months after arthroscopic surgery. Within 24-36 hours of each shot, I was in intense pain. The doctor said there is no relationship. After the third, I couldn't walk for 2 weeks without a crutch. I had a NAET treatment for my allergic reactions which reduced the pain intensity greatly. The ANET testing showed that it affected my skeletal muscles, joint tissues and body fluids. No wonder it felt like he shot battery acid into my knee and lower leg.

I do not recommend them, especially if you go to a doctor who refuses to see that allergic reactions are a reality.
Have you had x-rays or an MRI done to see if there is something going on before you get the injection?  Have you had an injury to bring pain on?  MRI's are excellent to see muscles, tendons and ligament, meniscus, and can even see bone lesions which x-ray can't show.
Are these injections used for other joints, perhaps thumbs, that are damaged by osteo?
Although it sounds like people can have allergic reactions to Synvisc, and that perhaps some doctors aren't trained well in giving the shots in the right locations, I know of three people who are doing extremely well after receiving Synvisc injections. My coworker friend at our healthcare group had heard about Synvisc from another coworker at her 2nd job with another healthcare group. This woman told her that after she had received her injections, her knee pain was gone, and it had been about a year or so. So, my friend, who had been going frequently for cortisone injections, opted for Synvisc.  After her three shots she was feeling GREAT, and she  has not had pain for a year now. She has not required further injections.

I also know a man who had it done two months ago, and is doing great. However, I had to tell his wife that he must stay off of his feel for a couple of days or so after each injection, as he had planned to go back to work the way he would after a cortisone shot. It is not the same thing at all, and you must stay off of your feet to allow this fluid to settle where it needs to. He did as recommended, and he is feeling terrific!

People run into problems when they don't heed the instructions to stay off of their feet and keep their leg elevated for a couple of days. They may also run into problems with doctors who are not trained well enough to hit  the correct injection sites, and who may inject too much in one spot. You have to find a well trained orthopedic surgeon to do this.

I have heard of three success stories, so I am recommending Synvisc to others. I am surprised that they say it only lasts "up to 6 months", as my coworker has been fine for over a year, and her coworker at her other job has been fine for two years.

I am 49 yrs old. I have had knee problems for 15 years.  Arthoscopic surgery on both knees done 1999 and 2001.  I have continued to have some pain but I have managed with medications.  

One month ago I had Synivsc injections in my right knee.  The right knee was the one that was most painful.  I have no cartiledge left and rubbing bone on bone with several bone spurs.  I have had some relief.
I had my first injection on the left knee 1 week ago and it is great.  No pain whatsoever.   Two more shots to go.  

My insurance coverage was great too.  I had to pay $100.00 copay for a Synvisc.  (box of 3)  each box  $100.00

My question to others that have had these injections is if they experienced any depression with this medication.  I have also battled depression for a number of years and after the first injection on the first knee I began to have a dark cloud hovering.  Those of you who suffer depression will know what I am talking about.  Each injection I would get the depression was greater.  

Has anyone experienced this.  
I also have "bone-on-bone" on the medial miniscus. My Dr. says Synvisc is not as effective in a "bone-on-bone" situation. What were you told about the expected outcome? Why did you do it?
Had my last Synvisc shot about three weeks ago.  It hasn't helped at all,
actually feels worse.  My doctor told me before I even got the shots that
they only work in 50% or so of the cases.  If your arthritis is advanced,
less chance of working.  Mine is very bad but tried it anyway. I am so glad I only did it in one knee.  He told me to do that in case it didn't work.
littledragon133

Hi Dear

Synvisc is used to relieve knee pain due to osteoarthritis (OA). It is approved for those patients who do not get adequate relief from painkillers such as acetaminophen, or from exercise and physical therapy. Synvisc is injected directly into the joint to restore the lubricating properties of normal joint fluid. The therapy is generally well tolerated. However, it may not work for everyone. The side effects most commonly seen when  pain in knee, swelling and/or fluid buildup around the knee. Before using Synvisc, it should be ascertained if one is allergic to products from birds such as eggs, feather etc.

Best..
I go tomorrow for the 3rd injection of Synvisc in the left knee.  I am doing rather well now. The injection I had last week was the most painful as of date.  I am walking alot better.  Has been a month since I had the Synvisc in right knee.  Hope to be doing alot better soon.  

My doctor says that the Synvisc was not as effective for the bone on bone but this was my only option.  He does not want to do surgery until I am older but  he said it was up to me when the pain got to the point where I could no longer stand it.  I wanted to try the shots to see if I could get the relief.  I have tried several options, pain meds,  and pt.  This was my last resort before surgery which I will do on the right knee if the Synvisc
did not work.  

I still have pain especially in the right knee but not as much as before.  
This was the best choice for me at this time.
Update!  I went for the last Synivsc injection on left knee today.  Shot was not painful at all.  I guess when you have knee pain you can pretty much take alot of pain.  As I have said before I do still have some pain in right knee (worse) but completely pain free in the left.  My physician also gave me a sample of a new medication called Voltran Gel for OA.  I put that on the painful part of my right knee and it works pretty good.  I left the doctors office after the last injection  and I put this gel on both knees  and went to see my daughter's senior project at our Bancorp South Arena.  I did great.  This was the last resort for me before surgery.  I wanted to try it and left knee is better than the right knee but with this new med I may be ok for a while.  I am very excited about the injections and the gel as well.  
It's been a month since I posted in regards to my adverse reaction to Synvisc. My injections were given following artho surgery for slight men tear, synovial joint capsule damage, a floater and articular cart damage all from a fall.

Although the NAET allergy treatment has helped to reduce the intense, feels-like-battery-acid-is-eating-my-flesh kind of pain, I still can't ride my bike (which I used to commute on my bike everywhere at least 20 miles/day). I still can't walk for long, (which I'm an avid hiker, skier, explorer kind of gal). I am 43 years old, and all I can say is that Synvisc has ruined the last 3 months of my life...and I'm still not better.

I'm glad that Synvisc has worked for so many people, but don't think Synvisc is a risk-free treatment. Watch carefully for warning signs of a reactions, AND don't depend on your doctor to STOP based on your symptoms...this is a huge money maker. (sad but true)

I'm totally disappointed in this whole experience.

Someone tauted MRI's in an above post. Beaware: I had 5 points of injury from my fall, and ZERO showed up on the MRI.  My surgery was a success, praise God, but everything else has been a nightmare.
Update to all about my last Synvisc injection in my left leg.  I am so blessed.  My knee is pain free walking.  I only have minor pain when walking up stairs.  The right knee is still painful but with the Voltren Gel applied to it as well as some pain meds I will be able to function.  

Synvisc may not be for everyone but it is what was good for me.  I will do it again when the time comes.  

If anyone considering having the injections and need some questions answered just let me know.  I will be on this forum daily.

Good health to all!
Hi, I'm 68 years young, have bad knees for the last 15years.
I had the Synvisc infection last Aug 2007. I will be having the next set of infection in June 2008. I have the infection in both knees at the same time and get up and walk out of the office.
Just a little follow up, I need both of by knees replace, and would not do it now because of family's needs. Will have the knee replace next year. and with the Synvisc, I would have had to get the surgery earlier.
It worked for me.
Good luck.
Your comments were very interesting  to read.  I am one month out on the right knee(worse) and one week out on the third injection on left knee.  I was out and about today and I actually watched myself walk as I was going into a store.  I did not limp as much as before and I somehow seem to walk kinda normal. That is a first for me in a long time.  I didn't really have difficulty picking my leg up to set up on a curb.  Those of you know what I am talking about.  Those that do not know ( well-are blessed).  

I am applying the new medication Voltren Gel to my knees and it really helps too.  I have a friend that had knee replacement on 4/15/08  and I take her for her office visits and our doctor gave her a sample also.  She was going to have her other knee done in Nov 08 but now says she is doing much much better using the Voltren Gel and now may delay surgery for now.  May not work for everyone but we are two Mississippi gals and it has helped us.  

I have a question.  My physician says the Synvisc shot last 6 months.  Has anyone had an experience where they last longer than 6 months?  Just curious.
I had two series of Synvisc shots 4 yrs ago when every impact made me cringe.  I have not needed any more since that time, and I now have a pain free stable knee (initial issues were medial meniscectomy; acl replacement) that continues to amaze me.

Good luck for continued effectiveness.

I think that the reason that I continue to be pain-free is that somehow, the volume of the injections changed the biomechanics internally.  Once that happened, I became good to go.....and go......and go.  So:  bottom line:  Although the injections themselves are painful, the long-term effectiveness in my case completely warranted them.
I am 38 years old and have had an arthroscopy on my left knee.  I had a tear of the meniscus as well as scar tissue, floaters and osteoarthritis in the knee.  The orthopaedic surgeon told me that the surgery would take about 45 minutes.  It actually took nearly 3 hours.  After the procedure, he told me my knee was "a mess" and one of the worst he'd seen since practicing medicine.  Like one of the others' posts to this site, the MRI and x-ray did not reveal all of the damage I've had to my left knee.

Before the surgery, I could not ride in a car for more than about 20 consecutive minutes without having to stop and get out to move and stretch my knee.  Two weeks before the surgery, I was calling my orthopaedic surgeon to see if he could move me up on his surgical schedule because the pain was so chronic and intense.  After the surgery, I've had a dramatic reduction in the pain level.  Like one of the others who've posted on this site, my orthopaedic surgeon does not consider me a candidate for knee replacement surgery now due to my age.

I am mostly mobile but have mostly stiffness in both knees and somewhat limited range of motion; particularly in my left knee post-surgery.  I am looking for a therapy that will restore some more of my range of motion in both knees as well as the stiffness.  My pain level in my left knee is actually pretty moderate.

My right knee has not approached the leve of paid I had in my left knee prior to the surgery.  I hope the right knee will hold out for a few more years without necessity of arthroscopy or other procedure.  However, both knees still ache, swell, and stiffen.

I've been taking Osteobiflex, and I've noticed some improvement in the stiffness and achiness.  However, I'd like to hear comments from anyone posting on this site about not only Synvisc treatments but other treatments available for treatment of osteoarthritis in the knee joints.  My symptoms are more achiness, stiffness, and limited range of motion instead of pain.  Thanks.
I just completed my last (third) injection, and there is no difference, same amount of pain.  The cortisone shot really made a difference for the Bursitis, but synvisc....No difference,still in a knee brace
I hope you get some relief from the synvisc.  It did take about two full weeks after the injections  to get to feeling better.  I am back where I started with the right knee. I am about 1 1/2 months out and I am having alot of pain. I have several bone spurs as well as OA.  My left knee is great.  Never gives me pain or stiffness.  Give it a little while longer to absorb in the knee.  
Hope you will do well.
I had my first synvisc shots in my left knee wich had 2 operations,synvisc to me was a life saver,it lasted 2 yrs,only after driving a car with a clutch did it start hurting again,I got the second shots 2 yrs ago again life saving relief,but thats the problem,.it works too well and surgeons and pain docs dont like it,no profits from ur pain relief.     last year the osteo started in my right knee and I have been to 3 doctors in a row who refused to give me the shots,trying to set me up for unnesesary surgeries,back & hip,neither had any problems.  Beware if they try to give u a series of 5 shots of something they say is like synvisc but its not,the other stuff does not work and the last "doctor" left me in a wheel chair in agony,I am right now in the process of filing a complaint against him with Aetna insurance who know what these QUACKS are trying to do.I have 2 friends one in New Jersey one here in Houston who always got synvisc and now they got the same screwing from their docs that I got
The injections did work for me I had 2 series of injections the Dr's. like it because it is non toxic and does no damage unlike cortisone.The one thing I noticed after 5or6 months the pain came back fast,it was not a gradual increase
I just turned 70 this year and suddenly started to have pain in my rt knee, never had any problems before, skied and biked, always exercised with weights and low impact aerobics, have taken glucosamine/chondroitin for years, eat the right foods (lots of veggies and fruit, no simple carbs - well, very little every once in a while) complimented by many of the "right" vitamin supplements and bio identical hormone replacement.  

A month ago, the pain was so intense, I could no longer exercise or take walks.  I tried a cortisone shot -- didn't do anything for me. I was talked into arthroscopic surgery to "fix a couple of meniscal tears" which was supposedly no big deal and was promised to give me relief practically "instantly" after I healed from the surgery.  I hate it when the surgeon lies to you.  Here I am four weeks later and the pain is worse at times and it's there 24/7. Synvisc injections were not an option, I was told, since I also have "some" osteoarthritis.

I have since consulted another orthopedic surgeon who showed me in his xrays that the cartiledge in my knee joint is practically shot (I have about 1 mm where there should be 5 mm), declared that I have severe osteoarthritis and I am now looking at a knee replacement.

If you're still with me, please understand that the injections are simply a stop gap measure that will tide you over for a while, and so is arthroscopic surgery -- I have read reports that seriously question the validity of having the scope surgery done, since more often than not, it doesn't solve any problems and tends to cause pain for a prolonged period of time -- my osteopath speaks of 6-12 months!  And he's had both knees done as a young man due to sports injuries -- so he knows from experience.

For reasons of counter indications, I can only take Tylenol, which doesn't do much for the pain, but I am on Celebrex and I tried Ultram 100 mg (200mg was way too strong for me) which makes the pain bearable, but constipates me to the point of compaction.  I've added a large amount Psyllium husks to my diet to combat this.  Elevation (above your heart) of the leg and ice helps some. So does walking with a cane -- be sure to use the cane on the opposite side of the problem knee.

I recently received a prescription for Lidocane patches (used primarly to relieve the pain of Shingles) which I wear on my knee for 12 hrs during the day and that seems to hold me practically pain free.  I would recommend it to anyone suffering with knee pain who doesn't want or can't take oral pain medication.  

A word of caution, though, even if the pain lets up, don't overdo it -- remember, the underlying problem is still there and you might do more damage.  Osteoarthritis cannot be cured -- at least I haven't heard of anything that restores the cartilage, so knee replacement seems the only option left.  Fortunately, the artificial knees now last beyond 25 years -- In my case, it will probably outlive me.

Tks for listening and good luck to you.

Karin

Hi all!  I'm new to the forum but I'm glad to see so many people here talking about the Synvisc injections.  I'm 26 now, and back when I was 16 I chipped off the back of my kneecap in a rollerblading accident.  I'd had an arthroscopy to remove the bone chip and smooth the lateral meniscus, went through my post op therapy and was pain free.  About a year ago, I fell through a rotted board in a deck and suffered a second injury to that knee.  Immedately after the fall I had a massive hematoma and plenty of soft tissue damage, and with all the swelling -and me squirming- they were not able to get a clear MRI.  The initial injury cleared up but I was still left with a pain level of 1-2 daily, as high as 6-7 if I did too much.  Finally the pain got bad enough on a daily basis that I started monthly Toradol injections, which only helped at first.  I was started on a Medrol Dose Pack, Celebrex and Darvocet after several Toradol injections failed to make a continuous improvement.  The Medrol made a noticable improvement but it faded a few weeks after I finished the pack.  Celebrex, I think, is the only thing keeping me from going out of my mind.  A gall bladder removal has made Tylenol very hard on my stomach, no matter what coating or formulation, and so I have been mostly unable to tolerate standard pain meds.  Ultram ER 300mg has done well for a daily pain control, but I have an emergency supply of Vicoprofen for flare ups.  I've also graduated from ACE wrap, to knee sleeve, to a vicious metal and velcro contraption that leaves a bruise on my knee.  My ortho has determined through X-Ray and MRI that I have (forgive the spelling) condromalyisa from previous surgery, a baker's cyst, dislocating patella, and although not clearly visible on MRI, he suspects there may be a meniscial tear in there somewhere that's caused the cyst.  So far I've been through several weeks of thearpy (in the pool, because I refuse to go to Helga's House of Pain) and am due to start my Synvisc injections this afternoon.  I've had cortisone injections before on other joints and did NOT respond well to them, and am now very nervous about injections directly into the joint.  I am heartened by all the positive results many of you have had, but I seem to get the feeling that you either love Synvisc or hate it, and that while it may relieve pain it will not stop a looming arthroscopy, only delay it.  My stomach is in knots and my fingers are crossed.  Will let y'all know what happens next!  

Thanks for reading,
Nicole
Bama's Own Batgirl
10 years ago, I had ACL reconstruction surgery on my left knee. 6 years ago, I received the Synvisc injections in that knee.I have been almost pain free until about 6-8 months ago! WooHoo!!! I just went yesterday for my first injection of Supartz (in both knees) which my Dr. says is more effective than Synvisc. We'll see!

God bless all of you! Hang in there!
Vickie
Well, I ended up getting Orthovisc instead of Symvisc, don't know what the difference is.  However, got some significant pain relief for a few days, but it faded quickly.  Does it usually take all three injections before permanent relief is achieved?  Or is this a sign it probably won't work for me?  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicole
Bama's Own Batgirl
Hi I am 2 weeks out from Meniscus surgery. I had a MRI prior to the arthoscopic surgery. After the surgery and during the Post op visit my surgeon tells me I might not get much relief, from pain as I have "moderate" arthritis in 2/3 of my knee. What was the point in doing the surgery at all??? I felt like asking. I have noticed little difference maybe 25% improvement. I did take an Aleve and did notice some relief. I am 59 and I am considering the injections as well. How long after Menicus removal does one feel better?  I have been told to Aerobics (water) and the eliptical trainer at the gym where I belong. I think all that is well and good, but it all just forestalls the inevitable. Knee replacement. UGH how I will dread going through such an ordeal.
Well, I go tomorrow (9:45 a.m.) to get an injection in my left knee;  56 yr. old male, overweight and sedentary ( very athletic before body started crumbling).  Had an MRI done after cortisone shot gave no relief.  Voltran was prescribed for pain and it worked but I'm afraid that cure may be worse than the curse.  I'm hoping watever drug they shoot in my knee will give me some long term relief without risking my overall health.  Dr. says i just have OA in my knee and after reading all these horror stories, wonder if the shots are a good idea.  Oh well, what's a guinea pig to do?  NO PAIN...NO GAIN!  Right?  Will keep you posted.
I am curious how your injection went? Did you get the Synsvisc? Curious minds want to know? I did Aleve twice this week. Once it worked fantastic the second time--nothing at all. I am seriously considering this for my left knee. I have "moderate" arthritis. Keep us posted. Thanks.
Hi folks!

I see many share our affliction.  Sorry indeed to hear this.

In Dec of 2004 I injured my left knee in a lifting accident (lifting too much).  I've had two a/scopes to repair the meniscus and shave the cartilledge and one open operation to remove some sort of cyst from behind my knee.  I've not been pain-free since that awful December.

The only relief I've had has been after cortisone shots. Unfortunately they only last a week or two.

I just finished having my third injection of Synvisc.  I got some partial relief after the first injection but not so much after the second and third.

Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll get more relief as the medication gets dispersed.  I look forward to reading about everybody's progress.

TerryC
Would anyone care to share what the cost of these injections are? I called my insurance company to inquire and they didn't know. They didn't have a listing on there schedule for it. Are they covered by any insurance? I know this can be ordered on a Canadian pharmacy for about $461.00 for 3 injections. Only problem is, who would do the injecting?? I am not that brave.
I just had an appointment with my dr. this afternoon who suggested Synvisc. I asked if it was expensive---his reply "not if the insurance covers it; on your own, it's about $500." Don't know if that is accurate, but that's the number he called out.
Hello everyone. I am 30 years old, and I am a dancer. I have had 2 MRI's on my right knee. The first MRI showed a grade 3 meniscal tear, but it was not conclusive.  The second showed chondromalacia. Two MRI's and 2 diagnoses.  My doctor wants me to try the synvisc shots as a conservative measure, and if that does nothing, then he wants to do surgery.  I am a little scared about all of this. First of all, I am allergic to down feathers, so maybe it is not a good idea for these shots? Maybe I should just do the surgery. Anyone have any suggestions?
I am a 60 year old Hospice Nurse, on my feet all the time.  I have had surgery to clean up my right knee, have had cortisone injections in the knee, used a bone stimulator for a cracked Tibia - now they want to do the Synvisc.  My question may sound silly, but I want to know how much this shot hurts, especially since it is a thick gel.  Any honest answers would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Finished my series of Orthovisc injections.  No improvement in my knee condition.

Good luck to the rest of you.
It's not as bad as cortisone.  The amount injected is less.

TerryC
Greetings...I am 48, and at the age of twelve, I had surgery on my left knee.  A few weeks ago, I got up and my knee felt like it "blew out" to the inside.  I have gone to see an ortho, and he gave me a shot of cortizone (didn't last five hours), but I still cannot straighten my knee.  After having an MRI, he said that there really isn't anything left to repair in my knee, but he wants me to try synvisc.  I really get the feeling that he doesn't want to deal with me, but that is a entire situation all to itself.  I can't keep hobbling around, my job requires me to do alot of walking, and being up on my feet.  I'm kinda worried about what I should do.  Any suggestions?
Hi!  I'm a 46 year old newbie to the forum and have my first Synvisc injection scheduled for next week.  Had my first scope in 1980 at the ripe old age of 18 (where ortho told me I had the knee of a 90-year old woman!) and got pretty good results.  Had my second scope in 2001 but really didn't get good results (bone on bone rubbing).  Have been told since 2001 that I will need a total knee replacement but they prefer to wait due to my age.  I'm now to the point where trying to get up after sitting for a while (car, motorcycle, couch, work, anywhere!) is a difficult task and my knee feels like it's "locking."  Even have constant pain (I have a high pain threshhold so it's more like a toothache) all day and it even wakes me during the night.  

Cortisone didn't work for me and doctor isn't giving me much hope for the injections but since insurance is paying for it I figure why not give it a shot.  Doctor says he prefers not to do replacements on "younger" patients because the expectations are higher.
I have been diagnosed with a torn menicus in my right knee as well as osteoarthritis. I suffer a great deal of pain and have recently been prescribed oxycodone. It works well for the most part but when I lay
down at night my legs start to throb with pain and they burn as well.   My Orthropedic doctor wants to try Synvisc and has mentioned surgery
for the meniscus. Any thoughts on the Synvisc?

Franko
65 year old male in the landscape business working six days a week for many years.  I have worn out  cartiledge in left knee and was going to have an Oxford partial knee replacement, when something told me to get a second opinion.  Great doctor gave me a cortisone shot that lasted seven weeks (zero pain) and yesterday I had my first Synvisc shot (9 am). Shot hurt a little (3 or 4) at first, then nothing until about 5pm when I put an ice pack and took an Aleve.  Pain went completely away and had a good nights sleep.   Little pain today (a 2) after working a normal day.  Pain is different from original knee pain and more bearable.    
I execise every morning doing most likley way to many sqats and lunges. I think that the best thing to do is get some good supplements. I do not like doctors. I feel that they make you worse not better. I've been taking JOINT VIBRANCE by Vibrant Health it seems to really help my knee pain and swelling. You have to take it everyday you can't stop and you can buy it on line or at your near by GOOD HEALTH FOOD store not your neighborhood grocery store.  SOO to your health

Spunky fit lady
I am an active 47 year old woman with patellar femoral problems. I had 2 yrs of phy therapy back in 2005, aqua therapy, Iontophersis, ultrasound, deep massage, ice, etc...mri at that time said basically that I had mild OA, and the beginnings of some bone spurs. Normal ligatments, tendons, joint fluid, acl and meniscus--all ok! I was told to do strengthening at the gym and lose weight. I embarked on a weight loss program and lost 40 lbs over 1 1/2 year and started to walk and then joined a gym. I did the eliptical, the treadclimber, and weight machines until Oct of last year, I started 3-4 x weekly classes. Then my gym closed and I moved to another one, with better classes that challenged me more and I increased my routine with more sqats and lunges in a body pump class, and that is when my knee (l) acted up. A recent x-ray showed medial problems, and patella femoral pain, knee cap is hypermobile and they want to give my Synvisc, since I still have cartilage. Problem, I may need cortisone first according to my insurance, but I am considering the Synvisc----what do these shots fell like, I have heard horror stories........are they really that painful? I am currently in pt, taking Celebrex, icing and modifying my exercise routine.  thanks lisa
I had my last Synvisc injection on Friday, Oct 3rd at 10:00 AM at USC Medical Center in Los Angeles! By 5:00 PM by knee was twice the size, my muscles and tendons were cramping horribly, and I had spastic movements of my leg moving from knee backwards, I was in HORRID PAIN!! The worst! I called USC at 4:00 AM, as I thought it would all pass, but that was my mistake, should've called earlier! The doctor who gave me the injection DID NOT return my call, but an associate did! She told me to get to the nearest emergency room immediately! I now live 90 miles NE of L.A. we just moved here! Fortunately we chose our area because of excellent medical care, good banking and shopping, I am 65 and a retired music producer from L.A. area!  The hospital emergency room immediately gave me an injection for pain, my blood pressure was way high, my blood sugar was over the hill! They also  gave me a muscle relaxor, steroids, and antibiotic that are heavy strength. By 11:00 I could be released and purchased all the medicines at the local pharmacy. I spent Sat & Sunday flat in bed, my knee and leg could not work to stand or even move! I have a mobility small scooter. It got me into the bathroom, only sponge baths for me! I have been in agony ever since, I followed up with my general practitioner today and she suggested that Synvisc be sued and taken off the market, I could've and may still lose the use oof my leg! I am visting my Beverly Hills attorneys tomorrow! This is so wrong! Was this produce/medication/?? ever tested What were the test results that ended up to allow this product/medication on the market?/ It takes years and years of double blind studies to get any product/medication on the market? I will insist to see the test results before this product/medications was licensed! Any comments are welcome! If you are reading this to research this medication, take heed. If you have not had any injections, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO NOT TAKE THEM AT ALL! YOU ARE TAKING YOUR LIFE AND YOUR KNEE AND LEG INTO GRAVE DANGER!  STAY AWAY FROM SYNVISC! These doctors get huge fees to use this product from all insurance companies! They get up to $8,000 for thesse 3 inejections in my area! That is highway robbery! PLEASE TAKE  HEED!!!!
I'm a 48 year old active male who had meniscus surgery on my left knee in 1977 and on my right knee in 1979 (old school on the left, arthroscopic on the right). I have experienced OA for several years now but has gotten worse recently due to increased activity levels.

I decided to see an Orthopaedic recently to determine where the medicine/technology is today and he recommended Synvisc (although he gave me a cortisone injection on that visit which did next to nothing for me). My insurance company only approved the left knee (it's worse) so I started with this two weeks/shots ago. The improvement was immediate. Two weeks later and I'm pain free and limp free. The joint feels cushioned and lubricated. Just incredible. Additionally, my right knee now feels much better because I no longer favor it so much.

This approach has worked great for me and I'm hopeful it will keep me off the table for many years.  
My husband and I both have a plethera of long term knee issues.  For him: OA, ACL reconstruction, bone-on-bone issues (46yrs).  As for me: Condromalatia- petella femural issues, maybe not sure meniscus tears, chronic swelling (44yrs).  But everytime either of us have stepped into our doctor's office they have pushed these shots without shame. My husband has had limited success with several 3x trails, reduced pain for 3-4 months but his knees have just slowly worsened.  I had no noticeable success from the shots, (can't remember the name brand, sorry) and much better success from working very diligently with a good PT.  

I do believe some doctors and PAs push these shots indiscriminately for any knee pain as they are big money makers. Our insurance have covered them so far, but it appear from our statements that the doctors office bills our insurance over $1200 for each shot.    I have an appointment with a new doctor as I got sick of refusing the shot treatment and hope to find a doctor interested in more then generating money.

BTW -  About the pain, neither of us have found the shots very painful.  
  I wrote a blog entry (http://jpstillwater.blogspot.com) recently with regard to my initial nightmare experiences with SynVisc.  That was ten days ago.  Since then, my left knee has swelled up to twice its size, my calf muscles have become hard as a rock, I experience terrible burning pain below my knees because apparently the hyaironic acid has escaped my knee joint and seeped down into my legs, my ankles have doubled in size and I can barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen.

Does anyone have a class action lawsuit I can join?

Here's my blog entry on the subject:

"Jello Shots": From healthy Woman Warrior to old lady crip in just one day....

(Photos are of my father and mother on their wedding day and a birds-eye view of my knees when they first started to swell)

Boy, old people are my absolute heroes. Those people are truly BRAVE! I used to think that I was being all fierce and courageous to go off to Iraq and Afghanistan -- but that was a walk in the park compared to facing down the terrors of old age. I found that out last Saturday.

Recently I went off to a knee doctor to ask him if he could do anything to relieve the minor discomfort in my knees, and he replied, "We can inject gel into your cartilage area and that will help you a lot -- it will lubricate your joints and keep you pain-free for approximately one year."

You are going to inject gel into my knees? "Jello Shots!" I cried. "Go for it."

Well, I got a reaction to the SynVisc hylan and suddenly my left knee was all swollen, my right knee was the size of a cantaloupe, I was in incredibly intense pain and couldn't even walk. Was I now going to have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair? It looked that way.

"Jane, that's really a sad story," you might say, "but what's your point?"

My point is this -- do you have ANY idea how hard it is to not be able to walk, to live in constant pain, to have whatever active life you may have had suddenly disappear, to depend on others constantly for help and to get sympathetic looks from strangers at first and then suddenly completely disappear off their radar?

You have no idea how scary this is.

It took me a half an hour to shuffle across the street to the Berkeley Bowl to buy food because there was nothing left to eat in my apartment. One-half hour. They had to hold up traffic for me.

Once at the store, a clerk put me in one of those electric wheelchair cart thingies that the Bowl provides for little old ladies. "This isn't the REAL me!" I wanted to cry as benevolent shoppers got out of my way.

I filed a drug-side-effect report on the FDA's MedWatch website, but would doing that bring back my health? Probably not.

Then I shuffled off to my doctor's office and sat in the waiting room and cried. "Two years ago I was teaching school in a former bantustan in South Africa," I blubbered, "and now look at me!" I looked like all my doctor's other REALLY OLD patients, with walkers and crutches and aides and wheelchairs and canes.

I have just entered the Home of the Brave.

PS: Today would have been my mother's 96th birthday. She died in her sleep from a stroke at age 79. One day she was as healthy as a horse and the next day she was dead. Not so with my father. He died a long, lingering, painful death -- but during all the time that I watched my father suffer so much from prostate cancer and congestive heart failure, shrinking from a robust 6'1" to a tattered and grey 5'7" in less than a year, I never heard even one word of complaint cross his lips.

I had my Synvisc shots a month and a half ago and I am now in very little pain. Also, much improved mobility and flexibility overall. I still need knee surgery but I am not in the agonizing pain that I was in.
Franko
  I am 58 have been extremely active as far as runnning,biking,weight lifting Tai Chi etc..About two years ago, the wear and tear,of knee joints became unberarable...I had to stop running, and climbing stairs became a painful chore...riding the stationary bike, was even painful...so I quit all aerobic exercise(except tai chi..which is really not) and decided that I would give my body a chance to heal itself..I also have been a health nut
vitamins etc..BUT this did not happen...went to primary care,then ortho...the PA suggested Synvisc...At first the knees swelled...and I thought, yea another scam to generate money..BUT about 8 week later, the pain I began rowing(machine)...and was eventually able to ride the stationary bike..Climbing stairs is "less" painful,BUT I do not have to crouch over while climbing them.
  Like all medicines it works for some but not for all..For me, the pain has been reduced to about  50%...and I am able to do the aerobic activities....(no running)...I wish everyon the best, and keep an open mind and a positive attitude to the product(if used) and life in general..if you cant do heavy aerobics, try tai chi or yoga...wish all the best!!!
I've read every comment.

I had arthroscopic surgery the end of Aug 2008 for a meniscus tear.  The doctor also decided to clean out the arthritis PLUS reshape my bone while he was there.

I've had nothing but pain since.  Lots of PT, a shot of cortisone, still no relief.  Now he wants to do the Sinvisc injections, only I'm not convinced it is the thing to do.

Talked him into another MRI which I will not find out results for a week.

I'm WAY worse off after the surgery than before.  I think that Dr. need to give more information about possible outcomes prior to surgery, so people can make better choices.

The whole thing just stinks.

Donna
I've had severe knee pain for the past 5 years. I've tried phyical therapy, water exercises, and avoiding stairs altogether. My primary care doctor referred me to an Orthopedic surgeon recently. After an MRI on my right knee and x-rays of both knees, the ortho dr said my knees were "shot" and I should think about knee replacements (yes, both knees). I'm very overweight, and want to try losing that weight through lap-band surgery (but that's another story) before having my knees done. As an interim measure, I'm having the Synvisc injections in both knees. My younger sister had the injections in one knee and thought it worked wonderfully. She had her other knee replaced.

Anyway - I've had 2 of the injections and go for the last (3rd) next week. I didn't notice immediate relief, but my research indicated it can take a few weeks for the effects to be felt. My dr also told me that. Since the dr didn't give me an patient info about the injections, I went on Synvic's web-site  and printed out a copy from there. It gave all the relevant information about side effects, serious side effects, and states definitively that if a patient has any allergies to feathers, eggs, or poultry they should not have the injections.

When my dr gave me my injections, first he numbed the injection site with lidocaine. When the Synvisc injection was given, I felt pressure, but no pain. I had small bruising at the injection site, and minor swelling for the rest of the day and the next day - but ice and motrin helped.

I'm hoping the entire series will help me get through a few months with less pain. I feel bad that some of you have had such horrible experiences with the procedure. It sounds like lots of research and lots of questions would be the best way to approach this.
I'm 54 yr old female - had a problem/reaction to Synvisc. Few days after 3rd injection knee swelled/filled with fluid. Got it drained & got shot of cortisone. Doc said reaction to Synvisc would have been more severe & possibly infected. 3 days later swelled/filled with fluid again. Had it drained - this time kept it compressed, elevated & iced.  Got MRI - showed lots of fluid, signs of previous surgery (had meniscal tears & 2 scopes in last 5 yrs plus mild OA) but nothing else significant. It was still swollen, fluid filled, very uncomfortable & I was walking on crutches (what little I could walk) and laying in bed the rest of the time.  My doctor suggested I get it scoped again - but said he couldn't guarantee anything because the MRI didn't really show anything to explain swelling/fluid. Given I couldn't live with a chronically swollen, fluid-filled knee I couldn't bear weight on I scheduled surgery.  2 days before surgery - swelling/fluid is gone (after 2 - 1/2 weeks) and knee feels 90% better.  I called doc & cancelled surgery.  I can't help - after reading some of these posts - think I had a reaction to the Synvisc. Doc keeps saying NO - these posts say otherwise as do the side effects I read about on informational sites about Synvisc.  Don't know why my Doc is so resistant to entertaining that possibility - sounds like his reaction isn't uncommon.
I'm a year out since my injections. I had a systemic reaction to Synvisc. I am still dealing with the symptoms throughout my body. I'm an avid outdoor person who, prior to the injections, pushed my body to it's physical limit near daily. Since the injections, I can't sustain a regular workout routine without hitting a wall that puts me down for weeks.

Keep in mind that if you have sensitivities to chemicals, this is not the product you should use. Also consider what is being injected into your body.

Formaldehyde and divinyl sulfone are both crosslinked in the processing and are allowed in permissible levels. Both are highly toxic chemicals, and the effects can be lasting.

Don't make the same mistake I did.
I am a 50 year old female with the right knee of a 75 year old woman. I have OA. I am 6 weeks out recovering from surgery for a torn meniscus. I don't feel there is any improvement. I had pt for 5 weeks following surgery - seemed  to get worse instead of better. I am considering injections, but am getting nervous after reading some of the comments.  Last year my right knee locked up, swelled and was very painful. I received a cortizone shot and it was like an instant cure. It has been fine ever since. 7 months ago my left knee went out. I had 3 different cortizone shots about a month apart but there was no relief. I thought surgery would fix it. While repairing the torn meniscus, the doctor discovered that I have severe arthritis and bone on bone in some areas. He says eventually I will have to have a total knee replacement. He said some people get relief from the injections while others don't. Did any of you ask your doctor what the success rate was of his/ her  patients?

Can anyone tell me after the injections, do you have to stay off of your feet and keep your leg up? How many days off your feet?

Thank you
I am 33 years old and have been recently diagnosed with chondromalacia in my left knee. Cortisone, steroids, and NSAIDS have done nothing to improve my pain. Had knee scoped in February to rule out any other problems. Nothing else was found, but doctor said my cartilage was very soft. He has now suggested Synvisc injections. They are not routinely used for my condition, but knee specialists in a major city close to where I live have been using it with good results. Is there anyone who has had the Synvisc injections for chondromalacia?

It is recommended that after a Sunvisc injection you elevate you leg and stay off it for a day.  I found this to be true. After my first injection I ran errands before heading home and had more discomfort in my knees for the next couple days. For my next 2 injections I went straight home and stayed off my feet and didn't have nearly the discomfort as the first time. Ice and/or heat may also help for the first day or so. Good luck with your treatment.

47 y/o female, torn cartiladge was removed from left knee at age 14 - arthritis started then too.  The cartiladge in my right knee is worn away completely.  I had my first synvisc injections in 1998.  I'm getting my 4th set of injections right now.  Tomorrow I get my 2nd round of injections.  After this 1st round of injections from last week, I couldn't walk for 2 days.  Even the slightest amount of weight on my knees hurt intensly - knees buckling, wobbling front/back - completely unstable feeling like my knees were being broken in half and ready to colapse beneath my weight.  The other times I had the injections, by the 2nd or 3rd I would have a hard time walking a day or two with one knee affected much more than the other but this time they both hurt intensly from the injections although I can already feel a more slippery surface for my bones to rub on, which is part of the problem.  Until the swelling goes down the synvisc can't settle in.  It must loosen up all the bone chips and joint so much that it makes my knees unstable.  I've used ice everyday since my first injections 6 days ago and my right knee is still having intermittent intense pangs of pain - enough to keep me from sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time.  If I didn't know from experience that it does help my knees in the long-run (usually about 5-6 weeks after first injections is when I really notice the benefit), I wouldn't put myself through this.  IT IS EXTREMELY INTENSE PAIN & SWELLING for me anyway!  But I know it will get better.  Today I say I won't do it again but my only other option now is replacement knees.  The Dr. says my knees are too far gone for arthrosopy surgery to make any difference.  Does anyone have any information to disagree with that?  If so please reply.  Also, has anyone had the Gender Solutions High-Flex Knee for replacements done?  If so please reply with how they are doing for you.
Thanks,

Julie
The doctor’s office which is scheduled to do my injections on Friday told me that he doesn’t numb the area, that the numbing needles hurt more than the actual injection.

I have had dozens of injections in my big toes for years (ingrown toenails) and when done right, with freezing beforehand, the numbing injections hardly hurt at all. And I go to a wonderful podiatry practice, where they are very gentle and sensitive.

But I am still completely terrified of most needle injections, especially in certain areas. I can get very upset (racing heart, tears) at such procedures. Have never had any injections in my knees. I picked up the actual dosages, in packaged needle form (I can hardly bear to look at them), from my pharmacy. If I have to switch to another doctor, who will numb my knees first, can I just take the dosages to the new doctor?

I am also worried about side affects. I am an active, generally healthy 46 year old(problem is mostly the result of 31 years of patellar instability, which I have largely managed by making my knees stronger).  My husband can not drive for several weeks due to his own health issues. If there is a risk that the injections may cause side affects that effect simple things like driving and walking, that is a huge issue for us.

I can be very sensitive to routine medications such as antibiotics and painkillers (I avoid them as much as possible). Have never had anything like Synvisc in my body.

Is it unreasonable to call the doctor and ask him about the numbing and side affects issue? He seems quite keen on this treatment.

Thanks for any advice.
I had meniscus repair Dec 2nd did all the right things, therapy, ice elevation, rest the rest of Dec and the first couple of weeks in Jan.  The swelling and discomfort continued and the Doc gave me a cortizone shot  I had a severe headache and some stomach upset for about 36 hours after the cortisone shot. It helped for a couple of weeks only.  Now I am scheduled for the series of Synvisc shots and am concerned that I may have a similar reaction.  Has anyone else experienced headache and stomach upset with the Synvisc shots?
I'm 59 and have been walking with a limp for a year now. I had the Supartz injections the end of December and beginning of January. For one month (mid January to mid February) everything seemed fine. Then for a reason I don't know my knee swelled and I am having trouble walking and it makes it hard to sleep. My doctor had put me on steroids for 7 days which did nothing. I saw the orthopedist 3 weeks ago. He kind of blew me off telling me that where I feel the most pain isn't where most of my problem is. He put me on an anti-inflammatory for 2 weeks. After taking them for 6 days the swelling hadn't gotten any better so I stopped taking them. I scheduled another appointment with him for the 17th of April. I don't think the swelling is from the injections since it took a month for it to happen but something is going on in the joint.  I think he should clean the joint since I have arthritis, bone spurs, chondromalasia petela and very little meniscus. If he does hopefully then my knee will fell better.
I had the Synvisc injections about 2 months ago for chondromalacia patella.  They didn't help very much.  I am now scheduled for the HemiCAP implant surgery.  Has anyone had this surgery???
I had the synvisc shot in my Right knee over 2 years ago, and I  will be getting them again  in a few days. I was completely satisfied
What is the diagnosis on your knee??
I ripped my meniscus in my left knee while walking May 06, had surgery to repair it, dr also removed some arthritis, always was a little stiff, but flaired up bad about 2 months ago. received a cortisone shot, helped 2 days, then pain returned just as bad. After talking to my dr decided on synvisc shots. I've gotten all 3 shots, but pain is still there.Dr did tell me that it could take up to 6 -7 weeks to feel full effect, and that I could also get a cortisone shot. I read on the internet that synvisc works in about 50% of people, asked my dr this and he agreed with that statement. Trying to put off having  knee replacement as long as possible. I get up from sitting or riding in a car and I can't walk for a few minutes, has anyone else had this problem of having to wait so long to see effects. I am 54 years old  and bone on bone on the interior of my knee. Thanks.
42 years old--surgeon wants to get me to 50 before knee replacements.  I'm a P.E. teacher, so that didn't sit well with me at all.  I'm due for my 3rd Synvisc injection this Fri.

After my 2nd injection, my knees remained very stiff and I am experiencing constant aching / pain in both knees.  Today, after work, I noticed a tingling / numbing sensation below my left patella.  Has anyone experienced this??

Diagnosis:  late stage arthritis in both knees; Baker's cyst in left knee.
RE: Synvisc
Compound fracture of my right distal femur 1977. Osteotomy of injury site 1983. Lived with a high degree of pain since the original accident. I am not a candidate for knee replacement due to the severity and complexity of the injury and previous surgeries. Just had my 3rd Synvisc shot and I feel fine. My pain level has decreased by 90% since the 2nd injection and I am elated. I went into this very low expectations due to the fact that I am not a typical OA case. As Such I highly recommend consideration of the Synvisc treatments.
Hi--I am new here and would appreciate any information some of you folks with more synvisc experience have. I just had my second synvisc shot two days ago and have a third scheduled for next week.  After the first shot I had some pain, but not much after the second shot.  I am "jealous" of those on here who report almost immediate relief after the first shot.  Am wondering if anyone has had three shots and not have it work?

I had meniscus surgery on my left knee a couple of years ago and find that knee seems to "crack".  It doesn't buckle or feel unstable but a feeling more similar to "cracking" the knuckles on your fingers-- but "bigger."  Do you know if synvisc might relieve this as well?

I am very overweight, but was very active until the meniscus surgery a couple of years ago, and know that a good and rigorous exercise program is key for me keeping my weight under better control...sorta feels like a difficult cycle to get out of without getting my knees working again  :-)

Thanks for any of your thoughts and experiences.

Jan
I had all three shots, the last in Feb. and did not receive any noticeable relief. My ortho dr wasn't too optimistic about the synvisc working for me since my knees are bad enough that he says replacement is the only option left. I'm also very overweight and with my knees in such bad shape, walking for exercise is out of the question. I'm getting ready to have lap-band surgery on June 29. My ortho dr said that hopefully 6 months after that I could have knee replacements done and it would be successful, that my weight loss should be stabilized by then. I hope the synvisc works for you. Best wishes.
Can anyone tell me what kind of cost is involved with the Synvisc injections?  I have no insurance, have had 4 cortisone shots, not working anymore, I understand there is a new Synvisc, which is only 1 shot?  any info would be helpful
I had synvisc a year and a half ago and it did wonders. I was at least 90% better. Then my knees had a bad flare-up and I had all three again. The third one caused swelling and pain. Now I am having facial pain and headaches. I don't know if it is caused by this or not. Has anyone else had this as a side effect.
It's been about 10 days since my third (and last) injection and I am not seeing any improvement yet.  sigh....

When I initially spoke to my orthopedic surgeon, he thought I was a good candidate.  I only have a very small amount of "bone on bone" and varying levels of wear in other parts of the knee.  I so hope that these shots start working soon.  :-(

In terms of side effects, after my first shot, I was pretty active walking around and ended up with some pain in the knee and quad area-- it actually felt "hard" right above one of my knees.  This all went away in a few days.

I took it easy after my second shot and had no side effects at all.

I took it easy after my third shot and had some swelling and pain in one of my knees which was alleviated with a couple of ice pack treatments and fine by the next morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I am one of those that these shots work for.
I am a 48 yr old wife and mother and have suffered from OA for more than four years now. I was told it is OA but the pain doesn't seem like it to me. I have SHARP electric pain always in the same place on my right knee. Feels like a deep pain that you can't do anything with, it comes without notice and you never know how long it will last. Even waking me early in the morning with screams it hurts so badly. After two and a half years of cortisone injections, therapy and pain killers, I had arthroscopic surgery 7 weeks ago. Although my knee feels cleaner..my sharp pains are still present. I am going in tomorrow morning for another shot. I really wanted to know more about the synvisc, thinking it might be better for me than the cortisone, but after reading here I am concerned that it is too risky and I can't afford any more pain. I am already recliner bound and taking pain pills just to make it through the day. My husband and children need me.

I don't know if any of you feel the way that I do about it, but I don't think many doctors understand the pain or what we go through and how our lives are completely changed due to this pain. I got lucky and have a really great doc that understands me, after many that didn't. It's debilitating and keeps me from doing everyday activities.

I hope you all get the relief you need and I just want to thank those of you that posted here to help me make my decision easier..I will not be getting the injection of synvisc!
CModel...

I don't know what the sharp pains are about, especially while sleeping, so I can't comment on that-- I've not experience that.

In terms of being afraid of the shots causing side effects, I'd like to share my own  observation.  With absolute respect for the people posting here and their individual (and very informative) experiences, I doubt that people posting on this board are a true random selection of people who have had these shots.

Generally, though not always, people who are seeking advice/opinions are more inclined to do so if they are at the beginning of the investigation process (as you are) or are more likely to have had a negative than a positive result and are either seeking more information or trying to share their experiences with others.  

There is less motivation to come back to a board like this and post if you had a great outcome and are happily on your way enjoying life.  I truly appreciate all of those who have had a positive outcome who do take the time to come back and post.  And I think those who have had a less than optimal outcome provide invaluable advice to others thinking about the treatment.  I just don't think that one can necessarily judge how OFTEN people have side effects and difficult results by the numbers of what you see posted here.

My orthopedic surgeon is not only very well known in his field, but is long term personal friend.  He suggested that 70-80% of his patients who receive this treatment get at least some, if not total, relief for a period of time ranging from 6 month to a year.  He also told me that very few of his patients had side effects beyond some minor swelling for a few days.  This has also been my experience-- except for the instance in which I overdid it right after having my first shot.  And even those side effects were "ok."

Like most treatments or drugs that you take, a portion of the population is going to have side effects, some mild, some not so mild.  I am just suggesting that what we see on these boards MIGHT be a disproportionate number of those people who have had side effects.

By the way, I had my last of three shots a couple of weeks ago and am now starting to feel some improvement especially as I go up and down stairs.  

I am curious if anyone knows the medical or physical reason for why these shots take so long to work.  

The Synvisc website suggests that relief can take up to 8-12 weeks from the first injection.  Does it take that long for the Synvisc to work its way to where it needs to be?  I'm also noticing a reduction in the "moderate" swelling I generally have in my left knee and wonder if that might be part of what is going on.

Jan

My first post - I'm 61 years old and had my first injection of Synvisc yesterday. So far so good - no reaction or pain and in fact, some improvement already. I spent some time evaluating the competing treatments and decided on Synvisc even though it does seem to produce a higher number of reactions than some of the others. I don't have any drug allergies and am fine with poultry products, so felt it would be a safe choice for me. I have a family history of osteoarthritis, and already have had hip surgery (hip resurfacing, not hip replacement) at age 52. I'm an avid fly fisherman and do a lot of walking and hiking, and just wasn't ready for a knee replacement at this point. I will post again as I have the second and third injections.
I'm 54 year old guy and am scheduled to have Synvisc injecktions starting on July 25th for an injury to my left "Ankle"! Has anyone ever heard of this treatment? I am suppose to have one of the best Dr.s in CT. I hope so. This is the last step before surgery...

Gary
If you are not allergic to most of the substances then it is fine and this is the best possible way to avoid surgery. Always go conservative and hope for the best, till/if you require a surgery.  Take care!
I highly encourage anyone considering Synvisc injections to go to this blog and read it first. Then make an informed decision.

http://synviscsurvivor.blogspot.com/

There are other options that DO NOT have toxic chemicals in them. There's also ozone and prolozone therapy that works great and promotes healing in the joint, not just a temporary fix like Synvisc. I went through HELL following Synvisc injections. Thanks to ozone and prolozone, I'm back to an active life.

Go to the above site and read more.
"Like most treatments or drugs that you take, a portion of the population is going to have side effects, some mild, some not so mild.  I am just suggesting that what we see on these boards MIGHT be a disproportionate number of those people who have had side effects."

And that might be true, but no less worthy to warn others about this injection. It's certainly easy to minimize those who had terrible reactions, until it happens to you or someone you love. I personally know of 2 orthos who've stopped using Synvisc because of the reactions in their patients. A highly respected one who was Head of Orthopedics at a medical school said that one of his patients went to a knee replacement sooner...and he believes it was directly linked to Synvisc. I believ it happens more than doctors want to admit. Most hide the numbers anyway.

Until it's your life that is effected, it's easy to dismiss and minimize those who did react, and some whose lives have permanently been effected.

How do you know if you're going to one of "us" or not? Can you really know ahead of time?

I am 59 years old.  I have been getting synvisc injections for almost two years.  I have osteoarthritis, bone spurs, partial tear in meniscus, an old thickness tear in my acl and a bone infarction in my right knee, which is my worst knee.  I get injections in both knees.  I need replacements in boyh knees but my doctor says I have to loose weight first.  I have lost over 100lbs. in the past few years, but he wants more.  I know of many people who are more overweight than I am and their doctors have said ok to surgery.  I am in a lot of pain, stairs are almost imposible and sometimes just simple walking is difficult.  I should have gone back for another series of shots but have been holding back.  Does anyone have a suggestion and does anyone else have a boneinfarction in their knee.  I would appreciate any comments.  Thankyou.    Juditny                                                                                                  

For knee replacement the only criteria is not weight. Where are you in the BMI?

The stage of  arthritis and the years of suffering would determine the time to select knee replacement.  It would depend on the Physiotherapy after the replacement for complete recovery.

Your orthopaedic surgeon might be going conservative and is delaying the operation as this is the final option. Take care!
Has anyone had or know of anyone who has had synvisc injections to the shoulder. if so, please comment on your experience as there is very little data available.
I had sinvisc injections (a series of 3) on my right night several years ago. Since then, I had to change drs. and have recently had supartz injections on both knees. I am having the worst knee pain I've ever experienced in my left knee. I have noticed no improvements at all, and as I said, the pain scale is approx. 75% worse in my left knee. I have had fluid accumulate and the 1st time it was drained, it was immediately better. The last shot I pointed to a pocket of fluid in my knee which the girl ignored that gave me my shot. That was Tuesday. By Friday my knee hurt so badly I could barely walk. Another 45 mile drive to the dr. to have the girl try to remove the fluid-she was unsuccessful, and she gave me a cortisone shot. No improvement at all. When I had the Synvisc shots, I was completely PAIN FREE for over a year! It was wonderful. I don't know what the problem is this time. I believe that the girls that administered the shots did not correctly inject the medicine in the correct place. I also do not understand why she was not able to collect the obvious fluid that pooled in my knee. Instead she apologized for "hitting a vein." Personally, I would do the synvisc with no hesitation. I saw on this site synvisc was $500. I was charged $3,500 for the Supartz. It is apparent to me that I need to find a new dr.
Hello, I am a 58 yr old man who is a former phys ed teacher and athlete. Had total hip replacement 8 yrs ago; 100% successful!  I now have osteo in my left knee and have had cortisone shots which are now ineffective.  Had arthroscopic surgery for torn meniscus 2 yrs ago....some, but not much relief.   I just had my first synvisc injection today.....so far, no pain, no swelling, and no side effects whatsoever. I hope that lasts.  The Dr said it will take several weeks before maximal relief is perceived.  It does seem like there is some small relief already. The injection was given without any anesthetic or freezing....a bit painful, but tolerable, for about 10 seconds or so.  I will keep you informed of my progress in the interest of helping all fellow arthritis sufferers to make informed decisions based on their own needs and history in conjunction with the experiences of others like me.  I wish you all good luck; the knee is a tough place to have continuing daily pain and difficulty.  Eventually, I will need a replacement, just like my father had (he had both knees replaced at 75..very successful,after suffering for many years.  Cleveland Clinic has an excellent orthopedic staff) but I need to buy some time because I am settling an estate at the moment and need time.  God bless.  
I am reading your issue and it is like mine. I had arthoscopic surgery on my left knee last thursday because of knee pain, perceived meniscus tear, swelling and a bakers cyst on the back of my knee.. Just turned 50 yrs old and very active. I hang glide, chase tornados and love to hike and walk. The doc said I have to wait for the knee to calm down (3 months) before he can inject protein into my knee. I take it is like the Synvisc shots. He said that there was a surmountable amount of osteoarthritis in my knee already, that the meniscus was flattened but not torn, just needed trimmed and that I would have to have total knee replacement down the road. He hopes that the injection will help me. I am depressed about this because I thought the arthoscopic was going to work. Someone told me chiropractic could have helped me. Wondering if I should have gone that route. Looking for other alternatives.
Good luck to all. God Bless!

Strhuntrss
I have read all of the comments in here and not one person received all 3 shots at one time like I did. The first one was tolerable..the 2nd one hurt..the 3rd one laid me out. After one day I felt better..at the end of one week I was able to climb steps again but 5 weeks have passed and I am now in so much pain..more than before. I just came from an MRI and am waiting for results.I am so very frustrated.
I have been having synvisc injections for several years. At first I had no side effects, but the last couple of times I have had swelling, pain, and extreme difficulty walking for a day or so. After a few weeks, my knees seem to get better. The most recent set of injections lasted over eight months before I felt the necessity to renew them. The brochure in the doctor's office says to avoid strenuous activity or prolonged standing for 24-48 hours after the injection. In the future I will schedule my appointments so that I can rest for a day. I am trying to avoid knee replacements as long as I can!
Does the injection hurt? Do they numb the area? I am supposed to have my first shot next week and am scared to death of large needles!
It looks like it depends on the doctor doing the injection as to whether they numb the area first. My doctor numbed the area of my knee where the injection would be done. That hurt for a second, then I didn't feel Synvisc injection at all. And I turn my head so I don't watch the needle going in - even for blood draws or whatever. It's just not something I'm comfortable watching :-)  Tell your doctor about your concerns. Good luck with your treatments!!
I've not had the Synvisc, but have had the Euflexxa injection.  I am unable to have Synvisc because I am allergic to feathers, and it states perfectly clear on all literature, if you are allergic to any type of bird products, feathers, poultry, eggs, etc., DO NOT USE!  Euflexxa is made of entirely non-avian products, therefore, does not have the possibility for an allergic reaction to someone who is allergic to bird products.  My ortho gave me all three Euflexxa inejctions at one time (like some orthos do with Synvisc) rather than giving me one injection a week for three weeks.  We both agreed that was best for me because of possibly difficulty in "finding the right spot" (I am a large woman) and also decreasing chances of infection with the injections.  We know the doc found the right spot because when he inserted the needle, he was able to get joint fluid to come out - a clear sign that he was in the joint and not just the muscle/fat/soft tissue.  I have noticed somewhat of a decrease (not complete by any means) of pain while sitting (so long as I don't try to completely straighten my knee), however, I still have the same amount of pain when I stand, walk, bend my knee or try to completely straigten it.  I also have noticed an actual increase in my stiffness and swelling.  The injection was over two weeks ago, so the stiffness and swelling is not just post injection swelling/stiffness.  Therefore, I would say that the injection was not very effective for me.  I have already tried cortisone injections, pain medication, PT, ice, heat, etc.  My ortho has told me that I definitely need knee replacement or fusion of the knee - but we are trying to hold off as long as possible.
(cont'd from other post)

I am only 46, so if we do knee replacement, there is a great chance that I will have to have the surgery repeated at least once.  My ortho is highly recommending the knee fusion as opposed to replacement because of my "young" age and other health issues (asthma, fibromyalgia, lupus).  However, I cannot imagine not being able to ever move my knee again - although at this point not moving my knee and being about to avoid pain sounds pretty good to me!  Most days my pain level is a MINIMUM of an 8 - it makes life extremely difficult - even doing the smallest task is a new experience in PAIN!

I'm not sure if I will consider a second round of the Euflexxa after the six month period - don't think I've seen/felt enough improvement to warrant it.
I've had the third and final injection of Synvisc from my orthopedist, and it is now almost three weeks since.  I can report that there were no side effects, no infections, no adverse effects whatsoever.  The bottom line seems to be that I have approximately a 50% - 60% pain reduction when putting weight on my affected knee.  While not a cure, and a temporary measure, it does serve my purpose, which is to "buy time" until which time I have knee replacement done.  Being that I have some osteoarthritis in other joints as well (but not as bad as the knee), walking is more tolerable, but not entirely free from some discomfort.
I wish everyone good luck in their quest to help themselves and thank those who took the time to post their remarks in here and share.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.............Yuri
It seems like synvisc and similar treatments can really do some good, but only in the short term. In the end, the only long term treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee is total joint replacement (at least until something better comes out). Unfortunately, this can be a pretty costly procedure - especially in the United States. It's no surprise that the medical tourism industry has grown so quickly in recent years (see http://formosamedicaltravel.com/medical-tourism.php), as the procedure is about 80% cheaper in many parts of the world.
Has anybody had a Synvisc One injection?   If the knee pain is on the inside of the leg, does it make a difference that the injection was done on the outside of the leg (in the knee joint, of course)?    I received the "one time" injection 32 days ago, feel only slight relief, and wondering if was injected in wrong place, or  may be it will take a little bit longer for full effect of the treatment.  

Lantz3
Before you consider synvisc you should do your research and make sure you go to this blog.

www.synviscsurvivor.blogspot.com

This person has put together a very informative site.
I did not have a Synvisc injection, but rather a Euflexxa inejction because I am allergic to feathers - the Euflexxa is a non-avian form of the same medication they use for Synvisc.  My doc did a three-in-one injection with the Euflexxa, similar to what the Synvisc I is like.

I also had my injection on the outside of my knee (in the joint), even though a great deal of my pain is in the inside of my knee.  I asked my ortho surgeon who did the injection about this as he was prepping my knee and he said he was doing it that way BECAUSE of my pain on the inside - he was worried that I would experience a lot more discomfort from the inejction if he injected me where I was hurting the most.  It could be that's why your doc did the same thing.

I had slight improvement for a short time with the injection, but it definitely did not last too long - and nowhere near the 6 months that they say it could.  In fact, I had my injection done a little over a month ago and already I'm back to where I was before the injection.  I go back to my surgeon next week and will be asking him how long I have to wait before trying a second round.  My hope is that with a second round I might get better and longer relief.  I've already been told I need knee replacement  or knee fusion surgery, but since I'm only 46, I'm attempting to postpone these options as long as possible.

I hope this info was helpful.
It was so nice to find this site as I've had knee issues for years...I had the SynVisc-One injection today in my right knee.  History of my right knee - I had my knee scoped for a meniscus tear and arthritis in May of '08 and followed that up with the three series of SynVisc injections that fall.  I'm fairy active and play on a women''s ice hockey team, golf, bike and walk as much as I can but I limp on occasion, have daily soreness, have trouble with stairs, and have/feel a constant need to stretch my knee. I've recently lost 25 pounds and am continuing to diet in hopes that this will also help. Now, I'm going to a new ortho doc in CT - he suggested three alternatives: physical therapy and SynVisc-One, an osteotomy and, finally, a knee replacement. So, here I am a year later, trying the one shot deal, hoping that this will offer relief until I have no choice but to go to another suggested option.   I will continue to post with updates.  
I had my first Synvisc injection this week and I think childbirth might be less painful. They do not numb you--I felt everything and almost jumped off the table. I cried leaving the office and for about 2 hours when I got home from the burning and stinging sensations in both knees. Don't know if I will go back for #2 next week--it is that painful
I'm surprised your doc didn't numb you before giving you the injection - mine did (mine was Euflexxa, not Synvisc, but still same type of injection/medication).  For me, the numbing injection was the worst part of it - he was trying to make sure that I was very sufficiently numb and go deep enough, but by doing so, I was getting electric shocks down to the very tips of my toes.  With the actual medicaton injection I felt pressure and some "fullness", but not actual pain.  I can imagine it would be extremely painful without being numbed up since they need to get the injection into the joint in order to be really effective.  In my case, we know the doc was in the joint because there was joint fluid running down my leg - don't even want to think how it would have felt to have that needle jabbed into my knee joint (which was already miserablly painful) if I hadn't been numbed up.

If you do decide to go back for another injection, I would suggest definitely requesting your doc numb you up.  I think some docs might be hesitant to do the numbing because it means two injections as opposed to just the one, but for me, there's no other option in my opinion.  Most docs will numb you if you request it, even if it's something they don't normally do.

another option you may want to consider next round if you find that this round of Synvisc helps you, is to go with the Synvisc One injection rather than "regular" Synvisc.  With the Synvisc One, all three doses of the "medication" are injected at one time, as opposed to having to go back three different times for single injections.  Again, I would request to be numbed up.  My doc did this same "variety" with my injection, even though mine was Euflexx, and even though it doesn't necessarily have a proposed treatment plan showing this type of injection.  My ortho surgeon who did my injection does know of other docs that have done it with the Euflexxa, so I was very comfortable with having him do it that way.  I was also much happier with the idea of only one (well two with the numbing injection) injection as opposed to having to go back three weeks in a row for injections.

Obviously I am not a doctor and am definitely not telling you what you should or shouldn't do or try - only trying to give you my input from my own experience.  Don't be afraid to talk to your doc when you go back and tell him how much it hurt you and ask about being numbed up for the next round of shots.

Best of luck!
My wife just had an injection. The doctor missed the joint and injected it into the PCL. He said that happens once a month! Has anyone ever heard about this?? Will the injection still work? Is there any damage from this?
Remember, doctors are in business to make $$$$$, so don't give in to their first suggestions. They will certainly tell you practically anything to separate you (or your insurance company) from your wallet.

Get second, or even third opinons, if necessary, and try a D.O. instead of a regular MD. However, the best thing to do is to go to the official Synvisc web site, www.synviscone.com, click on the Find A Doctor link, and they show a list of doctors that they recommend to inject Synvisc.
57 year old ex amateur high ranking tennis player. Had left hip resurfacing 7 years ago. Just had my left knee scoped for the 2nd time, nothing much left in there, bone on bone. Ortho said i will need a replacement at some point. Knee is stiff and hurts. I can ride a bike, walk but cant play tennis, or run, and walking long distance playing golf hurts as well. Ortho said why not try synvisc so i am giving it a shot next Monday. He also said he would schedule me for clinical trial using stem cells as well. I will keep you posted.
Just had my third injection.  This one bled really badly at the injection site.   Not much relief from first or second injections, don't expect much from this one either, but, hey, I'll try anything before surgery.      
My knee is so swollen and stiff, feels like jelly inside so I sometimes feel like the joint is shifting when I stop, then turn.  I even have numbness and shin splint type pain when sitting.    Not totally convinced this is the way to go.    
May just go with surgery next time.
I am a 46 year old male that just completed my third injection of synvisc. Two days after first injection I started having cold feet and hands. A couple days later a tingling feeling on my face. Told the doctor about reactions. Called company they acted like this was an unusual reaction. My knee feels better but still having these side effects. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Holy cow.  I had this injection 4 days ago.  The injection didnt hurt anything like a cortozone shot.  I didnt even need numbing.  The problem is I have had every side effect in the entire world.  I have been tired, shaking, numbness in hands and my knee hurts like holy hell in the spot where they nailed me.  I dont think i was allergic to bird feathers, but maybe I was?  I have the worst stress headache feeling headache. I have a tens unit for the pain.  Once the unit is off the pain starts back up.  I had SUPARTZ.  How long do these side effects last for?
I will be getting the Synvisc shots soon.  It seems there are a lot of mixed results.  I trust my doctor and pray I will be among the ones who have a good outcome.  

However, after reading all the comments, only one person mentioned their weight.  I have OA and a lot of torn/worn cartilages in both knees.  The shots were recommended by my orthopedist.  I weigh about 400 lbs and know that weight is a primary cause of my knee problem.  I am 58 years old and do not exercise.  I do work everyday.

I assume that weight is probably an issue after getting the shots and based on some of the comments I should stay off my feet and keep them elevated for 1 to 2 days.  

Most of you are pretty active, so I assume weight is not an issue.  For those of you who are overweight, did you experience any problem after being on your feet after the shots?

Ms. W
I am 75 years old and an avid tennis player.  About 2 years ago I received the series of 3 synvisc shots to treat a diagnosed worn cartledge in my left knee.  The treatment did work and I continued playing tennis 6 days per week.  Every six months since the original treatment, I repeated them very successfully. I started my 4th series last week and experienced a swollen knee joint and lots of pain when trying to walk.  This lasted 2 days and I did return to the tennis court.  By the time for the second shot, I was completely pain free.  Yesterday I had the second shot and again experienced the pain and swollen condition.  I was surprised because the first 3 series of synvisc did not result in either pain or a swollen condition.  My orthopedic surgeon was at a loss to explain why this condition to the shots occurred.  He said "knees are complex joints and sometime respond to the injections in unpredictable ways"   It is now 24 hours since yesterdays shot, and a lot of the pain is gone.  I will take a short walk later and try to play some tennis tomorrow.  
I will do almost anything to avoid knee replacement surgery.  I have heard too many horror stories from people who have undergone knee replacement.  Their tennis life is ended and some are never out of pain.  In fairness, some have had remarkable results with knee replacements.  This is a very good blog for people to discuss their knee problems.  One can get a very informed education about their knees reading the comments posted.  I'll let you know how the 3rd shot affects me next week.

bobgailw
I am overweight myself and had my first shot last Friday, I dont feel any better yet, but no sides effects or pain...just a little soreness at the injection site. I was out shopping after my shot for about an hour, the Dr did not tell me to stop doing anything. I am looking forward to my next 2 shots, i sure hope it works, i have a hard time with any kind of steps and are a nightmare.
I am a 24 year old fit healthy female. After xrays and mri scan i have been diagnosed with patella chondromalacia in my left knee. (I have never had an accident or damaged my knee ever. It just started crunching and causing pain)  I had physio for 6 months which didnt make any difference. In January i had the synvisc injections in my left knee 1 a week for 3 weeks. i was bed ridden for 2-3 days after each injection due to pain and stiffness. 2 weeks after the last injection, the swelling and pain in my knee was unbelievable, i returned to the orthopaedic consultant to find i had had an allergic reaction to the injections, (even though i am not allergic to chickens, eggs or feathers) and am now on 3 weeks sick from work. I was prescribed tramadol and naproxen for 3 weeks. I started to come off the tablets 4-5 days ago, and had serious side effects resulting in the pain returning with avengence! After finally getting in touch with the doctor, i am back on the tramadol and naproxen, but have to return to work in 3 days due to sick pay running out!!!! Doc says i am going to need steroid injections, but after everything iv gone through, iv lost all faith in doctors and consultants, especially when the consultant told me the synvisc probably wouldnt work!
Has anyone else had to undergo synvisc at the age of 24? Any side effects like this? I am really worried the damage done to my knee is irreparable.
Horrible reaction to second round of synvisc. Extreme pain, swelling, unable to use legs at all for three days -- now barely hobbling around -- still swollen with pain.   On many meds -- MRI shows huge amount of effusion.   If I had known this was risk would not have gotten.  I was a competetive dancer and performer who was trying to  improve chronic arthritic pain at age 48, now I am nearly crippled by this.  Doctor is excellent, and thinks this will go away -- my advice - do NOT get this, or if you try -- only get in ONE knee at a time!!
I tore my acl in the right knee 8 yrs ago. 2 yrs later a different doctor had 2 redo the 1st mess that left me with osteomylitis( infection in the bone). Since then a total of 7 knee surgeries in the right and 2 in left. I have arthritis and worn down cartlidge. I am 32 now and was told I need 2 knee replacements and can't get it till I am 40. Now he wants me to get the synvisc injections. I feel like an 80yr old lady. Does any one think these injections will help?
My knees are bone on bone too, I am 54, i had the shots about 2 weeks ago (all 3 over 3 weeks) and it has NOT helped me in the least. I think once the knees get so bad, it just doesnt help.  I am gonna try cortisone next.
Good Luck with yours.
I am so disappointed that the shots didnt work, I heard about them from someone @ the gym who thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread....I didnt read up on the shots, i just quickly made an appointment with her DR, never thinking that they wouldnt work for me....it has left me feeling depressed about ever feeling any better. I know that I need to lose weight, but I have a friend who lost weight and she said that her knees were so bad by then that the weight loss didnt help...I am gonna try some cortisone shots next, but I know they dont help forever, I am just trying to put off knee surgery for as long as possible.
Good Luck to all.
After my second injection in each knee on 1/3/10, that night I developed GERD, nausea, heartburn and lightheadedness.  This has lasted over two months.  Then mid January, I started itching.all over my body. Then developed jaundice.   Haad ERCP test which came out atypical. Will repeat this test.   I am a very healthy 77 year old woman who has never had any of the above problems in my life.  I have no diseases other than arthritis in my knees.  No diabetes, I have relatively low blood pressure - avg. 112/60, low cholesterol, no history of any illnesses.  I have felt bad since that second set of injections and am still undergoing tests for my liver and bile.  The ERCP test shows a blocked bile duct, in which a stent was inserted.  Jaundice is finally fading a bit.  Still slightly yellow from jaundice.  I wish I had never heard of synvisc.  I cannot prove any relationship, except I don't believe in coincidences.  Being extremely healthy up to the injections and now underoing all this at one time, I cannot but help believe that I have had a really bad reaction.  I believe that the synvisc went into my body and settled in the bile ducts.  As I said, I cannot prove this, but it just seems logical to me.  I wish it had worked,   My knees hurt as much as ever before.
I am going to have my 3 shot of synvisc tomorrow so far so good.  The first time around I was so happy with the results.  It was instant the relief I felt.  For the past 4-5 years I have had knee pain, taking all sorts of over the counter meds and presc. meds from my doctor.  I read about synvisc in a mag. I spoke to my doctor about it and we decided to try it before complete knee replacement on both knees.  I had my second shot last Wednesday. Still doing well but not 100%.  My expectations are to have free movement on both my knees when I am through with all the series.  I read the horror stories and the good ones from other sites.  I am hoping to do well.  I am not overweight and keep pretty active.  I am almost 55 years of age.  I have a friend that had a bad reaction to synvisc on his 3rd injection. His expectation were also high.  Good luck to those that are going to have them done.  I hope all those people that did not have a good turn out please keep doing research.  New procedures are out there everyday.    
I was told that I need a cortisone shot a week before the Synvisc injection to reduce the inflammation. Does anyone has to had cortisone shot before Synvisc injection?

Thanks in advance!
I am a 56 year old female  160 lbs 5'11" .  I am not athletic or do I exercise.  I do work for a living.  I have had the three injections with a prior injection of cortisone that did not work (bone on bone)  I had these injections  2 years ago and am proud to report they worked for me and have had no knee problems since.  Knock on wood!!!!

I am concerned? I have the same OA and bone on bone..the (R) Knee is worse than the (L) ...now I am concerned reading all of this? RE: Synvisc>? What to dO??? I am in horrific pain..as you all know.  The doc gave me coritsone last month..now he wishes to do it again..? makes no sense..then he wants to give me the 3 rounds of SynVisc? so yes It worries me..to read all of your posts. But I thank you all...It's interesting....

OceanWalker
I had my third Synvisc injection back in November of last year in my left knee.  So far, the results have been more than satisfactory...the pain reduction is about 80% and I'm very pleased. I will be having Synvisc injections for my right knee shortly, and hope the results are similar.  I had no side effects whatsoever with the prior injections. Cartilage degeneration was due to osteoarthritis; I'm 58 yrs old and have exercised all my life, so I'm physically fit, which I believe contributed to the success of this procedure.  Did not have the knee numbed; it was a bit uncomfortable but nothing I could not stand......and is well worth it, now that I have this perspective.  I'm sorry for those who were not successful, and happy for those whose experience was as good as mine. Remember that no Doctors will guarantee anything; that's just the way it is.  I would think that it is important to have a very good surgeon perform the procedure, simple as it is.
I'll make another post after my next injection to let you all know how it turned out.
Good luck to all....Yuri
I will be having the Synvisc 1 shot soon.  A little nervous after reading some of the bad reactions but very confident in my Doc.  I have had knee problems for over 20 years, am Fand 38.  My left knee has had arthroscopy, been drained and had ACL reconstruction.  I now have bone spurs which are causing discomfort and pain at times.  Not totally unbearable but very annoying and at times limiting my activity.  I would definitely recommend to all to try and keep your legs as strong as possible and to keep the weight down.  
For those of you who are bone on bone I have been told by more than one trusted Doc that these type of injections won't help once you reach that point, which is why I am trying this now before it is too late.
Good luck to all and thanks for all your comments.
Its been 10 weeks since y arthoscopic surgery. I have severe swelling below my knee and in my calf. Last week my doctor drained the fluid( not fun very painful) and gave me a shot.  My leg was good for two days before the swelling returned.  It know throbs because there is so much fluid.  This did not start happenning until 8 weeks after surgery.  Any one hear such a thing?  
I AM 67 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BONE TO BONE KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS. LAST YEAR I HAD EUFLEXXA INJECTIONS WHICH LASTED FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS.I HAD VERY LITTLE DISCOMFORT AND FELT PRETTY GOOD. LAST MONTH I HAD SYNVISC 1 INJECTION AND SAW STARS. IT IS A EXTTREMELY PAINFUL REJECTION PLUS HE HIT A NERVE WHILE ADMINISTERING THE INJECTION.HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT DISCOMFORT WITH THIS SHOT AND I WILL NEVER HAVE IT AGAIN. MY CHOICE WOULD BE THE EUFLEXXA INJECTIONS.
I was hit by a hockey puck at a professional hockey game 16 years ago, in my left knee, inside.  Been having problems with that knee the past 5 years.  Clean up surgery, repair of the meniscus, bone fragments removed.  I have had 7-8 cortisone shots in the past several years.  In May my knee blew, hard to walk on and work.  Job is physical.  I am female, 56 years old and very active with the work I do.  I just today finished my 3rd synvisc shot.  I had relief with the first one.  Did what the doc said, no activity for a day or two following.  I feel great.  I got lidacaine first, then the shot.  I am so encouraged with how I feel with these shots.
I have been battling some type of rheumatological disease since 2006 (currently diagnosed with RA).  Responding well to methotrexate 6 tablets weekly in addition to colcicine for pseudgout.  I have been to over 15 rheumatologists and orthopedic doctors trying to stop inflamation in my right knee.  Unfortunately, RA destroyed my right knee and most of my right hip before they got the inflamation under control.  I learned a lot from the dozens of office visits and thousands of dollars spent.  As a result, I developed my own set of rules and theories I want to share with you.  I am doing much better after 4 years of hell, but the damage is already done.  

1.  If you have an arthritis condition in your knee, don't get it scoped.  You will need all of the meniscus you can get, torn or not.

2.  See more than one doctor and use them as a "team" to help come to a general approach to your problem.  This is easy if you have good insurance.  If not, get a government job...I had to.  

3.  Out of the 12 different doctors that have tried to aspirate my knee, ONLY 2 consistently got fluid out.  Aspirating a joint is a skill and requires a big needle to increase success.  My doctor uses an 18 gauge needle and usually gets 30-60 ccs on a draw.  The other doctors only got 2-5 ccs and blamed it on inflammed joint fluid...lol.

4.  Every time you get fluid pulled, check it for pseudogout.  I have that too.  Google it!  It is one of the most commonly overlooked diseases that causes severe pain and swelling.  Pseudogout is part of the reason it took so long for them to figure my case out.  No one ever checked for it.

5.  Find a local hospital with a polarizing microscope to have your fluid sent to.  Don't let them box it up and ship to some place not local.  Potential gout/pseudgout crystals dissolve if left too long.  Three of my "team" of doctors just discovered this!!  I get my fluid analyed same day.  IT IS A MUST FOR ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS.

6.  Trauma to the knee AND Synvisc injections can cause pseudogout attacks.  GET YOUR FLUID CHECKED PER 5 ABOVE.  You can also get fluid in your hip, elbow, and toes.  Don't be afraid to get it aspirated too!

7.  Get in the habit of telling your doctor what you want done, not what he recommends AND study up on the newest breakthroughs with your problem.  www.clinicaltrials.gov and google gene therapy for your condition.  A perfect example of this is for aspirations.  Some doctors are using an ultrasound to help guide the needle for aspirations.  Kinda makes sense if you think about it.  They use it to find the baby on a pregnant woman; why can't they use it to find the fluid in the knee??? go figure...lol

8.  DID I MENTION GET YOUR FLUID CHECKED EVERY TIME for crystals gout and/or pseudogout.

9.  MAKE SURE YOUR DOCTOR CAN ASPIRATE PROPERLY.  Based on my experience less than 20% are proficient at it.  MAKE SURE THEY USE A BIG NEEDLE TO ASPIRATE (18 GAUGE).  

10.  See an allergist prior to (or after if you have problems) synvisc injections to make sure you aren't allergic to chicken and feathers.  You will be surprised just what you are allergic too....trust me!

11.  Finally, "The polite squeaky wheel gets the oil."  Don't be afraid to change doctors and don't take no for an anwer!  In addition, don't be afraid to for help with the money aspect.  Get to know the office manager on a first name basis.  She handles all of the delinquent accounts.  A little begging never hurt anyone.  It really isn't that hard to do after you have stood in line for food for a few weeks because you spent your money on medical care.  My place actually has some really good food they give out.  And, it is always fun to stand in line with the more talkative people in society to broaden your horizons....lol...jk.    Best of luck!!
I had my first shot today.  It was horrible.  My knees felt wobbly and stiff at the same time.  I yelled out in pain, the doctor said he could not understand why it was so painful, because he made sure he did not hit the bone.  I sat in the room for about eight minutes before I could stand. Thank God my husband was there with me.  I do not think I will do another shot. My knees feel swollen inside even after using an ice pack.  I do not know if numbing the areas before the shot would help. I am beside myself with concern regarding the pain.  I am in my middle forties and I was walking like someone experiencing post knee surgery.